Array
    Status
    Cant Say
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V6

Clearancing

Putting a set of 33's on 12.5 wide with a 20x10 rim. the rim is a moto metal M0970 and claims a 12mm offset. im also running a 2" spacer. how high do i have to go to clear this setup when i turn? it doesnt have to clear lock to lock just as long as i can manuver a parking lot without shredding the fender off

its supposed to sit about 3-3.5 inches out from where it is rn, and about 2" closer to the fender top. it shouldnt be much closer to the suspension (thats based off my calculations anyways). can i get by with just montero arms? thanks in advance

Array
    Status
    Cant Say
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V6
    does no one know if montero arm lift is adequate to clear when turning?

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by Salteen View Post
    does no one know if montero arm lift is adequate to clear when turning?
    Heck I dunno & I'm lost about arm question..! Am guessing suspension control arms upper or lower or both will possibly raise the truck..? Good Luck Have Fun 'n Avoid throwing rocks into the other vehicles on the road

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    Probably not going to work. Why a 12.5" wide wheel? Going to suck all the way around. Get an 8" wheel and actually enjoy it.

And no your alignment will be way off with a montero upper arm. You wouldn't even gain an 1" either. I have a montero with 33's and it barely works because of the huge fender cutouts that Montero's have. Your max is quite a bit smaller wheel arch. You will smack the front bumper with 33's.

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    2nd gen montero arms should fit but you end up with some wild camber that needs addressing. Its fixible but i dont know the specifics of it

Array
    Status
    Cant Say
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V6
    Quote Originally Posted by Chargerx3 View Post
    Probably not going to work. Why a 12.5" wide wheel? Going to suck all the way around. Get an 8" wheel and actually enjoy it.

And no your alignment will be way off with a montero upper arm. You wouldn't even gain an 1" either. I have a montero with 33's and it barely works because of the huge fender cutouts that Montero's have. Your max is quite a bit smaller wheel arch. You will smack the front bumper with 33's.
    no no i am not running a 12.5 wide wheel sorry for the confusion. 10 inch wide wheel, 12.5 inch wide tire the wheel has 12mm positive offset and im using a 2" spacer.

sucks that ill hit the bumper. i might be able to handle a little trimming, maybe i could build a bumper?

thanks for the reply! started to feel like no one was even paying attention

Array
    Status
    Cant Say
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V6
    Quote Originally Posted by tortron View Post
    2nd gen montero arms should fit but you end up with some wild camber that needs addressing. Its fixible but i dont know the specifics of it
    exactly what i was afraid of. i wonder if there is enough adjustment where i can get the tires aligned or just close?

on another note can i get by with a shim to space my diff, or do i have to drop it because of the short cv axles?

btw thats a really nice readup. i cant find stuff like that anywhere on the forum

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    if you search for 4wd l200 and 4wd l300/delica along with pajero or montero arms you can get a few hits

Array
    Status
    Cant Say
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V6
    Quote Originally Posted by tortron View Post
    if you search for 4wd l200 and 4wd l300/delica along with pajero or montero arms you can get a few hits
    monteros are most common in the states theres a couple in my town. ill search the junkyards for those. i read 1-2 inches of lift so i figure if i re clock a new set of bars i could get it level. currently at 4 inches of rake which is a no bueno for me. but i think the previous owner put a block or a add a leaf in the rear (pulled a CAR TRAILER with the truck. wow!)

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    what im saying is the L200 is a d50 outside of the usa and a delica/l300 is a van that has its suspension based on the d50 chassis. The pajero is a montero outside of the usa.

Lots of people play with the 4wd delicas and l200s and so will have come up with a solution when it comes to using the montero arms. so searching through the delica forums will probably get you the solution

Array
    Status
    Cant Say
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V6
    oh i see now. i didnt understand too well at first. that would be very helpful, im looking into it right now!

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

Engine

Other
    Go find Oso on the Montero forums. He he’s one of the few who did the swap and regretted it. Poor results for a LOT of work.

Array
    Status
    Cant Say
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V6
    Quote Originally Posted by Chargerx3 View Post
    Go find Oso on the Montero forums. He he’s one of the few who did the swap and regretted it. Poor results for a LOT of work.
    yeah i seen that in my research. makes me think alot on making a custom lift kit, i just need sheet metal (lots of it)

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

Engine

Other
    Honestly not worth the effort. Will need to redesign the cv axles as well as other things. Get a body lift, cut your fenders and be on your way.

Array
    Status
    Cant Say
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V6
    i would, but i despise body lifts because of how it does on the lines and wiring, and i want to remove the rake.

im sure someone makes a lift kit i just need to find time to search the internet more

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by Salteen View Post
    i would, but i despise body lifts because of how it does on the lines and wiring, and i want to remove the rake.

im sure someone makes a lift kit i just need to find time to search the internet more
    But lift kits with springs shocks & all the other suspension parts STILL required MODS to wires & lines NO..? I don't see the lifted trucks being cool unless you think of it as an extension of your man or womanhood except you do get to look down on other drivers
    (I'm too old for it, just call me gramps)

Array
    Status
    Cant Say
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V6
    Quote Originally Posted by xboxrox View Post
    But lift kits with springs shocks & all the other suspension parts STILL required MODS to wires & lines NO..? I don't see the lifted trucks being cool unless you think of it as an extension of your man or womanhood except you do get to look down on other drivers
    (I'm too old for it, just call me gramps)
    hahaha its not an extension of my manlyhood, i just like lifted trucks. good for mud and ramps.

i dont see where i need to modify wires if no wires go to the suspension?

might put a 36 inch lift on it lol

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    From what I remember. The early Montero arms will fit. Not sure about turning with other rims.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Cant Say
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V6
    Quote Originally Posted by camoit View Post
    From what I remember. The early Montero arms will fit. Not sure about turning with other rims.
    ive read where people had bad experiences lifting that way so idk tbh. i think ill just buy a kit like lift spindles and a shock spacer. (btwprevious owner put a 2" lift block in and my torsion bars have lost a inch of height. i can get some lift if i rekey my bars but i dont wanna just max em out and ride)

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

Engine

Other
    Maxing out your torsion bars will make for a wild ride on roads and highways. Not recommend. It also maxes out the geometry of your cv axles. Your axles will fail sooner than anticipated if you keep them that way.

also as mentioned earlier the Montero arms are different geometry and you will not be able to get your front end back into alignment without further modifications and parts. You don’t even gain an inch with it either.

Array
    Status
    Cant Say
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V6
    thats what ive been reading, ive seen where someone put a montero front end under but i dont think i want to hop into swapping everything out. i think ill wind up turning my bars a little (sagging anyways) with some new keys, and then ill remove the rear block and stick the factory one back in.

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

Engine

Other
    Yea leave about 3/8” space before the snubbers and you should be ok.

Array
    Status
    Gray,Georgia
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    If money is no issue I'd just go for a solid axle swap and a divorced np205 second hard they are cheap and plentiful measure up some driveshafts and get them made up then lifting options are pretty much unlimited and for steering a crossover,drag link steering setup is pretty easy to Fab or buy a uni kit online.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast