Array
    Status
    Eastern Long Island NY
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B

New to the mighty max world

Hi I recently picked up a 88 4wd spx that needs a little work. Plan on making it my daily driver as soon as I work out the kinks. It has 92 thousand miles on it and it’s a 5 speed. No rot or rust that I could see 😀

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Welcome Orangecrush no rust COOL..!

Array
    Status
    Eastern Long Island NY
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Yea just some faded clear coat it had sat off the road for about five years.

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    Welcome to the club!

Array
    Status
    Eastern Long Island NY
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Thanks my mechanic called me today with the bad news carburetor and fuel pump shot, kinda figured that would be the case but he said the motor knocked bad for the couple of seconds it ran.��

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Carbs & fuel pumps are available ~ hope you trust your mechanic but both are DIY level work IMHO

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    +1 on that. The carb and pump are bolt on affairs and are within the scope of a noob mechanic. And it's a good opportunity to learn about your truck (and save some cash too) If you're not subjected to smog inspections you can think about ditching the Mikuni factory carb and installing a Weber. It's more work to set it up but worth it once you have it running properly.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    If you're not subjected to smog inspections you can think about ditching the Mikuni factory carb and installing a Weber. It's more work to set it up but worth it once you have it running properly.
    And just to clarify: that's referring to smog equipment inspection requiring all OEM parts to be present and functional. If you're just subject to a tailpipe sniff test, maybe inspection for eqpt. unrelated to the carb such as a cat and air-injection, a Weber 32/36 carb should be able to pass the sniff test just fine once it's properly tuned.
    1987 Dodge Ram 50 4G54 RWD longbed ("Elmo")
    1979 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Lola")
    1982 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Luigi")

Array
    Status
    Eastern Long Island NY
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    I do trust my mechanic he has done a lot for me over the years. I would do most of it but I don’t have a garage and my landlord is not big on me working on vehicles in my driveway�� so I have to have some work done for me.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Grrr it's not like you're doing a full strip down of a block. Worse case scenario is flattening a big cardboard box under the engine bay so you don't get any real drips of oil and fuel anywhere. But if you have a good wrencher you can turn to he'll be able to sort it out easily.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Orangecrush ~ I know what you mean, I have a nice shaded secure parking spot under our apt bldg but anything more than wiping windows checking fluids all wrenching work is OFF LIMITS..! Our apt mgr is a swell guy & he let me remove and reinstall the Mikuni carburetor BUT ONLY after 8pm when everyone is inside for the night... I have a local mechanic friend that gets away with wrenching in O'Reilly's parking lot and a DIY shop with lifts on the Kanaohe Marine Base an MWR deal called Five-O-Motors ~ I REALLY MISS having my own garage ~ losing the house & divorce was bad BUT losing my garage was THE WORST

P.S. I felt like Clint Eastwood trying to escape from Alcatraz while working on that Mikuni ~ only a few minutes or one hour tops then duck & hide from the parking garage security guard making his rounds ~ it sux'd

Array
    Status
    Cant Say
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V6
    welcome to the forum! sounds about like how i got my 87 lol no rust needs a little tlc. youll be happy with the fuel savings and they are reliable when taken care of like most other vehicles. welcome to our knowledge center!

Array
    Status
    Eastern Long Island NY
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by xboxrox View Post
    Orangecrush ~ I know what you mean, I have a nice shaded secure parking spot under our apt bldg but anything more than wiping windows checking fluids all wrenching work is OFF LIMITS..! Our apt mgr is a swell guy & he let me remove and reinstall the Mikuni carburetor BUT ONLY after 8pm when everyone is inside for the night... I have a local mechanic friend that gets away with wrenching in O'Reilly's parking lot and a DIY shop with lifts on the Kanaohe Marine Base an MWR deal called Five-O-Motors ~ I REALLY MISS having my own garage ~ losing the house & divorce was bad BUT losing my garage was THE WORST

P.S. I felt like Clint Eastwood trying to escape from Alcatraz while working on that Mikuni ~ only a few minutes or one hour tops then duck & hide from the parking garage security guard making his rounds ~ it sux'd
    I try to keep my landlord happy I have a good deal. I dropped all my parts off this afternoon and he is going to drop the tank for me so I can repair the small leak, bought the kit form Eastwood. It worked great on my dirt bike and my willys tank.