Status
    Summit Hill, PA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B

4spd manual trans narrow

Howdy,

Just curious as I acquired a 4spd trans without a shifter assembly. I have no visual pattern but searching for gears leads me to believe reverse is far left and back.

Anyone have any knowledge of this? I had a friend send me.a pic of his shifter assembly and the visual shows reverse far right and back.

Thanks.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    All Mitsubishi manual trans (KM132/KM145) have the reverse gate far right and down. No idea what the source of your 4 speed is
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Maybe the linkage inverts the left/right axis? So Reverse is left and down on the trans selector shaft itself, but right and down at the lever?
    1987 Dodge Ram 50 4G54 RWD longbed ("Elmo")
    1979 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Lola")
    1982 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Luigi")

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by SubGothius View Post
    Maybe the linkage inverts the left/right axis? So Reverse is left and down on the trans selector shaft itself, but right and down at the lever?

You're onto it - but wouldn't that mean invert the up and down axis as well? So it would shift linkage inside of the extension housing would move left and up to find reverse right and down? Traven - pick up a shift lever assembly and install it. If you know the 4 speed is out of a truck you won't have any hassles as long as you know if it's a wide or narrow bell housing.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Summit Hill, PA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    I purchased the trans with the seller having listed it as a 1983-1985 Mighty Max/ D50 4spd manual trans for RWD. I asked them to confirm that it possesses a narrow bolt pattern, which they did.

I measured the 2 bottom bolt holes as one would and the trans looks identical to my 5spd for my 88 g54b, save the width.

The trans is currently mated to what is supposed to be an 85 g63b residing in my 88. I'm currently making use of the 5spd shifter.

In what would be neutral the shifter sits naturally to the right and a push straight up from that position leads into the upper right of a 4 gear pattern. The same is true of moving the shifter rearward. The 2 gears

Array
    Status
    Summit Hill, PA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    The 2 gears making up the left half of the H are very close to other 2 and after removing the pan and seeing that I was actually feeling 4 separate gears I decided to remove the pan off my wide pattern 5 speed. Both when placed into what I know to be reverse and what I can only assume to be reverse make the internals move in the same strange way. Instead of moving a shift fork, a rod protrudes from a hole that looks like the spot another shaft could or would go. In the case of the 5 speed that piece also moves in response to 5th as well.

Perhaps some put it back together opposite lol.

When I had it running briefly the other day I really should have put it in gear and let it nudge a bit to see just exactly what it would do. Once I have it running ill find out and update.

Thanks for the responses, I really appreciate it.