Array
    Status
    Lagrange, Ga
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Other

New guy needs help..... Bad!!!

Have a 87 sport, it was purchased new in 87 by the usaf and used until 97 when Fort Gaines Police Dept got it and kept it till I got it. Truck runs like a champ but vibrates bad at high speed. It started at 45 so I had tires rotated and balanced and guy said they all balanced great. Changed trans mount with new not china made and both u joints. Had to use 4 wd u joints for some reason. Replaced idler arm bushing also. All steering and suspension seems solid but I know looks can be deceiving but seems to have no play. I did notice my torsion bar bushing I believe it's called are cracked up bad. Trans still clunks in gear too but not all the time and when driveshaft was taken out fluid was light brownish color no red tint. Any suggestions what to look at next. I'm wondering if my steel wheels are centering correctly or maybe unknown bushings wore out. Should I just shoot to rebuild the entire frontend. How can I tell if my output shaft in trans is warped. I'm just at a loss as to the cause of this vibration but will not give up or in until solution is found as I have to drive to work and need to do 70 not 45 on interstate. Lol

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    The driveline center bearing is bad. The rubber allows the conector shaft to drop and then the driveline is out of spec on the u joints. Rebuilding the drive line will fix it.
    as for the oil in the trans. Just change it and the filter.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Make sure you get the right carrier bearing for the drive line. There are a few around and some are close but not exact. I bought one that resulted in needing a pressed on cup/cover removed from a yoke to get it to fit without the bearing getting jammed up.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Lagrange, Ga
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Other
    I installed both new u joints and trans mount and idler arm bushing and rotate and balance.

Array
    Status
    Lagrange, Ga
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Other
    I have no center carrier bearing.

Array
    Status
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    A few questions for you: Does the steering wheel shake when you feel the vibration? Does it feel like it's coming from the front, rear or center of the truck? When present, does the vibration increase, decrease or remain unchanged when accelerating, decelerating or under only light load? Did you have a shop replace the u-joints?

Array
    Status
    Lagrange, Ga
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Other
    I can't feel it in the steering really and it seems present all the time but I can't go over 50 or it feels it gonna shake apart. Doing lca bushing and strut rod bushings this weekend.

Array
    Status
    Cant Say
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V6
    could it possibly be the wheel hub/bearing? stupid question i know. does the truck become hard to control? does more speed help the vibration a little?

Array
    Status
    Carson City, Nevada
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G52
    I call drive shaft needs to be re-balanced...