Array
    Status
    Carson City, Nevada
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G52

Transmission Interchange

Sorry if I've posted this request before...
    I have a 79 with a 2.0 4 speed. The transmission has a noisy input bearing. If I pull the tranny, I would rather add a gear.
    Anyone know what will fit this wreck?
    I have had several Mitsubishi cars and trucks, the transmissions look the same for the 2.0 and 2.6 engines. Maybe even the 2.4 also.
    Please let me know if you have any info.
    Thanks

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    My 86 2.6L 5 speed tranny has a noisy input shaft bearing ~ hope you get an answer soon

Array
    Status
    Owensboro, KY
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D56-T
    Since you have a 2.0 you will have a narrow block engine/transmission, which limits what you can get a donor transmission out of. If you can find a later model year truck with the 2.0L engine in it then you should be good to go. The 2.6 and 2.4 were both wide block motors, so they would not work. The same would apply to other rear wheel drive Mitsubishi vehicles. If you could find a Montero with the same engine or something along those lines you'd be good to go there as well

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    *just to clarify - the G63B belt drive engine is the successor to the 4G52 (both are 2.0's) Looks like a 4G64, but carb'd. A G63B truck is the one you're after (transmission designated as a KM132 - the KM145 is the wide block 5 speed variant)
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Carson City, Nevada
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G52
    Thanks for the info Geezer and Gecko

I have owned numerous trux and cars, most I didn't have to do any heavy repairs to.
    The last one I had - 1988 Mighty Max had the later 2.0 engine which I rebuilt
    I'm pretty sure I have an extra transmission, but it's at my toy shop in NY State.
    Of course, I'm in Sacramento, CA.

One thing I noticed - I also had an 89 2.0 automatic which needed an engine. The blocks between the auto and 5 speed had totally different bell housing bolt patterns. The auto block bell was much larger, although everything else was the same.
    I bought a standard shift replacement engine and discovered this. WTF

Anyway, I hope this transmission holds out. I have seen many trannys that have noisy input bearings the run forever, and of course, I've seen them go boom too.

Array
    Status
    Ca
    Vehicle

1993 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Mitsu likes to keep things mixed up-
    (heavy sarcasm)
    Credit to BradMph for the below..

Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by boozehero View Post
    Thanks for the info Geezer and Gecko

I have owned numerous trux and cars, most I didn't have to do any heavy repairs to.
    The last one I had - 1988 Mighty Max had the later 2.0 engine which I rebuilt
    I'm pretty sure I have an extra transmission, but it's at my toy shop in NY State.
    Of course, I'm in Sacramento, CA.

One thing I noticed - I also had an 89 2.0 automatic which needed an engine. The blocks between the auto and 5 speed had totally different bell housing bolt patterns. The auto block bell was much larger, although everything else was the same.
    I bought a standard shift replacement engine and discovered this. WTF

Anyway, I hope this transmission holds out. I have seen many trannys that have noisy input bearings the run forever, and of course, I've seen them go boom too.

Autos on trucks are all wide block. This is the only anomaly to 'the rule'. It would probably be cheaper to ship your trans from NY than to go through the effort of finding one in a JY in CA (if it's already sitting in storage and not in a truck...) Wait til you have to get a starter motor - it can turn into headache material pretty quickly if you aren't aware of the different starter/engine and trans combos.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Ca
    Vehicle

1993 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    ^^^
    I knew it !!!! you can read!!!
    "This was a test, only a test, had this been an actual emergency..."

Array
    Status
    Carson City, Nevada
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G52
    Thanks for the info gents
    I did find a later KM132 in a yard near Seattle, Washington. Even better, the engine was already out and all I had to do was remove the trans mount bolts and shifter. It dropped out. Way too easy.
    I also took a 13 month (!) guarantee on it - just in case.