Array
    Status
    Castle Rock, WA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B

GM L32 Engine Swap

For some time my 88 Ram 50 2WD has been sitting without an engine. A friend suggested I do a engine swap using the GM L32 engine. The L32 came in a lot of GM cars in the 2000's. My friend said the L32 is cheap, plentiful, and reliable.

My question is, has anyone done a L32 swap into their truck. If you have done the swap, what worked great and what didn't? Any thoughts and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    yeah mate i have one in mine
    http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...L200-ClubSport

Fits really well tbh. mine is the early type LN3, with 700r4 trans, but i will swap that out for the ecotec and a 4l60e soon.
    Are you going to put the supercharged version in? Have seen a few like that here and they go very well.

Its quite a basic swap. The steering box is quite close to the headers (mine is RHD but it will be the same on a LHS) but not too close to need to modify anything, just make sure you put the engine in the right spot when you install it.
    The trans mount in my truck is just a big slab of 12mm steel plate with a handbrake cable pivot and trans rubber mount attached, very basic, works fine.
    Engine mounts - in my case they are holden commodore mounts, not sure what the perches are, but they are just welded to the chassis. Easy
    Radiator is the stock radiator with the inlet and outlet moved to match the engine, theres an electric fan infront of the rad, but theres heaps of room to put it behind.

You will have to notch the oil pan, jsut hack it out flat (i think theres rear sump ones available in the usa so you may be able to use one of them and not worry about it) in any case i dont think my pick up was modified at all.

Trans tunnel will want some big hammer manipulation, again nothing major.

The wiring is very basic, mine is set up with the stock truck loom for the truck, and then the donors car engine loom for the engine. Mine was a bit of a hack job, but if you start out with one thats not been messed with, and go through it and remove the junk, then its very straight forward.

Mine uses the standard truck 2 piece driveshaft, i then use a holden v8 U joint to match it to the trans shaft. Im reasonably sure you will find its a common GM size and be able to use something from a corvette.

any other questions, fire them in man

Array
    Status
    Castle Rock, WA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    tortron!

This is great information. Thank you for taking the time. I am currently looking over your thread. I will absolutely msg you about any questions I will have.

Thank you again!

~David S.

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Trap is..... on his side of the pond RWD 3800s powered a few factory cars, so parts are readily available
    In the USA u only have the camaro/firebird with the later 3800. Good grab if found cheap, as a swap donor
    Used to be at least four forums that were a GREAT source of RWD conversions of all series 3800s
    Sadly all gone in recent years.
    https://www.3800pro.com/forums/rwd-3...gine-swaps.50/
    Detailed how to use 60 degree chevy V6 manual or autos from 1st gen S10 and same era V6 camaros, bolted straight onto 3800
    Lure was a cheap plentiful compact motor with strong performance
    3200 pound street cars go 13s to low 12s with blower 3800s L67

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    not only snappy street performance, even supercharged guys report exceptional mileage
    Also look how 3800 swapped Fieros perform
    At the extreme end, this nut took it up a notch. 10sec 1/4 in a heavy AWD street ute
    https://www.s10forum.com/threads/pro...blazer.489819/

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    Yeah very common over here (usually 10 or so donor cars in every wreckers in the country, and you can usually get offered one for free haha)
    if theres some hard to get part, let me know. I have a couple spare engines etc. price to send a complete engine, box and loom on a pallet is not that much as it doesnt take up much container space

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    import RWD 3800/parts worth serious consideration. Shortcut you pass all the messy mix n match pitfalls
    Time is money
    This guy got a few bits for his 3800 corolla swap
    https://www.club4ag.com//forums/view...hp?f=7&t=21967

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    These guys may be worth a talking to if you wanna buy conversion parts
    https://v6conversions.net.au/

specifically
    https://v6conversions.net.au/triton-2wd/

Array
    Status
    Castle Rock, WA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Currently I am trying to clear out the garage to get my truck in to start work. My plan is to start rebuilding the suspension, clean out the gas tank, and remove some of the interior for any transmission tunnel mods.

I have also been reaching out to owners of Camaros and Firebirds who have listed their cars with the L32. Also I have been searching for a good L32 from an S10. Please wish me luck!

Also, I have not ruled out looking internationally for a engine and/transmission.

Thank you for all the guidance you guys have given me. I might need a lot more in the future.

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    im going to pull the "buick" 3800 and 700r4 out of my truck and put in a later ecotec and 4l60e (mainly for slightly better fuel economy with the sequential fire rather than batch and so on) will also be pulling out the cut down engine loom and ecu and replacing it with the later stuff.

would be more or less good to go, with steel sump cut to fit the truck front cross member (you could probably find a rear sump over there easier than i can get one here, i understand they fit better), factory cast manifolds which i think would fit a LHD fine (fits my rhd fine, but a little closer than i would like to the steering box) but i will keep my Y pipe for the new engine (unless i grab some holden commodore headers cheap between now and then)

you would need to sort some engine mounts (mine are holden commodore mounts with commodore towers welded to the trucks crossmember) and a trans crossmember (mins just a piece of 10mm flat steel plasma cut to fit), stock truck driveshaft with i believe a commodore front joint on it (i used holden v8 U joint on the front when i replaced it, it may be a stock one from the truck im not 100%), and a fuel pump, i have just an external electric pump and stock fuel tank which has run that engine in this truck for 20 years, ideally you would put a drop in pump or a surge tank, but hasnt caused any issues to mine i guess.

have a spare parts engine that has low miles but fell off a forklift so has 1 damaged head and no valve covers, but should have good crank and pistons if wanted (i only want the steel sump off it for the new engine), plus some spare ecus and memcals if you wanted to get into tuning via flashing eeproms

I dunno what costs would be from NZ to you, but wrapping it on a pallet would be no issue

Array
    Status
    Castle Rock, WA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Wow! I do appreciate that Tortron. I looked up the current shipping rates and they are hideous. At the prices I was quoted, I could buy a 2000 Camaro RS hear and have something left over.

At the moment, I might have found a reasonable 3800 out of a fwd car. If I am going for the 3800, then I guess I might have to make some compromises.

I think for now I might put the 2.0 back together and at least have the truck running for now.