Thread: Sight unseen

Array
    Status
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    You've made good headway. Without removing the radiator cap, periodically check the coolant level in the overflow tank when the engine is cold. If the level doesn't decrease, the coolant system is tight. Same with the oil level. A puff of smoke at start up is an indicator of worn or (34 yr) old valve stem seals. But if you don't need to add oil more than 2-3 times between changes, the seals can wait.
    Last edited by FMS88; 12-21-2020 at 09:18 PM.

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by FMS88 View Post
    You've made good headway. Without removing the radiator cap, periodically check the coolant level in the overflow tank when the engine is cold. If the level doesn't decrease, the coolant system is tight. Same with the oil level. A puff of smoke at start up is an indicator of worn or (34 yr) old valve stem seals. But if you don't need to add oil more than 2-3 times between changes, the seals can wait.
    I am really happy your truck is being well cared for & Loved ~ the Lucky Truck has found a Good Home

Speaking of oil seals, the front crankshaft oil seal is leaking worse 'n worse on my 86 2.6L ~ have ordered seal remove/install tools ~ at another thread (sticky of basics to do/Any ideas?) camoit points out that the PCV valve is important coz if it's sticking or dirty it can cause pressure in the crankcase & cause the crankshaft front oil seal to leak ~ I bet it happened on my engine ~ coz, when I checked & changed the PCV valve the old PCV was filthy nasty 'n sticking ~ the engine idled much smoother with the new PCV valve...

Some MR50 members are just plain pros, others are just Mitsu experienced, others are just kind 'n share info, parts, ideas; no doubt every MR50 member contributes, even if they just ask questions, need help or make trouble ~

Listen Carefully when these Pros comment ~

FSM88
    camoit
    geezer
    claych
    SubGothius
    pennyman
    85Ram50
    Brad
    tortron
    ------------
    so many more but these names come to mind quickly
    Last edited by xboxrox; 12-23-2020 at 12:39 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123