Array
    Status
    Cant Say
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V6

Ignition switch swap. Help!!!

Hello! I am finishing up my power Ram. Motor is in, everything (well, almost) is hooked up. I seem to have misplaced my key amd it is nowhere to be found, I have no clue where it is either given all the vehicle moving we did and the other projects in my yard.

I was curious as to if I could stick the ignition switch out of a 1982 Power Ram 50 into my 1987 Power Ram 50 to get it to start. Would this work? What all changes are needed to make the conversion?

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    you can remove the lock part from the ign barrel. Take the plastic shroud off the steering column. Look at where the key cylinder attaches to the rest of the unit, there will be a little round button, you can press that in and the lock barrel can be removed (but i believe it has to be in the acc position)

Just take a door lock out and take it to a locksmith, they will cut a new one from that

1st gen part number for ign is MB037830 for full steering lock assembly and MB031704 for the ignition switch

for non steering lock MB140550 for ignition switch assembly

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    87 ign barrel part number is MB415751

nos one here
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-US334L-...oAAOSwy7pfST1a

could also try a sigma, or galant for parts
    MB415752MB415752MB415752

Array
    Status
    Cant Say
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V6
    I found my key number!!! The original owner wrote the key number down in the owner's manual (smart) so I have a brand new key made. It was only $15!!!

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    Ideal outcome!

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by Salteen View Post
    I found my key number!!! The original owner wrote the key number down in the owner's manual (smart) so I have a brand new key made. It was only $15!!!
    Good Going Salteen !!!

Last week I lost one of my two original Mitsubishi keys in the surf while body boarding at Bellows AFS ~ kiss it goodbye to the ocean ~ I did not contact a locksmith yet but am surprised how you were able to get a key made with just the key # ~ I still have one original Mitsubishi key with the OEM # stamped into it ~ I contacted Dodge & Mitsubishi parts dept folks today, they both said no keys or key blanks are available for vehicles that far back ~ eBay had one seller in Indonesia that had several Gen1 Mitsubishi key blanks and I ordered two each: https://www.ebay.com/itm/MITSUBISHI-...gAAOSwz89euA6B

The local car dealers & Hardware Hawaii said if I can get a blank key then they can grind a copy of my original key onto the blanks ~ whew..! So I am guessing a locksmith can make a key with just a key # ~ rather impressive..! tortron has a cleaver method, provide a door lock to the locksmith ~ I might just ask a local locksmith about these two other methods of key making..?

Anyway here on the islands, dealerships & local hardware stores can't do anything with just key #s or door locks..! Our north shore has 35 to 45 foot waves today, TV showed five pro surfers all on the same wave next to each other ~ for the rest of us dirtbags, we are not even allowed in the water at northshore for any reason, even just swimming..!

Keeping Safe & Keeping out of the Water
    GEORGE

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    You can send a photo of your key to a guy in china and he will copy it just by looking at it for a couple bucks. Crazy eh

In high school we had a competition to create a product to sell. I made a neoprene arm band for holding keys in when you go surfing. Should have made a bunch of them eh

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    New Key Source ~ MITSUBISHIPARTSCENTRAL ~ key blanks are still available $6.20 each ~ Hawaii local Dodge & Mitsubishi dealership parts departments both told me NO LONGER AVAILABLE

Hawaii State Motto: "it's not my job"

Attached Images
    Last edited by xboxrox; 12-16-2020 at 03:39 PM.