Thread: Weber converstion instructions/walkthrough?

Array
    Status
    York, SC
    Vehicle

1987 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B

Weber converstion instructions/walkthrough?

Hey guys, the 88 MM i just bought has a weber, but it wasn't a clean install. Trying to figure everything out. Looks like they were running the stock mech fuel pump, and that is pulled off and was handed to me in a box with a new replacement. I already know that needs to be replaced with an electric pump, but I just can't recall what is missing, and what I can delete and/or cap. I remember there being a nice weber walkthrough on the old site, and was hoping there was something similar still available that I could refer to.

Thanks in advance

-Rob

Array
    Status
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    First verify it's a genuine Weber, not one of the licensed clones made in China that are not made to the same exacting tolerances and thus can never get tuned completely right. The real thing will have the Weber name, logo, and "Made in Spain" all cast right into the body, rather than just a decal or ink-stamped branding, and a rough/dull finish rather than bright/shiny. The electric choke cover will likely be translucent off-white plastic, rather than black, but these can be swapped so not quite a dead giveaway.

For an electric pump, I recommend the Carter P90091. It's got an ideal native PSI for Webers and delivers a smooth, even flow, so no need for a pressure regulator.

You can use one of these or these fuel pump block off plates to cover the mechanical fuel pump port in the head, but you may need to grind/file down two sides of it a wee bit to get it to seat fully (hence why I'm not recommending the similar steel-plate version of these).
    Last edited by SubGothius; 10-05-2020 at 01:06 PM.
    1987 Dodge Ram 50 4G54 RWD longbed ("Elmo")
    1979 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Lola")
    1982 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Luigi")

Array
    Status
    York, SC
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Thanks for the reply. I'm not in front of the vehicle at this moment, but I did see the redline engraving on the base or the plate. off-white choke cover as well. Also saw a recommendation for a Carbole 42S for the fuel pump. Think I just ran a cheap mr gasket pump on mine years back. Thanks for the link on the block off plate, I'll look into that one. This one still has all the old vacuum lines piped into the little vacuum tree under the carb, and I definitely remember capping some of those off. The vehicle is still on the trailer, so I'm going to pull it off and do more investigating throughout the week.

Any insight into a weber conversion walkthrough? The old guide from mightyd50 was nice.

Array
    Status
    Winston Salem NC
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    I'm hoping this thread is picked back up. I'm currently trying to gain enough information to install a Weber on my 87 2.6 5 speed.

Array
    Status
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Here's a couple BIG prior threads with a lot of information about the Weber swap:

http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...10-Weber-32-36

http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...ber-Carburetor
    1987 Dodge Ram 50 4G54 RWD longbed ("Elmo")
    1979 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Lola")
    1982 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Luigi")