Thread: Water in the cab- how is it getting in?

Array
    Status
    Newburgh, NY
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

Water in the cab- how is it getting in?

I found some water inside the cab, behind the seat. We had a really heavy rain here a couple days ago, so that probably when it happened, but I can't figure out where it came in.
    The water is only in the rear section of the cab, and most of it is on the passenger side. There is no evidence of water coming in through the back window or door, but that doesn't mean it didn't come that way.
    Are there any vents or other openings where the water might be coming in? Could some kind of drain be clogged somewhere and cause water spilling into the cab? I had a VW once that got completely flooded inside and it turned out to be a clogged roof drain.
    This is a 2nd gen truck, in case that's relevant.

Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    I had that problem. It was from the front. In my case the mouse nest in the cowl behind the access panel under the dash rusted the metal and everything that went into that side had a chance to come into the cab. the cowl is supposed to drain down the inside of the fenders and come out over the rocker. It gets gunked up.
    You can get into the wiper motor hole and there is another hole in the firewall over on the passenger side. I'd also recommend you remove the bolts holding the fender across the bottom and up the wheel well and pull it away from the truck to let the crap fall out and maybe hose it down from the cowl.
    Edit- I changed the rear window seal by myself before I figured this out. PO had told me he thought it was the windshield. I eventually figured it out reading stuff on here.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Different truck, different location (Gen 1 front cowl, Gen 2 rear pillar...?) It might have been just bad luck that the heavy rain found it's way in there. I am only guessing that it was from the pillar garnish or is there a cab vent in that back corner?
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    i believe thre are through flow vents in 2nd gens. could have just been blowing the wrong way. or have a blocked drain hole

Array
    Status
    Newburgh, NY
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by 85Ram50 View Post
    I had that problem. It was from the front. In my case the mouse nest in the cowl behind the access panel under the dash rusted the metal and everything that went into that side had a chance to come into the cab. the cowl is supposed to drain down the inside of the fenders and come out over the rocker. It gets gunked up.
    You can get into the wiper motor hole and there is another hole in the firewall over on the passenger side. I'd also recommend you remove the bolts holding the fender across the bottom and up the wheel well and pull it away from the truck to let the crap fall out and maybe hose it down from the cowl.
    Edit- I changed the rear window seal by myself before I figured this out. PO had told me he thought it was the windshield. I eventually figured it out reading stuff on here.
    This is on the back of the cab, but I know what you mean about the all the gunk collecting by the drain at the bottom of the fender. I just took the fenders off and got rid of some rust ther caused by all crap that gets stuck there

Array
    Status
    Newburgh, NY
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Yes there's a vent on the rear pillar, and I guess the wind would've blown the water in. I'll take off next chance I get and see if any drains are clogged.
    Thanks

Array
    Status
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Apparently that bit of black plastic trim on the 2nd gen B-pillars that looks like a vent cover actually isn't; despite the open slats on it, there's no sheetmetal opening behind there, so it's just for looks. The actual cabin flow-thru vent is on the back of the cab.
    1987 Dodge Ram 50 4G54 RWD longbed ("Elmo")
    1979 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Lola")
    1982 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Luigi")

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    yup thats correct

I would pull that rear panel out and spray the rear of the cab with water till i found it coming in. maybe the window seals are starting to go or rusting underneath

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    I would say the rear window is the best place to start. Then check the air vents behind the rear panel but they don't "normally" don't have a problem because of the location to the bed.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Just a note. I posted because the water was pooling in the back of the passenger side. that is why I changed the rear window seal. Then I found water back there after the next heavy rain. It came from the front drivers side. I never really knew exactly where it came from until last summer when I took apart the dash, but cleaning out the fenders stopped new leaks.
    Don't assume the leak has to be in the back. Check all known leak locations.

Array
    Status
    Newburgh, NY
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    The front drains behind the fenders are clear, I just cleaned them out.
    I'll remove the back interior panel and check for leaks from the air vents behind it.
    The rear window seal look ok, but I will do some tests with a hose.
    Are there any drains on the back of the cab that can get clogged?

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B