Array
    Status
    Newburgh, NY
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

Wheel bolt broke off- now what?

One of the bolts on my front driver's side wheel broke off as I was trying to remove the nut. It wouldn't budge and I put some weight over on the lug wrench, eventually the lug came off but it took the full thread length of the bolt.
    It broke off clean and the stub is almost flush with the wheel, you can see a little bit of thread but not enough for a lug to grab.

How much of a pain is it going to be to replace that bolt? And can I drive it with the remaining 5 lugs, or will that damage the wheel? I'm not planning on driving it a lot, but I might have to get it to a shop to get this fixed.

Thanks

Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Owensboro, KY
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D56-T
    You'll be fine driving around with just the remaining five lugs, I had to do that for a while when I got mine because a previous owner had broken multiple lug studs. Replacing that is a bot of a pain, as you have to partially disassemble the wheel hub to get to it

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    It should be safe enough to drive but they put 6 lugs on there for a reason.
    I have not done it in a while but removing the rotor is pretty simple if I am remembering correctly. After you remove the caliper You only have to remove the large nut on the hub under that cap in the center. You can hammer that stud out and hammer a new one in.

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    safe to drive to the shop but i wouldnt make a habit of driving with broken wheel studs.

a couple more steps on a 4wd but not a major

very easy to replace.
    remove wheel
    remove brake caliper (tie it up out of the way so its not hanging on the hose) (2 bolts only from memory)
    Turn manual hub to free wheel position and remove the hub cover (6 bolts)
    remove the snap ring from the end of the drive axle, then remove the bolts of the hub (another 6)
    the hub assembly should pull straight off

remove the bolts holding the disc and hub to remove the disk
    press out the old stud
    press in a new one

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    You will be fine. Now you are down the 5 like most cars. I would replace it though once you have time. Essentially you need to pound the stud back into the hub to pull it out. Find a new one, or steal one from another hub.