Status
    portland, or
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B

replacing the starter on an 86 g54b

hello all,

total noob here but if anyone has any pro tips i'm all ears. I think i can manage replacing my starter, my question is should i pull my air filter and carb to get to it, or pull my front left tire, or come up from the bottom? I have an 86 4x4 mighty max with the 2.6L g54b. I was having starting issues and could tap on the starter to get it going a few times but that trick served its purpose and its time to replace it.

thank you

Array
    Status
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I did mine about a year ago just combining access from above and below without removing anything but the old starter, same engine tho' mine's an '87 RWD. Torque spec is 20-24 ft-lb for the bolts that hold the starter to the bellhousing.
    1987 Dodge Ram 50 4G54 RWD longbed ("Elmo")
    1979 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Lola")
    1982 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Luigi")

Array
    Status
    portland, or
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B
    thank you! I've read the thread here about the R and S terminals but I'm going to pull mine tomorrow and see about ordering one or having mine rebuilt locally.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Easiest way is take a wheel off and go through the wheel arch (axle stands + jack and rear wheel chocks are not optional - safety first!) You can freshen up a starter motor DIY as it's not a difficult procedure (DIY rebuild will spare you from having issues with finding the correct one as there is some confusion from suppliers as which starter motor works with Mitsubishi engines) There are plenty of videos and walk throughs online to assist you. You may need new brushes if the original ones are worn right down. Generally speaking as long as none of the windings are burnt out, it will only need a thorough cleaning, polish up the commutator ring and fresh grease for the throw out. You will need to bench test it once you are happy with how you've prepared it as in my experience they don't kick first try after reassembly (keep testing it until you get a succession of kicks from it) And clean your ground leads - they can cause a number of issues including difficult start situations...
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function