Array
    Status
    Vantaa, Finland
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

4D56

Rear differential

So I finally started working on my L200 (known as Ram 50 in US). I decided to do rear end maintenance as I'm about to pull my engine for restoration since I will be taking more power out of it. A issue occoured while driving it to the lift, basically left rear wheel had been locked up/was heavily braking. So I thought maybe my brake force regulator is stuck and applies force to the brakes. Apparently this wasn't the reason, I first opened the differential from the housing and pryed it open just a tiny bit to make sure it's coming apart. After doing so, the left wheel got released so apparently there was some issues with the rear differential. Anyhow, since now I have the rear end apart I want to maintenance the differential, but I don't have any information with what differential I'm working with. Since it's not some regular open diff, looks similar to LSD since appears to have some clutch discs inside? but I'm asking you guys for better information if anyone knows or able to give me specific model name.

https://i.imgur.com/hkLEKTm.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/LZyefT1.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/hIrsB3U.jpg

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    Good chance that is an LSD. Most open diffs are indeed "open" to see all the spider gears. Any way to peek in one of those holes?

Was this out of a 4x4 or rwd? What year?

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Guys on 4x4 forums have recommended adding some diesel fuel to the diffs while installed, and running them to break up the varnish and junk built up on the clutches etc. Once the LSD feels like it's working properly, they've drained and refilled with fresh oil. The LSD is the same as the LM083 power brute LSD.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Vantaa, Finland
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

4D56
    It's out of 2WD RWD 88 year one with 2.5 diesel engine (applied bigger turbo etc). It does look like having clutches inside, but for maintenance I believe I have to get off the bigger ring gear in hopes to find some bolts or something for opening it up if it's such differential.

Geezer101: I'm thinking maybe I should do the same if I can't get any information out of the differential cause I don't want to just pull it apart and then later on be stuck with disassembled diff with no information for new sparts. Issue was it was working and is working overall perfectly just that last time the issue occoured as one wheel locking up/struggling to move cause of diff. And it doesn't look same to the LM083 LSD either, I tried to read out some info from the differential, but well unsuccessfully.

Array
    Status
    Owensboro, KY
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D56-T
    It certainly won't hurt anything to try and clean it up, though it seems odd that the differential would've locked up one wheel. I guess as long as it let go of it then its OK. The pictures do look like it is an LSD, but some of the casting numbers are hard to read. I think you can get rebuild kits for the power brute differentials, if not then you can try and source a new carrier and just put your ring gear on it. Y'all got a little bit better Mitsubishi selection over in Europe than we did in the U.S., so I'd imagine parts aren't too hard to come by.
    On another note what kind of turbo did you put on it?

Array
    Status
    Vantaa, Finland
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

4D56
    Yeah, I'm trying to keep this truck as "budget sleeper build" so I'm not much into putting cash to the rear end since I will be rebuilding tranny and engine to withstand bigger turbo in the future. Currently it had Saab 3.0Cdti turbo on it. Peaked at 1.4bars and 1bar constantly (at 1.4bars it blew past piston rings down to the oil pan and popped the oil stick out, hence why I'm rebuilding engine). I have another turbo which is off Volvo Penta ship or some diesel engine that's growing boost from low RPM's.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Changing the turbo on the diesel engine is a wise move. The stock turbo is too small for these engines and really holds them back from their potential. And generally, the turbos are tired and PO's don't want to spend the money rebuilding or trying to source a replacement factory unit. OOC - did Europe get the V6 RWD version of the L200?
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Vantaa, Finland
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

4D56
    My truck in papers has registered as N/A and I kinda keep it that way, I just take the turbo off when going to inspection, since it's just few bolts to change that set-up. That Saab's turbo fed it pretty well, able to do burnout with that LSD differ in 2nd gear with no problems.
    Off topic - I haven't noticed anyone selling those with V6's and to find RWD's is pretty difficult here.