Array
    Status
    Broomfield Colorado
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

I.D.K.?

Transmission info

So I saw a 1988 mighty max for sale on market place. The truck has 160xxx miles is a 5 speed manual 4x4 and overall looks to be in pretty good shape for it’s age. The only trouble is the owner says that the truck is stuck in second gear. He says it will drive in second. I asked him how it happened and he just said from regular driving it just got stuck in gear and he wasn’t able to take it out of it. So my question is what are some possible rough diagnostics from you handy guys out there? The price seems right for the condition and me my self only know how to do very basic work on trucks. For how much do you guys estimate I han got it fixed? Thank you very much!

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hi and welcome to mightyram. Could be something as simple as a bad shift lever assembly. The nylon cup and pivot ball in them wear out and it'll act glitchy when it fails, or the bolts holding it down have wound out or have stripped. Next thing is might have had the lever pull out and the PO failed to get the selector fork back into the right place, subsequently locking the transmission out. This is an easy fix but requires taking the shift lever out and feeling your way through the selector fork until it wants to engage on a gear cluster. Last, but not to be dismissed, is a bent selector fork. This is a gearbox out job and requires the transmission to be disassembled.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Broomfield Colorado
    Vehicle

Engine

I.D.K.?
    Alright thank you very much for the helpful info! You just convinced me to land this truck and get to work on it! Hopefully it is one of the first 2 problems you mentioned because I really have never worked on transmissions.

Array
    Status
    Broomfield Colorado
    Vehicle

Engine

I.D.K.?

That is what the shifter I pulled out of there looks like. Do you see any issues with it??
    Attached Images
    Last edited by SubGothius; 09-13-2020 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Formatting

Array
    Status
    Owensboro, KY
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D56-T
    It is missing the little nylon cup that goes on the end of it. Other than that it looks to be fine. I feel like someone on here found a source for replacement cups at some point in time, but I don't remember for sure.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Online cheap - they were also used in Hyundais as well so there are a couple of avenues to track them down. What condish is the central pivot ball like - not cracked or worn down etc?
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Broomfield Colorado
    Vehicle

Engine

I.D.K.?
    Thank you very much!

Array
    Status
    Broomfield Colorado
    Vehicle

Engine

I.D.K.?
    The pivotal ball actually looks like it is in decent shape! Man I really hope this is why my transmission doesn’t want to come out of second. It feels like it is in neutral because the shifter is all loose.

Array
    Status
    Broomfield Colorado
    Vehicle

Engine

I.D.K.?
    Is that the part I’m going to need?
    Attached Images