Array
    Status
    Pomeroy, WA
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

Carburetor hunt is on!

I think my '89 G54B has used up its "Weber" wannabe. So help me people, what's my best bet to replace it?
    It came from JT outfitters, can't recall which model.....DG, DC4 etc,etc. I know I couldn't find carb kits long ago.
    I welcome any advice.
    Thank you, Lunny

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Best bet is a 38DGES. It's a more modern design Weber carb and has the potential to make more HP. Make sure it's a legit Weber. There are vendors on eBay that sell them but stay away from Weber Carbs Direct. They can be shady and sell Chinese made copies. A list of companies that resell Webers -

http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...!!!!!!!!/page1

If you are on eBay and are looking at Webers make sure the carb doesn't look like it's made from a blue passivated looking alloy, and it has 'Weber' physically cast onto the carb body and/or the accelerator pump housing. Fakes either have no name on them, or it's been dye printed on or a self adhesive label with Weber printed on it. They are GARBAGE
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Pomeroy, WA
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

Garbage ain't good.

Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    Best bet is a 38DGES. It's a more modern design Weber carb and has the potential to make more HP. Make sure it's a legit Weber. There are vendors on eBay that sell them but stay away from Weber Carbs Direct. They can be shady and sell Chinese made copies. A list of companies that resell Webers -

http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...!!!!!!!!/page1

If you are on eBay and are looking at Webers make sure the carb doesn't look like it's made from a blue passivated looking alloy, and it has 'Weber' physically cast onto the carb body and/or the accelerator pump housing. Fakes either have no name on them, or it's been dye printed on or a self adhesive label with Weber printed on it. They are GARBAGE
    Thanks for reply. My carb was from JT outfitters, kit #61434. At one time I knew what model it was. Any idea's? I assume Redline is a reputable "real Weber" distributor, can anyone support this?
    Thanks for the knowledge. Lunny

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Yes - Redline are THE authorised distributor for genuine Weber carbs and kits. The original 'Weber' you had would have probably been a 32/36DGEV. This was the go-to carb for swaps on Mitsubishi, Ford/Mazda trucks. A good carb once set up and the engine is tuned to run it, but it has limitations which the 38DGES can surpass.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    The 38 DGES and 32/36 DGV/DGAV/DGEV are variants of the same "modern" design; the 32/36 has a progressive linkage (smaller fuel-efficient throttle opens before the larger one for power), whereas the 38 has a synchronous linkage (both throttles open simultaneously) with larger same-size barrels, allowing the 38 to breathe better with a built engine that can make good use of it. The 32/36 DFV/DFAV/DFEV is its slightly older forebear design in mirror-image.
    1987 Dodge Ram 50 4G54 RWD longbed ("Elmo")
    1979 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Lola")
    1982 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Luigi")