Thread: New member

Array
    Status
    Salem oregon
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

Hey, I am an old guy pushing 70 and just bought an 1987 Ram 50 4x4 for around town to pick up whatever. I refused to pay the prices of a used Taco so ran a wanted to buy add on Craig’s list. Bingo I found a 1987 two keys and a heater 4x4 literally from a little old (well older than me) lady with 99k miles. The interior is like brand new and it runs great.
    It is my project and I am joining this forum to educate myself by others successes and failures.
    My first project is to Raptor line bed.
    Thanks
    Attached Images
    Last edited by camoit; 08-30-2020 at 10:47 AM.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    I always wanted a 4X4 like that. How about a picture of the engine.
    Be sure to change the fuel filter first thing or you will have problems in 30 days. We have seen that so many times. People never changed them and age is a problem.
    The filter is a little hard to get to. It's under the bed directly in front of the tank. It's held in place by a clip. Just pull it out of the mount then remove the mount. Then you can move it around through the area of the bed mount and frame so it's on the out side of the frame. From there you can get the clamps off and change it out. It's a pain but not to bad. Some times you need to pull the filler tube the filler neck to get a little more room.
    Last edited by camoit; 08-30-2020 at 12:01 PM.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Oldguy, glad you joined our club here; we got a few old guys, I'm 72... I wonder who might be the oldest member & their age..? Nice truck, you did good & cleaver way to shop... Here in Kailua on Oahu our Windward Ford dealer likes to show off their $90k 'n UPUPUP F150s F250s..!

Array
    Status
    Cant Say
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V6
    I spy with my little eyes... A MINT INSIDE!!! Wow this thing was very well kept, the first order of business is junking that old mikuni. I'm a firm believer in Weber carbs. Keep the engine cool, keep the engine cool, oh, did I forget? Keep it cool. Any kind of overheating send the heads and gaskets to the scrap bin. Very sensitive engines, otherwise super reliable. The 5 speed is a blast to drive, 4WD in mud is super. It'll be plenty enough of a truck to put around in.

No real quirks to these engines. Keep it stock she will run forever.

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    Welcome to the club. Might I add your 4x4 is in really good shape. Better than most. Stick around, there is a lot of information here as well as some great upgrades.

Array
    Status
    Salem oregon
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Engine bay nowhere as nice as interior. I have started cleaning lots of gunk. I plan on following new truck guide of thinking to do. Great list on of the reasons I joined this forum.
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Salem oregon
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    That carb looks like something out of a cheap science fiction movie sooo! many vacuum lines, looks like trouble I am surprised it runs as well as it does.
    Weber, headers and tune up on the horizon. Preparing bed for Raptor lining lots of sanding.
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Good looking work on the bed... My truck an 86 Gen1 (so I don't know much about Gen2 trucks ok) I don't see the 4 tie down pipes on front & back of the wheel well tubs... They come in handy for hauling stuff... I only see one vacuum line out of place on the air horn...

Array
    Status
    Newburgh, NY
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Nice looking '87. It's a very close cousin to mine, almost same configuration but mine is an auto.

Regarding the fuel filter, the oem is in the location described by camoit, but it's virtually impossible to remove/replace on this specific body configuration (2nd gen, short bed, reg cab) without removing the bed or dropping the gas tank.
    There's a thread about this here somewhere, but to "reach it" you have to remove the front panel of the drivers side rear wheel well, and then you have to magically get your arm into a very tight space, past all the fuel system hoses and the bed support. With some effort I was able to touch the filter and even get it loose from the mounting clip, but it was impossible to loosen the clamps and hoses with one hand (you can't get two in there).

If you happen to remove the bed or drop the tank for any reason, I highly recommend you delete the filter in this location, and add one in the engine compartment. I just removed the bed to clean out the frame, and I can honestly say that removing the bed was easier than trying to reach that filter through the side of the truck.

I you can swing it, you should consider getting the service manual, it's a very valuable resource. Here's one for sale, I think it's worth every penny, but if you don't get it and need any specific info, just ask and I'll send you pictures from mine.

Good luck.

Array
    Status
    Cant Say
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V6
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPaco View Post
    Nice looking '87. It's a very close cousin to mine, almost same configuration but mine is an auto.

Regarding the fuel filter, the oem is in the location described by camoit, but it's virtually impossible to remove/replace on this specific body configuration (2nd gen, short bed, reg cab) without removing the bed or dropping the gas tank.
    There's a thread about this here somewhere, but to "reach it" you have to remove the front panel of the drivers side rear wheel well, and then you have to magically get your arm into a very tight space, past all the fuel system hoses and the bed support. With some effort I was able to touch the filter and even get it loose from the mounting clip, but it was impossible to loosen the clamps and hoses with one hand (you can't get two in there).

If you happen to remove the bed or drop the tank for any reason, I highly recommend you delete the filter in this location, and add one in the engine compartment. I just removed the bed to clean out the frame, and I can honestly say that removing the bed was easier than trying to reach that filter through the side of the truck.

I you can swing it, you should consider getting the service manual, it's a very valuable resource. Here's one for sale, I think it's worth every penny, but if you don't get it and need any specific info, just ask and I'll send you pictures from mine.

Good luck.
    My 1987 is just like yours. 4X4, short bed, reg cab. I am in the process of a V6 swap, I would definitely drop the tank, make sure it's clean and rust free, and put an inline filter where it should be, on the frame rail or under the hood.

Btw, you can't find a gas tank for that specific truck. Make sure to take care of yours. Mine was punctured and leaked alot, and it was beyond repair it was rusted so bad i removed almost a half gallon of rust. You'll have to build a tank if for whatever reason yours goes out, there are no fuel tanks online specifically for our short bed 4x4 regular cab trucks.

Array
    Status
    Salem oregon
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Crawled under truck found fuel filter location, it is someone’s idea of a sick joke. Fuel gauge sender malfunctioning will drop tank and relocate filter, replace sending unit and inspect tank.
    thanks for input.

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldguy View Post
    Crawled under truck found fuel filter location, it is someone’s idea of a sick joke. Fuel gauge sender malfunctioning will drop tank and relocate filter, replace sending unit and inspect tank.
    thanks for input.

Yup! My thoughts exactly. I left it nearby because of the nods I made to add the electric fuel pump make taking the skirt off easier. You should be aware of Ram Light Trucks or something like that in Portland. They have a few of these and they know what you are talking about when you call.