Thread: 88 Mighty Max sport 2.6 4x4 cant find a complete cylinderhead replacement

Array
    Status
    Yak wa
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B-T

88 Mighty Max sport 2.6 4x4 cant find a complete cylinderhead replacement

Hello I'm new to the forum
    I bought an 88 Mighty Max about 9 years ago that didn't run.
    So I figured I would rebuild the engine but it turned out to be a nightmare
    My cylinder head has a crack in between the valve seats not fixable. So I figured I would buy a complete head turns out I cant find one. Im disappointed because i really like the truck. So I need help to get this finally done.
    My question is why doesn't the 2.6l 2wd head not work on the 4x4 truck isn't it the same danm block or at least that's what I've been told and I haven't been able to find any danm info on this subject. Or does anyone know if japan has some
    I have a $1000 invested in the engine please someone help!!!!!!thank you in advance

Array
    Status
    pa
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    US $255.60 29%OFF | 910175 4G54 G54B Complete Cylinder Head ASSY For Mitsubishi PAJERO L047 V32 MORTERO PICK-UP STARBO TURBO CARAVAN 2.6L 910 175
    https://a.aliexpress.com/_dUKC1Sg

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    ...and look for Mitsubishi 4G54 2.6 forklift, L200 Strada, Triton, Pajero, Shogun. It'll open up options for you.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Ever order from aliexpress -- wonder if it really works -- they seem to have everything -- good find on the cyl head

Array
    Status
    pa
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B

Array
    Status
    pa
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Allixpress ..It's a good website if you don't mind waiting to save some $$$. But with the corona V expect some long delays in shipping and sometimes you dont get anything but a refund after months out . I use it from time to time because they have l200 stuff.

Note:Alliexpress head does not have a cam .you could get it machined and reuse yours if it doesn't seem to bad .so no it's really not a complete head as like the last one I posted from racetep.com

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Hello YakaVegas! Long time since I been there.
    OK I have not used either of these sites. The guy I got fully rebuilt head from seems to no longer be in business. They took heads in any condition as core.
    I found this site https://www.americancylinderheads.co...ead_search.php If that doesn't have the search result just enter the info.
    And this one https://www.alliedmotorparts.com/cyl...itsubishi.html

Array
    Status
    Yak wa
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B-T
    So will a normal head off any other 2.6 will work?
    Because I have found plenty of those but when I read description it says 2wd only?

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by 88MightyMac View Post
    So will a normal head off any other 2.6 will work?
    Because I have found plenty of those but when I read description it says 2wd only?
    IDK. One site I found that gave me no results had an option for selecting 2wd and 4wd. But that could be one of those manufacturer distinctions without meaning.
    I expect someone with more experience will chime in soon.

Array
    Status
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Whether it’s 2wd or 4wd shouldn’t matter. As long as it’s a head with hydraulic lifters for a G54B engine and for a RWD vehicle, it will match you’re original head. You don’t want a head for a FWD vehicle because the cam shafts are different.
    Also, look at Engine Machine Service, Inc in Niles, Ohio. They’ve been serving the Starion/Conquest crowd for years and have better quality parts than many other distributors.

Note: When replacing a head, most folks switch to a non-jet valve head. They’re less prone to cracking and no different to install.
    Last edited by FMS88; 08-23-2020 at 09:17 AM.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    A head off a FWD engine 'will' work but you'll need to remove the water pump pulley as it's driven off the rear of the cam. IIRC the rocker covers are different, but I'd play it safe and get a RWD sourced head. Less thinking involved lol.

*addendum - you can swap a mechanical head to hydraulic etc but none of the valvetrain components interchange. You need a complete assembled head. The jet valves are irrelevant but again, if you can find a complete head sans jet valves get it. The jet valves are a weak point in the 4G54 heads and are prone to cracking if you have an overheat...
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Yak wa
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B-T
    Thank you that's exactly the info I was looking for I will post pictures when I'm done with truck now to find all the parts and bolts from sitting around and two moves lol