Array
    Status
    Augusta GA
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

1990 Mighty Max/s m Issues w/ Shift Linkage

Hello, i have a 1990 Might Max extended cab, i just bought it anyways, the guy that i bought it from told me that the linkage under the steering column & dash wasnt set exactly right. Its an automatic, btw, anyways it cranked fine until a couple days ago but now it wont turn over in park, i have to place it in neutral, also it just over but wont start. Almost like its not getting spark. I changed the rotor button and fixing to change plugs & wires.
    Could someone please explain to me how to set the linkage, and suggest what else could be causing the starting issues? I do know its not the timing.
    Thank you!

Array
    Status
    Lexington NC
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    I had a similar problem with my 1992 model. It is an automatic extended cab. Have you checked the linkages underneath the truck on the transmission? I found that the plastic guides for the metal linkage rods were brittle and falling apart. One was already completely gone. I had to go to advance auto parts to the HELP parts section and find some new pieces that I could make work. Just a suggestion. This fixed the problem with mine. It was doing the same thing.

Array
    Status
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Sounds like it could be the neutral safety switch? That won't let you start unless you're in Park or Neutral, so it could be misaligned or getting dodgy.
    1987 Dodge Ram 50 4G54 RWD longbed ("Elmo")
    1979 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Lola")
    1982 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Luigi")

Array
    Status
    redding ca
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    yep, neutral safety switch. i had a similar issue with my 1990. i cant remember at the moment how i fixed it but i remember it being pretty easy.

Array
    Status
    Augusta GA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Well i know that the linkage isnt set correctly because the person i bought it from told me that he worked on it and the plastic retainer broke off. I fixed that isdue, but like i said not no accelerating but at driving speeds it wants to act like it needs to shift. I can feel & hear it shift when im accelerating like its suppose to do, but lets say i reach 45mph, or higher, it like its pulling back or needs to shift like its in 2nd and needs to change to 3rd type thing. It will start like its hiccupping but when i give it gas it stops and works fine until its at a steady speed again. What is this issue & how to fix it. I also noticed that if i go like l want to pass simeone it doesnt kickdown into a passung gear just stays in the gear its in.

Array
    Status
    Augusta GA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    By the way could the linkage not being set properly cause this issue?

Array
    Status
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Sounds like you're actually in 2nd when you think it's in D.
    1987 Dodge Ram 50 4G54 RWD longbed ("Elmo")
    1979 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Lola")
    1982 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Luigi")

Array
    Status
    Ca
    Vehicle

1993 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    2x4? 4x4? 4g64 or 6g72 ?
    thx

Array
    Status
    redding ca
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    before my automatic went out, it would act like its jumping in and out of gears. yours is probably due for a band adjustment. if you are over 75,000 miles than its definitely due for one. fwiw my tranny died at 105,000 miles. these trannys are based on a Chrysler a500 and use the same maintenance intervals. i ripped mine out and tossed a manuel in.

so get a band adjustment done and see how it drives. also get the kickdown cable adjusted. ive done some looking but cant drrm to fine the procedure right now. will update once i have it.

Array
    Status
    Augusta GA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Hi, yes i have completely traced down the linkage components, now the linkage does need what i call bushings, the guy i bought it from told me that the "plastic" came off the connecting ends of the joints however he didnt mention why he was messing with the linkage in the first place. Yes that is where i found those plastic pieces that the joints of the linkage uses for keeping tight fittings, I have already gotten them replaced and working however it is still like its pulling back or its trying to change into a lower gear that just doesnt exist with this transmission.. but now its not doing it all the time but about half time now.. for instance I can go somewhere lets say to the corner store, it will run fine with not alot of jerking, pulling back etc.. then lets say i need to go again tomorrow and i head out ... it will be really acting up. So it doesnt act up constantly. Its almost like everything i upgrade and/or replace it will run just alittle better with each thing. So, it's driving me nutty tryin to figure it all out. Thank you for the info I will take a looksee again to make sure i haven't missed anything

Array
    Status
    Augusta GA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    nah its because the shift linkage isnt set properly, i have gotten that one straightened out and with a brand new NSS unit I really didnt need so i just put it up just in case . Thank you

Array
    Status
    Augusta GA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    oooo.. that is what i want to do, put a 5 spd manual in instead of this darn 3 spd w/OD. I have found that the overdrive isnt engaging or atleast i cant tell any difference with it off or on. So i'm taking that as it sayin that its either not having any power to it meaning the switch isnt working properly or something. Anyway, How hard is it to change the auto tranny to a manual one? i mean it has the openings for the clutch pedal already. the cut out i mean, but it has a bench type seat so i would probably have to change the seats to bucket style ones. I cant stand the shifter on the column so i would probably have to cut an opening for the shifter to be on the floor as well. How would it match up to the existing engine in it. Mine is 2.4L i believe the engine numbers are 4G64 which for a 1990 is the 2.4L. Wouldn't there have to be modifications on both the rear axle as well as the rear engine area to insure proper working? and to answer your question it has over 190k miles on it.. it appears to have factory original internals that nothing has been changed out. I have noticed however, that there are supposed to be 10 bolts adjoining the bell housing of the tranny to the rear of the engine etc.. well there are 2 bolts missing off each side of the bellhousing.
    You wouldn't happen to know the sizes of those bolts so that i can get the proper ones to put them back in place. Would that cause this issue that i'm having because of maybe the strain and sheer pressure of those missing support bolts. I had a Toyota Celica long time ago which i knew what sizes those bolts where, would think that they would list them somewhere but even the auto parts places doesn't even have it either. As it is right now, i will neeed to take one of them out then go to the parts place and let them figure it out on the sizers etc which means instead of 6 to hold it all together i would only have 4 or 5 which isnt safe for one thing.. plus damaging it all worse etc So if anyone happens to know either the size bolts they are or where i can find the info i need i would be really grateful..
    Thanks

Array
    Status
    Augusta GA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    its a 1990 2.4L TBI multi port etc. The engine # is 4G64, I'm not sure what the transmission is other than 3spd w/OD
    Its a microcab on the title its title is as follows 1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max /s Micro cab .. short bed.

Array
    Status
    Augusta GA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by SubGothius View Post
    Sounds like you're actually in 2nd when you think it's in D.
    at times yes it does seem like i'm in 2nd. but then it will shift two 2x which if it were in 2nd it wouldn't shift but just once. I know that it isnt shifting into the OD natter if its on or off.. I have also noticed tho, u know when u are passing someone on the road, u stomp the gas so to speak and the vehicle abruptly will shift into what i have always heard it called passing gear.. then just as u let off the gas it jumps back into regular gears? Well mine doesnt at any time go into the passing gear... at all. Its a huge cluster f*$k if a mess i tell ya lol plz forgive my language..
    Thank you

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    No OD usually indicates a bad temp sender or a fault where the OD switch is non functioning (could be the selector switch as other members have stated). See if you can pull error codes from the ECU - that will give you a hint on what the deal is. There is a bit of assing around to swap a 5 speed as there's a transmission lock out function that prevents the engine from starting if it isn't in P or N (requires a wiring mod to bypass it) and the trans tunnel in the auto wider so you lose some foot room, but it's doable.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Augusta GA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64

Hi everyone, i have a question... How hard would it be to change this 3sp w/od, to lets say a 5 sp manual? I've gotten tired of trying to fix its issues & believe it would be just way better to change it out, but if i'm gonna do that then i wanna put a 5sp stick back in its place. Thanks for the input.

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    surprisingly easy. You will just need the box, flywheel, clutch pedal assembly (i think drive shafts are the same)

Just need to make sure you get the correct box (wide i think for yours)

Array
    Status
    Augusta GA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Thank you. Im having to change out the head gasket now so i may go ahead and change out the tranny as well.