Array
    Status
    Highpoint,NC
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B

Question Help with 318 swap

Hi, I haven't posted on here for a while but i haven't had my truck for a long time. I sent it to a mechanic because the rings in the first cylinder seized and he didn't touch it for almost 10 months so i finally got mad and took it back, I'm sick of dealing with this stock 2.0 thats in it right now so i was thinking about swapping in a 318 and 727 automatic from my 88 dodge ramcharger into it, I was wondering what all custom fabrication i would need to do because I've heard conflicting stories about all it would entail. I know it'll need a custom driveshaft and I've heard about having to notch the frame and about the radiator mounts. I have a complete donor truck that runs and drives and my ram 50 is a 2.0 2wd manual. If anyone could help i would greatly appreciate it

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    You may need a custom modified oil sump to clear the main cross member. If you original truck is a manual you'll need to factor in a pedal swap and possibly some transmission tunnel mods for clearance and to install a shifter. Heater inlet/outlets will need re-routing to get them to connect with the factory heater box. We have members here who have done swaps and their threads have a lot of helpful info.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Highpoint,NC
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    You may need a custom modified oil sump to clear the main cross member. If you original truck is a manual you'll need to factor in a pedal swap and possibly some transmission tunnel mods for clearance and to install a shifter. Heater inlet/outlets will need re-routing to get them to connect with the factory heater box. We have members here who have done swaps and their threads have a lot of helpful info.
    I was planning on probably just cutting the original transmission tunnel out and making a custom one to weld in, i also heard that a full sized truck oil pan should fit over the cross member maybe? Do you think i could put in an automatic shifter from a ram 50 and hook it up with relative ease? Sorry i know its a lot of questions. Thank you for the help
    Do you think if i might

Array
    Status
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Ford V8
    The 2wd Truck pan is a front sump and should work just like the front sump on my 302.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    The 727 is the big brother version of the A904 3 speed. It won't take much messing around to install the auto shift assembly in the truck but expect to take a grinder to the floor to relocate it. I would cut the shifter section of the trans tunnel from the donor vehicle and graft it into the truck. It'll look way better than a hatchet and drill job and you'll be able to seal it up nicely. A B&M Megashifter would look cool in the cab of a D50
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function