Array
    Status
    Raymond, AB
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B

First Project Car!

Hey guys, I just got a 1988 Dodge D-50 for $200CAD and I am wanting to shove some better engine into it. Something that will have more power and have better fuel economy. I have been looking around and haven't found much. Any suggestions from you guys would be appreciated. The engine does work. I don't know what is wrong with it. Should I sell it or try fixing it?

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hi and welcome to mightyram. Being a 4G54 the only straight up swap will be a turbo Conquest/Starquest engine. Both are 4G54's and you'll need everything from a donor vehicle to get it to work. You can use a 4G64 engine from a later truck as the engines are both wide block pattern and it will allow you to go injected but again, you'll need everything from a donor truck to get it to work.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Raymond, AB
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Thanks for the recommendations. I have a 2002 chevy vortec v6 and 4l60 transmission and a 4 cylinder from a ranger that I am thinking of getting. I know have to decide if I want almost 3x the torque or close to 30mpg on the highway. It's a tough decision. What do you think?

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    A drivetrain swap is the alternative way to upgrade the truck. There is a lot to take into consideration when doing this - frame clearance, custom engine/transmission mounts, steering link clearance, modified tail shaft, transmission tunnel and firewall clearance - even the small stuff like hooking up the heater can be a PITA. But this platform is pretty flexible as the engine bay is a nice size to work with.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Ford V8
    either will work but I would lean towards a 2.3/2.5 out of a ranger. There is tons of aftermarket stuff for them, just drop on a nice turbo you have around 200hp. The other nice thing is you can get the wiring for the engine out of a lot of cars. Mustang,T-bird (Turbo Coupe), Cougar XR7 Turbo,Ranger, Mazda 23/2500,Zepher Z7. or you can go with a Megasquirt Stand alone.

The advantage of the 4.3L is you can go to a carb intake and get one of the new EFI carb replacements. MSD Atomic, EFI Tech, Holley Terminator, etc. so you don't have to really cut into the factory wiring. There is a good amount of aftermarket support for these engines as well.

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    if the truck is 2.6 and u have access to a starion drivetrain..... your path is cut
    Starion easily tripple the torque and can hit 30mpg if u can manage to keep your foot out. All bolt up

here is a simple setup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5fKGWc013A
    stock cam, cheap small ebay T3 turbo

Array
    Status
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Ford V8
    Dash the only problem with that is in Canada we didn't get the Starion so it's unobtainum up here. Canada only got the Dodge versions of some cars till 2000 when Mitsubishi was finally sold in Canada.

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Ah,, ok
    if shipping parts from the US is feasible.... get only those parts u need for a turbo conversion, perhaps
    ....vs the headaches of a full on drivetrain swap. Assuming u have a good running 2.6 at the moment i.e.

http://www.sqperformance.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=onhmpm6bhtqphhhlt85ss156e1&top ic=93.0