Array
    Status
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B-T

Jax Turbo Max

100_0376 (Small).jpg100_0381 (Small).jpg100_0438 (Small).jpg100_0383 (Small).jpgYou guys can check the old board for the beginning of this thread. Ive got some new plans for upgrading the turbo to a big 16g td05h I just picked up. Some new paint should come along in the next few months. Ive had some new ball joints for a while now but havent put them in. I want to go ahead and replace all the bushings while I am at it since its squeaking. Hopefully some new coil springs as well...mine are saggy.

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    The big 16g turbo fits without modification to your starion manifold? A lot of people on dsmtuners claim the evo 3 16g outflows the big 16g turbo. Just a little curious on your choice of upgrade.

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Chevy V8
    thats a fairly clean truck you got there.....ill be tuned into this one..

Array
    Status
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B-T
    Quote Originally Posted by 4doorciv View Post
    The big 16g turbo fits without modification to your starion manifold? A lot of people on dsmtuners claim the evo 3 16g outflows the big 16g turbo. Just a little curious on your choice of upgrade.
    Slight modification for the turbo. I can either send out my starion turbine housing and have it machined to fit the 16g exhaust wheel ( which will let me keep my existing downpipe) or I can make a new downpipe and use the 16g turbine housing. The starion manifold has about the same bolt pattern. There are a few ways to go about it. I need to reclock the compressor housing so that it points the right way and do some mods to the oil/water cooler lines.

Im not overly concerned about the flow rates. Not sure what the difference is. Its already a big upgrade for me since I only have a stock 12a on there now. I have already installed new injectors and a walbro 255 fuel pump. I picked up the turbo used and its an actual mitsu turbo...not some ebay stuff. A direct bolt on turbo would have been a lot more$$$. Trying to make big power with the g54b is much easier with mpi and before I go through all that I would just go 4g63 twin cam. There is a much larger aftermarket support and parts availability for the eclipse stuff. I have a 2.4 shortblock my buddy is trying to get me to put his turbo eclipse head on.

I never really planned on a turbo truck.....just kinda happened. If you talk to enough gearhead mechanics you are bound to find a deal you cant pass up. Thats how I ended up with the starion engine.

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    Deals always pop up. I scored lots of cheap stuff to free stuff from friends I delt with in the past, and new friends I came across that needed parts I had laying around collecting rust. Keep us posted on how your turbo upgrade goes. Oh, and nothing wrong with a 2.4/2.0 swap in the future. I'm happy with the way my truck performed before it crapped out.

Array
    Status
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B-T
    Parts on the way! I ordered a new pair of Moog coil springs. Got the Energy Suspension bushings also. Lower control arm, sway bar bushings with endlinks, strut bar bushings, and rear leaf spring bushings. Mine are way past due. The rubber is coming apart in chunks and squeeks like crazy.

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V8
    sweet man sounds like that thing will be riding nice..... i like your truck

Array
    Status
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B-T
    Quote Originally Posted by l.k. View Post
    sweet man sounds like that thing will be riding nice..... i like your truck
    thanx bud. I cant wait to get the parts thrown on there.

Array
    Status
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B-T
    Got some black seat belts to replace the old gray stock ones. I cant remember what year exactly (2001 I think) Daewoo. My belts would not hold tension any more and would just slowly unroll until they werent holding against my body. Id bet there are a lot of other cars you could get them from. They look really similar to Honda belts as well. I have Bucket seats from a starion so the belt latch just bolts to the seat. I think every mighty max I saw in the junkyard had the same issue with the belts and I dont believe they ever came in black.
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    Even the small interior alterations make the difference. I had a gray and black thing going in my civic hatchback before. I miss the ac on that thing. I'm going to try to see if the civic belts buckle into the Mitsubishi latch if my oem mightymax ones are still there.

Array
    Status
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B-T
    They had one max at the yard yeaterday.......beat to death. I did find a rear sway bar from a 88/89 F-150 4x4. Getting it off while laying on the dirt wasnt fun. When I got finished I walked around some more and found another that was less rusted....probably cause it was a 2 wheel drive 91 model. Same sway bar as far as I can tell except the end links were different.

They also had an old caravan with the 2.6 carb motor. I was looking for a temp switch for my electric radiator fan but the one on there had already been jumped with a wire to stay closed so I figured it probably didnt work. I am running out of ports to screw it into my intake and was hoping to get one that fit my radiator drain plug hole. I got a bunch of honda ones but they are too big.

When I noticed the valve cover with the mitsu name on it I had to get it......since I was already there anyway. Dont remember ever seeing one on a starion like that.
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V8
    nice find ....

any chance you could pick up some parts and ship them if i paypal you some money??????

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    Very nice score. Sway bar and a valve colver. Didn't find a radiator drain plug? Also what does the temp switch look like that you need. You might get lucky with the early eclipses/talon/laser also if it's pipe thread.

Array
    Status
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B-T

Lightbulb

[QUOTE=l.k.;1056]nice find ....

any chance you could pick up some parts and ship them if i paypal you some money??????[/QUOTE sounds good. I dunno how to ship big stuff though. I have heard many times that you can use the Greyhound bus lines and save a lot of $$$ but the reciever has to pick the stuff up at the bus terminal. I have never done this for myself although I do personally know a friend who has.

Array
    Status
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B-T
    Very nice score. Sway bar and a valve colver. Didn't find a radiator drain plug? Also what does the temp switch look like that you need. You might get lucky with the early eclipses/talon/laser also if it's pipe thread.
    I dont need a drain plug............I need a temp switch that will fit in the drain plug hole.
    One that is normally open and then closes the circuit when it get to like 180 degrees to turn on the cooling fan relay. There is a port in the intake i could put one in but i already have the sensor for my temp gauge in that hole. They have ones that you can insert into the radiator between the fins but I didnt find it worked too well for me.

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    Ah. Okay. Another thing you can try is to remove thermost housing, drill and tap in threads for a coolant fan switch that you have.

Array
    Status
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B-T
    Ah. Okay. Another thing you can try is to remove thermost housing, drill and tap in threads for a coolant fan switch that you have.
    just might come to that...I might have a spare to try it out.

Array
    Status
    Orange Park, FL
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Are you against just wiring your fan to come on when you turn on the motor? That's how I have mine wired up, could help you out if you need it.

Did you get the valve cover off the truck they had at the main st junkyard? That thing was so trashed, the bed got turned into a giant junk bin lol. I nabbed the wiper/blinker assembly behind the steering wheel off it.
    - Jason
    1995 Mighty Max || FQuick | My Build Thread

Array
    Status
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B-T
    Quote Originally Posted by blindeyed View Post
    Are you against just wiring your fan to come on when you turn on the motor? That's how I have mine wired up, could help you out if you need it.

Did you get the valve cover off the truck they had at the main st junkyard? That thing was so trashed, the bed got turned into a giant junk bin lol. I nabbed the wiper/blinker assembly behind the steering wheel off it.
    My fan is running whenever the key is on and I would rather have it off until it is needed.

Didnt go to Mainstreet.... maybe next weekend.

Array
    Status
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B-T
    Ordered the energy suspension parts online Thursday....still no tracking #.
    Sent them a request today and they responded saying the strut rod bushings are on back order and will take 2 weeks. What a joke! It took them until Tuesday to tell me and only because "I" asked. They have the stuff listed as "in stock". So now I can either wait it out or try to order somewhere else and wait for them to tell me its on back order. I was expecting to have all the parts for this weekend to knock it all out at one time. I think I saw them on ebay somewhere and might give that a try.

Ive been calling around looking for some new bushings for the rear sway bar and coming up empty. I really wanted to find some in town to avoid shipping and have them in my hands to compare with the old ones before I buy them.

The front coil springs came in and they look good. I wanted to get the belltech drop coils to go a lil lower but I dont think my 17 inch silverado wheels will tuck the front fenders. Already have 2 inch drop spindles in the front so Ill see how it looks with some new stock replacement coils.

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    You should try to tuck em. Best way to do so is to call your friends and tell em to stand on your front bumper. Lol. Or atleast sit on it. Or you could always bring the camber more negative.

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V8
    ok well things i need are small and easy to ship...ill be in touch when the time is right.

thanks man..

i in the past have just drilled and tapped the thermostat housing....but you can wire it up some other way not sure exactly ..

good luck

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    You can get a temp sensor that straps to the upper rad hose or the thermostat housing - never tried one but I looked at them several times. I'm running an adjustable fan control that I can adjust from the dash with a knob; it has a probe pushed in the fins.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B-T
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    You can get a temp sensor that straps to the upper rad hose or the thermostat housing - never tried one but I looked at them several times. I'm running an adjustable fan control that I can adjust from the dash with a knob; it has a probe pushed in the fins.
    yeah when I bought my fan I got the relay kit separate. It had one of those temp probes that sticks in the radiator fins but I didnt like the way it fit.
    Seemed to me it didnt come on till way late. Id like for it to operate properly and not be running while the truck is still warming up. I have a 180 degree thermostat and I figured I would get a switch to come on about that temp. That is how the starion one is setup anyway.

Array
    Status
    KY
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B-T
    are you running any emission stuff with your swap? I used one of the ports on the intake manifold for my fan switch. I used the one that the egr solenoid switch used (sensor with 2 plastic nipples).

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast