Thread: hello, meet mr.won't idle right

Array
    Status
    Modesto to Fresno CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max

hello, meet mr.won't idle right

I always wanted a beater to drive around the fishing hole. Now i got one that wont idle right.

oh, HI.
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    Hi, can you only drive it clockwise? :-)

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    That was so bad, but clever. Maybe if you tilt it to the left it'll idle smoothly... jk. Check the hoses inside the box on the drivers side inner fender - critters crawl in there and eat the hoses or they dry rot from heat or age. Also check that the metal tube coming out of the exhaust manifold is not cracked. and tighten up the intake, exhaust, and carb bolts/nuts to eliminate leaks. Welcome to the site - we are a great lot that sometimes has an unusual sense of humor...
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Modesto to Fresno CA
    Vehicle

Thanks for the humor guys.
    The vehicle is running better now after i adjust the a/f mixture screw to 2.5 turn out and 3.5 turn on all the other screws(SAS,Fast Idle,Throttle opener) I also adjusted the distributor for timing to 8degree BTDC by moving the rotor counter clockwise and turning the distributor clockwise all the way. I don't know how im going to adjust the distributor anymore to get my timing lower. The engine still does a loopy idle but has been holding idle at stops. Took it for a 95 miles drive and back this weekend out of town. The Max got 23mpg on freeway driving so im sort of happy.

pennyman, I have checked the box on the driver fender side and everything looks A OK. I tighten the exhaust and intake manifold bolts also.

Time to do some fishing now!

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    You will need to pull the distributer out until you can move the rotor 1 tooth, and re time. But if you are at 8 then it's ok.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Modesto to Fresno CA
    Vehicle

Sup Camoit, Which way do i turn the rotor, clockwise or counter clockwise one tooth? I pull the distributor out today and move the distributor rotor counter clockwise one tooth. The truck started bogging and running retarded(slow). I tried gas'n it and it won't rev up at all but still hold idle. I move the rotor clockwise one tooth and it won't start. The timing on the crank jumps back to 10degree btd also sometimes, I have to wiggle it clockwise all the way to get 8degree btdc.

I did a oil change(mobil 1) it and bought two new autozone front shocks . It's riding better and im learning more about it each time i work on it.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    To advance it 1 tooth you would turn it the opposite direction of the way you twist the distributer to advance it. That can be confirmed by looking at the direction the vacuum advance pulls the breaker plate.

(Advance is always opposite the direction of rotation, OR opposite the way the vacuum advance pulls. This is for ALL cars and trucks make or model.)

....BIG THING..... You just said the crank timing jumps 10 deg. Does this happen all the time or when and how?
    There is a possibility the gear on the distributer is warn and needs to be replaced. Always move the tooth when the engine is on TDC #1. Then you can look and line up the electrode in the cap to the rotor to confirm all your settings.
    You can always pull the valve cover and look in there.
    Last edited by camoit; 01-31-2012 at 10:18 PM.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Modesto to Fresno CA
    Vehicle

10 years later, haha sorry for the really late reply
    I pulled the valve cover off and look to see if what you was talking about, but i didn't see any where that shows the distributor teeth visible. I put the timing back to 8btdc and notice there was sparking coming out of the distributor mount , where it is bolt down to the manifold when i turn the distributor.

I think the timing skips around from 10btdc then back to 8btdc probably from a surge in the idle.

I'll just keep tweaking with it. Thanks for all your response and suggestions camoit, plus everyone else that chime in to help a fisherman ride. you all been a great help on the site.