Thread: Need help with Mikuni to Weber carb swap!

Array
    Status
    Moncks Corner, SC
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B

Need help with Mikuni to Weber carb swap!

Hi everyone! I'm trying to remove my old mikuni carb so I can replace it with the Weber 38DGES, but I can't figure out how to remove it. I have the old haynes book, but it doesn't have a pictures I need to understand what to do. So far I've removed these 4 long 12mm bolts and loosened a handful of phillips screws. Looking at other posts online, it looks like those 4 are the only things holding it in? But it still won't budge :/

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Slightly off topic, I can't help you remove it but Xboxrox is looking for a used Mikuni. Yours might suit him so don't trash it if you don't have to.
    There are factory manuals in the manuals section. You have to be a donator to get access.

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Jen, there are 5 carburetor mounting bolts on my Gen1 1986 truck... The 5th bolt is a short fastener at right front of the carb... You will get plenty of help here at MightyRam50 welcome...

Array
    Status
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    The four bolts you removed are all that hold the Gen 2 (1987-89) Mikuni to the manifold. There are no other bolts and the philips screws bolt the carb air horn to the phenolic mixing body. Put those back in so the top doesn't come off sending small parts flying.

The mounting gasket has all but fused the carb to the manifold which is why it wont budge. Try finding a spot where you can insert a large screw driver between metal parts of the carb and manifold and gently twist or pry with the screwdriver. I think there's a spot below the throttle body port for the coolant hose. Don't try to force it between the carb throttle body and the manifold mating surfaces. That will damage the manifold gasket surface.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    If your carb has the inbuilt EGR valve, there will be a small bolt going through the base of the carb facing the side where all of the vacuum barbs are connected. You will need to give the carb a light tap with a soft faced mallet on the side of the carb to help unseat it in some circumstances. Some carbs are just straight up stubborn, some have been glued down with that make-a-gasket crap by someone who didn't know what they were doing...

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Weber-Ca...-/332091377855

Notice on this adapter plate there is an extension hanging of the side of the throttle plate base? That is where the 5th bolt is located
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Jen, at O'Reilly's Auto Parts web site, they have seven different carburetors for a 1989 G63B Ram 50 ~ they all show photos of four bolt hold down pattern except one of the seven looks as though it has FIVE hold down bolt holes ~ PART# 11-196 LINE TMC

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/tomco-5051/fuel---emissions-16775/carburetors---parts-16801/carburetor-12234/840def96ca83/tomco-mikuni-solex-2bbl-carburetor/11196/4746497/1989/dodge/ram-50?pos=1

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by 85Ram50 View Post
    Slightly off topic, I can't help you remove it but Xboxrox is looking for a used Mikuni. Yours might suit him so don't trash it if you don't have to.
    There are factory manuals in the manuals section. You have to be a donator to get access.
    Thanks for the Bump 85