Array
    Status
    Ladoga
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B

1988 mighty max swap

1988 4x4 mitsi it has a 2.6L motor and i was woundering if i could swap it to a newer model 2.4 like a 94 or 95 and will the tranny still work same bolt pattern? Or what will would like it to have a efi or eci system like the 95 I had.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hi and welcome to mightyram. The 4G54 and the 4G64 are wide block engines so you can swap them. The only thing I'm in the grey area over on the swap is the clutch/pressure plate/thrust bearing. There are different thrust/throw out bearings - this seems to catch people out all the time without doing an engine swap as the shallow/narrower throw out bearing barely has enough travel to disengage the clutch. It may or may not affect you when swapping the engine over. You can swap EFI onto the 4G54 but it requires an injection manifold from an Australian made Mitsubishi Magna, modifying the manifold and then running an ECU with all of the ancillaries to get it to work. It's a popular mod with the Starquest/Conquest tuners.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Ladoga
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B
    Can I do a efi system like a holly or edelbrock type or something of the sort?

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    No reason why you couldn't but you are facing custom adapter plates, maybe some assing around to get the factory ignition system to co-operate with the aftermarket EFI and also the fact that you will literally be the guinea pig with setting it up as I doubt there will be any specific info on how to install it on a Mitsubishi 4 cylinder engine. The kit itself is going to hit you for $1,100ish before you figure out what else will need to be done to make it work. And to be honest, the factory carbed NA intake manifold is is pretty ordinary (better than Astron I intakes with 2 different length runners, but still not great) You may even run into unseen hurdles like lack of sufficient clearance around the EFI system just to install it.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    az
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I have done the 2.6 to 2.4 swap in my truck. You will have to modify the oil pan to clear the front diff. I spent almost 8 months trying to find an oil pan to fit the 4G motor. If they exist in the united states they are very, very hard to find (Montero Maybe but good luck). I ended up cutting a hole in the pan and welding in a piece of bent 3 inch exhaust to make it work, much faster... As for the rest of it. Make sure you grab everything off of the donor truck, and I do mean EVERYTHING... Even the tabs that are welded to the fender wells that all the accessories are mounted to in the engine compartment. That is only if you want a factory look. As for the clutch I used all 4g64 components except the clutch release arm and it all lined up no issue. Wiring wasn't too hard, there are only about 8 or 10 wires that need to be hooked up from the ecu to the dash to make most things work. The rest of the wiring is basically standalone once you separate it from the rest of the truck parts. Or if you have a complete donor truck you can pull the entire wire harness and update the 88. And last but not least the fuel system. I pulled out everything I could from my donor truck and still had to make a few things. I used my old fuel tank because the U pull it yards punch a hole in the tanks to drain them so rather than weld a fuel tank I just make mine work. I used a ford fuel pump mid 80s-90s anything really most of then had an external pump. and even though I pulled the lines i still had to straighten most of them out and re bend them our buy new lines to make them work. Old tank and external fuel pump, nothing quite lined up correctly.

So basically in a nut shell it wasn't quick easy task. What I would suggest if you want to "Inject" the g54B in your truck now. find someone in your area that knows Megasquirt tuning that you can ask for assistance/help if needed and grab a throttle body injection unit off on older Chevy 4 cylinder or v6 car/truck car. I had a fiero with the 4cylinder in it and IIRC the throttle body bolt pattern wasn't that much bigger/different than the carb on the MM/D50. the megasquirt can be configured to work with just about anything. If I were to do it again this is what I would do if I wanted to keep the G54B engine.

Mike

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    u can find complete starion TBI injection systems for sale on starquest forums at reasonable price
    Folks either upgrading to multiport or engine swap
    Simple system, only require 3 or 4 wires to run

4x4wire forums have several threads converting 2.6 to starion TBI from weber carb
    TBI sorta versatile: many run aftermarket injectors. Stock ecu reliable and compatible with GM MAF Translator
    Starquest member offers 'deals' on numerous configured megasquirt for 2.6. HUGE plus is he knows the platform

http://www.sqperformance.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=onhmpm6bhtqphhhlt85ss156e1&top ic=93.0