Status
    MKE, WI
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72

MM / PR Modification Guide Book

Hello,

I've recently scratched a decade long Mighty Max itch. My Jeep was stolen and wrecked this winter, conveniently around the time a 1990 Power Ram long bed popped up for sale, so here I am.

Now to the point. I am excited to get to know this truck well and was hoping to recruit some help from the community to put together organized PDF's of reference materials, diagrams, etc for swaps, mods, and so on. I'm a designer by trade so I'd like to put something nice together that I can donate to this site for everyone to have access to. I dont want any funding, just experts in the community that I can collaborate with to put together comprehensive guides with easy to understand diagrams. Essentially an aftermarket shop manual.

I'm personally interested in doing the Montero SR factory locker swap in mine, so I would love to get started on that. But I would like to hear from anybody else on suggestions of what to include in the manual.

Thank you!

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hi and welcome to mightyram. That is going to be one hell of an endeavor. You'll have base platform mods, 4G and 6G engine swaps (which we have), DSM and Evo cross platform modifications, then the full custom drivetrain swaps from other manufacturers (there's an endless stream of people asking what V8's will fit in our trucks) You would end up with this site minus the members. We have a hell of a lot of PDF's for the trucks as references and the good thing is we do actually have threads for bolt on mods from other Mitsubishi platforms (brakes, drivetrain and suspension) We have threads in the resource center like this monster -

http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...-Manual-inside

If it's been done, it's here. If it hasn't been done, it's either not worth doing or you haven't looked hard enough The hardest thing to get info on are the actual dimensions of individual parts (what bolts on and what doesn't) and cataloging them. This would be a mammoth task. I had to do a definitive thread just on swapping Gen 2 front brakes onto a Gen 1 truck to confirm interchangeability of the ball joints and what will foul what part by trying to swap individual steering hub components (this swap turned out a no-brainer if you used the entire assembly as opposed to just using the rotors and calipers) The best thing members can do with their build threads is add links to everything - parts and sources, links within the site to where the information is stored and pictures (LOTS of pictures) We would fall over each other trying to get our hands on the equivalent of the VW bible for Mitsubishi trucks, but the truth is there is too much information.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    MKE, WI
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    Your right that this is a big endeavor, but it's very doable with the help of this community. I dont intend to documenting everything thats ever been done (one off custom fabs). Just start with the small stuff and work through everything one step at a time. I'm trained in traditional drafting so building digrams is'nt frightening to me at all.

I do understand that there are threads on this work, but having a clean organized document with easy to read lists and diagrams is worth the work. It would essentially be a library for the site. It may not be a step by step how to, but it could be a guide for getting prepared. Also I spent a lot of time in the VW and Jeep communities so fabrication and cross platforming is something I'm very familiar with. Believe me when I say I know what this entails. Part of my job is excessive research and synthesis of information. I love organizing information so this would be a fun side project for me.

Ill take any help I can, even if its linking me to certain threads, books, or pictures that will answer a lot of questions. Perhaps the first step would be to compile a list of what could be included and go from there?

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    A good question. This might be a thread you'll have to kick off yourself and ask the members what they recommend and get them to rate it's validity as a modification and/or difficulty level.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    MKE, WI
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    Thank you. Well since im new to the Mighty Max scene ill just start with some swaps that I know about

Montero SR Axle swap - I imagine the main thing here is parts to pull and welding leaf spring perches on
    Rear Coil swap - Nothing I would do but I know some people prefer that
    Sport gauge cluster - probably the easiest one
    Solid front axle - love 'em, but I am ooover doing the maintanence on them
    Front & Rear Brake swaps - not sure what upgrades are out there, but i'd be curious to learn about that personally

I think these are the simpler things that would be good to start with.
    I would love to hear any other suggestions though. Perhaps if these turn out well something bigger like an engine swap can be put together.

Array
    Status
    MKE, WI
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    Thank you. Well im new to mighty the Mighty Max so my ideas are limited.

Montero SR rear axle swap

Sport gauge cluster

Front & Rear Brake swap

Rear Coil springs

Solid FRont Axle

These are some of the simpler to diagram options in my opinion. I'd love to hear ideas from others. Maybe if these go well I could jump into something more complex like a motor swap.