Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B

Wiper linkage bushings

I searched and there are only about 5 wiper threads. Thanks for that diagram of the linkage BradMPH.
    I need at least one of the small ones but I would like to replace all four.
    Any idea where to get them or what after market part fits?

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    I tried a couple of Dorman bushings for the smaller one. They seem tight, had to use the vice to get them in, the whole bushing rotates when I move them manually.
    I was going to put it in to test them and see if I should keep on looking (no change to the larger ones) and the dang pivot (name?) for the wiper arms stripped! They were close already but I thought I could get away with this.
    Has anyone solved this problem? Has anyone tried running a smaller size die over it and using a smaller flat nut?

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1992 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G61
    IF you can measure the sizes (of the hole/pin), you might be able to find them on McMasterCarr. Acetal would be the best material for it.

https://www.mcmaster.com/bushings/be...erial~plastic/

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Oh damn. Maybe a strip out of a soft drink/beer can as a crush shim? And is there an alternative? Will Gen 2 wiper pivots work? Or someone posted that Volvo wiper arms fit our trucks - maybe the whole pivot pin and bushings will swap in with a little tweaking? I saw ready made threaded rods with heim joints/links on them in various sizes - it sparked the idea of using these for wiper linkages with a little grinding and mods on the existing pivot arms...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1PC-Aluminu...97.m4902.l9144

They are available in M4 sizes as well. Not sure if you'd need to go M5 or what the availability is. But if your wipers are clunky adjustable rods and new heim joints will make them run crazy smooth (if the idea works)
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Mine are sluggish, especially when they only have a squirt from the washer fluid. I was hoping new grease in the bushings would help.I tried to get an 18mm die to thread chase it but no joy. What threads are left they tell me are 1.0 so it would be a 18x1.0 mm die.
    I have a line on a set I can drive two hours north and pay $50 for. I am going to go scrounging in the closer yards first.
    I was hoping someone knew of an interchange fit like the Montero setup. OH well hopefully by lunch I will have a set. Off to turn my pizza dough over.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    I would say the guts of the gear drive are the problem. The gear drive housings can be disassembled and I doubt there's much inside of them, but I can almost guarantee the grease is as hard as a rock. A big clean out, some low melt grease and possibly a look at the motor to check the condition of the brushes/armature etc. This should be easier than stripping a starter motor down

*Graphite wiper blades are brilliant
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Never heard of graphite blades. The problem could be the cheap glass the window guy put in :/ I'll look into it. Going over it with the glass cooktop cleaner and a no scratch scrubber helped.
    So I am going to get some used linkage today one way or another. I decided to order myself a tap and die M18x1 so I can see if the one I have is fixable. I got the tap to chase the jam nuts which are banged up too. If it works yea!
    Edit- Plan change douchebag at the local wasted my day so I don't have the time to make it up north until tomorrow.
    Last edited by 85Ram50; 06-30-2020 at 01:12 PM.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Cheap or old wiper blades drag like hell on glass. I bought a pair of graphite blades a long time ago and they ran quiet and I think a lot smoother compared to plain rubber. I bought another set to replace the ones on the Hung Dog and they really scrape the rain off the glass well (the windshield is hell scratched up and chipped). If the replacement blades look dark grey and have some 'flake' to them they'll be graphite impregnated (they should have it stated on the packaging but sometimes they don't specify) Something simple and cheap like good wiper blades pay for themselves

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Well I got it. It is in good shape, I will probably just grease the bushings without pulling them apart. The Brothers at Ram Light Truck were cool as usual. Not happy right now due to the dam interstate which should be 4 lanes one way only being 2 lane for 70 miles from my house then its 3 for the next 55 and the maroons still manage to clog it up!... Well at least I got 20MPG on my Dakota 3.9 when I usually get 15.5 in town. Who knew the V8's gave better Mileage in the Dakota? not me or I would have swapped it out instead of spending all that money on it.
    Edit, I cleaned and painted it. Will grease and install it tomorrow, feel better eating pizza
    Last edited by 85Ram50; 07-01-2020 at 01:32 PM.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Grease make wipers go so much faster. Use white lithium
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Falls Mills Va
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Wiper arms from early 90s 4runners slide right on, I have not tried it yet. Waiting to get mine running again before I drop that kind of money lmao. But I was researching the blade arms the day my truck died.

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by camoit View Post
    Grease make wipers go so much faster. Use white lithium
    Bought a fresh tube just for it.

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    sheepishly asks "How do you get the wipers connected to the motor at the right spot? I installed the new linkage and when I connected it to the motor the first stroke was a down stroke. I took the arms off and watched it. When I turn it off it ends rotating so that the blades would be up. Anyone know the right way to set them?" he says red faced.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    with the arms off test it. Look to see what direction they are moving. If they are moving the wrong direction you have the pivot arm 90 deg. out.
    If they are pointing towards the windshield they go one direction. If they are pointing towards the engine they go the other way.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by camoit View Post
    with the arms off test it. Look to see what direction they are moving. If they are moving the wrong direction you have the pivot arm 90 deg. out.
    If they are pointing towards the windshield they go one direction. If they are pointing towards the engine they go the other way.
    Thank You it worked. I marked the pin with a silver sharpie. Edit- To be more clear I marked it, then took the mount bolts off the motor, pulled the linkage so the mark was at its opposite apex, undid the nut, rotated the pivot, put it back on, and remounted the motor. I also have new mounting bushings the old rubber was hard and cracking. I ran across them by accident while I was looking for linkage bushings.
    Last edited by 85Ram50; 07-02-2020 at 02:58 PM.

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Tap and Die came in. 18m x 1
    The die screwed on by hand most of the way and when I used a tool it was like no effort. I had the curved flat part at the base in a bench vice very tightly. Chased the nut easily as well in my hands and they went right on to the posts. I wouldn't tighten them with a lot of torque but I am sure they will work. (edit- with blue locktite) So there ya go for a fix on your wiper linkage being stripped. $45US for the tap and die and if you know someone with a metric tap and die set that goes up to 18m x 1, free.
    Last edited by 85Ram50; 07-10-2020 at 05:55 AM.

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    So the bushings finally arrived. They fit. So here is a source for the large wiper bushings. https://www.ebay.com/itm/333486375658
    IDK about the smaller ones I used since I have not used this linkage since I took it out. I used a Dorman off the shelf they seem stiff so they might not be the best. Here is a pic. They are two part. You put the larger on with the bigger hole in first then compress the other half in I used pliers. Squirted some white lithium in there and the ball went right in.
    Ookay the pic won't upload. "Upload of the file failed"
    Edit- Maybe I am in the doghouse? I can't post in shout box either.
    Here it is. I had to resize it in Paint since lenovo has a crap photo editor. Weird that it adds a link two times
    Attached Images
    Last edited by 85Ram50; 08-11-2020 at 03:49 PM.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    ^that is an awesome find! Someone sticky that for later reference

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    Link is dead but it looks like Toyota ringer AE100 bushings were the auction?

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    that is the right bushing from the Toyota tiger AE100.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980