Thread: Length of mechanical fuel pump push rod?

Array
    Status
    Glendale AZ
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B

Length of mechanical fuel pump push rod?

My truck is a 1985 mighty max with the 2.0. I had to use a custom push rod to get the truck running since the original one was lost sometime ago.
    So the issue I have is the truck sputters then dies when my tank reaches 1/4 tank.
    I checked the float to make sure it wasn't reading wrong but I was able to confirm that it works as intended and I still had a good amount of fuel.
    Next I want to make sure the push rod is the appropriate length. Maybe if it's shorter than what it is supposed to be it doesn't create the vacuum necessary to pull the fuel all the way at the bottom?

Thanks

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    2 and 3/4 inches long. Made of 1/4 inch rod with the edges ground off.

.25 rod,2.75inches long.jpg

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    If it's running out of fuel when your gauge is showing 1/4 full, you are looking in the wrong place for the fault. Check your tank float and sender - if there was a pump fault it would consistently run bad. My bet there's either a fault with the sender or the fuel pick up in the tank. The fuel pump will lose pressure when it's tired, and if it has failed you'll see fuel/oil leaking from the port in the pump body (unless you get really unlucky and it's bypassing back into the engine) Are there any other symptoms or conditions the engine starves out?
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Glendale AZ
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    I don’t think it’s the float or sender because when I drained the fuel tank the gauge dropped to the very bottom hash mark and I retrieved almost 2 gallons of fuel.

Array
    Status
    Glendale AZ
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Thanks for the specs!

Array
    Status
    Glendale AZ
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    So after measuring my push rod I discovered it was a half inch too short. I'll have to hunt one down or switch to an electric fuel pump.

Thanks

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    had a post glitch - just ignore me lol
    Last edited by geezer101; 06-14-2020 at 05:00 AM.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Err, be careful on that. There are 2 types of pump and actuator rod assemblies... how did the original actuator rod go missing? I've heard of guys accidentally dropping them into the drain gallery and it ending up in the sump (won't damage anything but is a biatch to get out)

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    The rod did not come with the new mechanical pump I had put in. It is the original rod that was there for the last pump I had. Mine is an 85 ram50 2.0 g63b motor

Array
    Status
    Glendale AZ
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    The truck had a electric pump that didn't work and the mechanical pump still attached to the head without the rod. Not sure if it's in the oil gallery or previous owner left it out on Purpose.