Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

No start

My all original 86 won't start... After my mechanic friend changed the carb accelerator pump it ran really rough at startup but ran good warmed up... Changed to another carburetor still same rough running cold, good run warm...

So the truck was running good (rough at cold startup though) but then began to have hard hot start problem. Now it won't start at all...

History of it running good over two years:
    New spark plugs
    New coil
    New spark plug wires
    New fuel filter
    New fuel pump (helped solve low power)
    New carburetor
    New ignition switch (solved slow crank problem)

So now it won't start

New ignition control module (no help)

The shop working on the truck said it produced one good spark off the coil high tention wire then nothing...

IDEAS:
    Test coil
    Test coil HT wire
    Hunt for a junkyard ECM (RWD & 4X4 same?)

Help if you can -- new battery & cranks strong

THANKS

EDIT: Installed new coil to distributor high tension wire; no help, still no start but a little better spark out the end of the new coil wire...
    Last edited by xboxrox; 06-06-2020 at 11:09 PM.

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    What else did he do when he replaced the pump? Did he adjust anything?

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Yes he did --
    Cleaned dist cap & rotor
    Adjusted timing (without timing light I BET) we have a light
    Adjusted carb SAS1 idle speed

Coil test next -- YouTube video showed an easy way using jumper wire with small alligator clips

Thanks for the ??? 85Ram. Is your truck running??

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    I didn't notice it wasn't running when he started. No mine is not running. I've been letting my body relax and doing other stuff since Monday. The last thing I did was unwrap half of the harness section that has the black/white wire in it going over to the ecu thing. The solenoid for my other starter came I might rebuild it tomorrow.

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    LATEST: today installed new coil no help & starting fluid no help... My mechanic friend Vernon said he saw too much gas down the carb air intake -- says the engine is flooding... He will remove & work on the Mikuni carb float needle seat jets etc...
    Removed one plug it was black black black but it still fired a spark... I will install new plugs as well...

At least I got the Made-in-China coil off the truck the NAPA ECHKLIN (sp?) coil is Made-in-USA

I might even put new NAPA Echklin cap & rotor (the expensive brown color parts) already have a new NAPA set of plug wires left over from the shop working on the truck = all new secondary ignition = IF IF IF the Mikuni gets correctly fixed then this truck should run really well
    Fingers X'd
    Last edited by xboxrox; 06-07-2020 at 07:52 PM.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Fuel bowl vent issue? Seen a number of members say they've had flooding issues and it was connected to a bad fuel bowl vent. Might want to check it out
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    OOC why aren't you guys upgrading to solid state coils? They're compact, deliver better spark - and they're cheap. Found this on the E of Bays -

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Herko-Ignit...IAAOSwTU9baDlm

This one comes with the coil mounting bracket, connectors and the ballast resistor as a single unit
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer geezer 'n kinda lazy, think: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it or mod it" mostly I'm too lazy to change even a coil from stock to upgrade...

FUEL BOWL VENT:
    Your carb advice will be applied to our work on Mr. Mikuni Mitsubishi -- sumpin sure ain't right...

I am so anxious for any automaker to build & sell a tiny (small) truck or trucklet that is half the price or less than a Honda Ridgeline $43,000.00 base model

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Oooh just spotted this too - look up Fiat Strada/Ram 700. Release dates have been held back due to the COVID nonsense and contagious rioting...

https://www.motoring.com.au/ram-700-...images-123720/ OK now I'm done with hijacking your thread George

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    The only example of a light/mini truck that was made sort of recently was the Proton Jumbuck/Arena (that's mid to late 2000's) BUT you may/may not want one. Positive - Mitsubishi drivetrain and body panels = easy to get parts. Negative - it is a DEATH TRAP. The cab was based on Mitsubishi Mirage/Lancer panels but everything from the rear window is Proton designed. And there are other pitfalls in owning one - primarily the social stigma and public ridicule...

https://www.betootaadvocate.com/unca...roton-jumbuck/ (apparently this is ACTUAL news in far north QLD )

Array
    Status
    Newburgh, NY
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    VW has been making these in Brasil since the 90's (maybe earlier?) for the latin american market, looks like they still are. A fast, fun, and dangerous, little car truck.
    https://www.vw.com.br/pt/carros/Saveiro.html

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    not thread jack - incomplete thread title

USA still imposes a 25% tariff on imported compact trucks - Chicken Tax

Honda Ridgeline is manf in Alabama, US so it avoids the tariff BUT it is still only a $18,000 value for the $43,000 price -- if it was imported add 25% more + extra shipping costs -- Honda knows it won't sell for half a million dollars a copy...

IMHO usa compact trucks are monster sized & not well engineered & overpriced...

At my age (72 in July) living on a small island, I just want a grocery getter, Dr. appointment 12 miles on the H3 Fwy & toy hauler to the beach... Our Kailua roads are all 25MPH

Parking spots here (Hawaii) are smaller than mainland, a full size crew cab long bed truck looks stupid in a parking lot...

I like cheap price, simple stripped base models, smallest engine, longest warranty, everything works and it fits me for driving (headroom legroom etc)

Hyundai or KIA anybody PLEASE start manufacturing a truck type ride in America preferably a 2 door cab... I will be buying !!!

Honda Ridgeline is too BIG 4 my taste & way overpriced and comes in two rotten colors...

Love the Proton Jumbuck & it even has a Mitsubishi engine, it's perfect !! But sadly, not available in the US

Parking my Rant 'n jealous of Australia's cool trucks...
    Last edited by xboxrox; 06-09-2020 at 01:18 AM.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    ...so it's a modernised Rabbit pick up? I don't know if it would be a deathtrap as it's made by VW (their reputation is already severely stained by the former CEO's belligerence so they shouldn't be thaaaat stupid) It'll have airbags and ABS, anti collision sensors and a pretty rigid cab. It does look a bit like a Golf wagon with the ass cut off it, but it's not fugly lol.

Array
    Status
    Newburgh, NY
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    It's based on the Gol, the Brazilian-made econo version of the Rabbit.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Gol

I like the look of the late 80's models. A friend had one of these, it had a small engine (1.3 or 1.6lL ?) but it was so light and fast that you had to drive around with ballast in the bed, otherwise it would fishtail like crazy.

Volkswagen-Saveiro-1987–91.jpg

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    MrPaco, wow, good catch finding that cool VW truck; I want the long bed regular cab version with snap on silver colored plastic wheel covers and body color white... If DELETE options are available I would select every one; don't need no stupid radio, CD player, in dash GPS, etc... My cell phone & a bluetooth small BOSE speaker is all I need...

Much as I would hate to; I would even pay $2,500.00 USD for a damn automatic transmission (for my wife to drive me around :^)

I bet geezer likes it too even tho VW deserves an ass whipping for polluting 'n cheating BUT it's still better than sumpthin Made-in-China... They really hurt the world...

Peace/Forgive

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    The VW pick up is pretty sharp - I could live with that. I'm not gonna hate on stuff just because it's made in China as I let a product hold up to it's own merits. I'd buy a Great Wall pick up even if it was only to debug it and install Mitsubishi peripherals on it so it wouldn't drive like a slug and have throttle position problems (4G64 engine and transmission, but horrid ECU and fly-by-wire set up) My dad recently bought a new MG3 hatch (made by SAIC China) and for $17K AUD (about $12k USD) this thing is really hard to fault. Build quality is near perfect, it's comfortable, it's drives pretty good, it's basic inside without it being cheap or poverty spec (a simple climate control set up and touch screen that you don't need a degree in quantum physics to navigate) and it's not ugly. He got the auto 4 speed (fair enuff, he isn't a 'driver') which has some weird rpm shift settings that need to be tuned out but it's forgiveable.

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    They used to sell the VW pickup here in the 80's. Subaru had one with seats in the bed, The Brat, right behind the window. They had to discontinue them they got sued for no seat belts and people dying while "having fun" by being ejected. You can still see them around every now and then.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by 85Ram50 View Post
    They used to sell the VW pickup here in the 80's. Subaru had one with seats in the bed, The Brat, right behind the window. They had to discontinue them they got sued for no seat belts and people dying while "having fun" by being ejected. You can still see them around every now and then.
    We got Brats here but they were called "Brumby" (Oz term for a wild horse lol) They didn't come with recreational ejector seats though and it would've been easy to rectify with a pair of harnesses anchored to the roll bar. You guys get all of the cool toys I actually want to get a pair of bucket seats and make a removable mount so I can live large at the last remaining drive in here in South Aust.

*addendum - lunatics here have been swapping WRX drivetrains into Brumbies - waaay too much fun

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Dang, I'm living in a cacoon, my next truck might very well be a Made-in-China product the way this world is going... I think the lowest priced car sold in USA is the Mitsubishi Mirage; too bad it's not made in truck form... I don't like USA import truck cacoon BAN

Hmp

Array
    Status
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Subaru BRATs in the US had those jumpseats in the bed to qualify as a passenger car exempt from the Chicken Tax. I clearly remember they were equipped with seatbelts as stock, though many owners removed those to reduce clutter or as they fell apart or quit working due to exposure to the elements, cargo, etc.

The smallest trucks currently sold in the US market are classified as "midsize", yet they're about the same or larger in every dimension than '70s-'80s full-size domestic trucks like the Chevy/GMC "squarebody" models.

We have our absurd CAFE regulatory scheme -- its "footprint" fuel-economy formulas in particular -- to blame for the disappearance of truly compact pickups (and affordable station wagons) from the US market:
    https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...tation-wagons/

If we replaced CAFE with a simple tax scaled to fuel consumption regardless of vehicle type or size like the EU has, that would create a market incentive favoring smaller, more fuel-efficient vehicles again. May be a moot point by now, since everything's ultimately going electric...
    1987 Dodge Ram 50 4G54 RWD longbed ("Elmo")
    1979 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Lola")
    1982 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Luigi")

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by SubGothius View Post
    The smallest trucks currently sold in the US market are classified as "midsize", yet they're about the same or larger in every dimension than '70s-'80s full-size domestic trucks like the Chevy/GMC "squarebody" models.

We have our absurd CAFE regulatory scheme -- its "footprint" fuel-economy formulas in particular -- to blame for the disappearance of truly compact pickups (and affordable station wagons) from the US market:
    https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...tation-wagons/

If we replaced CAFE with a simple tax scaled to fuel consumption regardless of vehicle type or size like the EU has, that would create a market incentive favoring smaller, more fuel-efficient vehicles again. May be a moot point by now, since everything's ultimately going electric...
    Thanks for this CAFE info SubGothius <---- I'm waiting for something truck like to replace my 86 Power Ram 50 -- an electric shopping basket?

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by xboxrox View Post
    Thanks for this CAFE info SubGothius <---- I'm waiting for something truck like to replace my 86 Power Ram 50 -- an electric shopping basket?
    I did a search and this looks simple https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECFn2QTldHk

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    OK video, I also liked the 2nd electric conversion video that came up as well, the Asian guy... My apartment bldg has no electric charging stations; Target Kailua & Long's Drugs parking garage has two chargers but they're one mile away... I still prefer a gasoline engine over electric motor, more rumble in the rumble seat with gas... he he

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    ^that will drive the truck - and nothing else. No A/C, no power steering, no boosted brakes... and it'll suffer from what every EV suffers from. Slow recharge time and having to plan where you're going in short distances. I can recharge my car in 180 seconds at a gas station

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    that vid is almost a decade old and he sells kits that charge off a regular 110 cord. Apparently he has worked out how to power the rest of accessories. They did a small truck like the MM size in a couple vids. Lots of lead acid batteries. Would be cool if a guy could get some Lithium ion batteries.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast