Array
    Status
    North Carolina
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B

Swapping out the g63b for a g54b

I recently picked up a G54B with transmission for $100, I don’t know if it runs but looks in good condition. My g63b in my truck smokes really bad and will not stay running unless my foot is on the throttle. How easy would it be to swap them out? What would need for the G54B to run?

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    If the output spline on the trans is the same as the existing one (which it 'should' be) - it's an engine in/engine out deal. You'll need the exhaust manifold off the 4G54 engine and some exhaust work (at a guess...) Not sure if the trans mount cross member is the same either. Hopefully someone will chime in to verify.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by bwannabeast View Post
    I recently picked up a G54B with transmission for $100, I don’t know if it runs but looks in good condition. My g63b in my truck smokes really bad and will not stay running unless my foot is on the throttle. How easy would it be to swap them out? What would need for the G54B to run?
    Can I trouble you to post some pictures of the wiring of the coil and ballast on the G63B please?

Array
    Status
    North Carolina
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by 85Ram50 View Post
    Can I trouble you to post some pictures of the wiring of the coil and ballast on the G63B please?
    IMG-3136.jpg

I had a guy tell me that the timing belt could have skipped a few teeth and that could causing the problem.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    If the belt strips a few teeth, it'll still spin the motor. Luckily the SOHC engine is a non-interference engine so it wouldn't have damaged the valves.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function