Status
    Moncks Corner, SC
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B

Smile Hi! New here

Hi everyone!

I'm Jen and I have an 89 base mighty max. I've had this car since I was 13 and am looking to fix her up and bring her back to her old glory. I'm looking forward to everyone's help! I'm a decent mechanic and a low to medium budget. Thanks!

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Hi, Jen, and welcome to the forum! What a great history you bring to the table

Post up some photos and let us know your needs. You'll need to get the engine i.d. off the firewall plate so we know how to help. (Is it carborated or fuel injected?)
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    Moncks Corner, SC
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Carborated for sure. I'm still using the stock carb which has been a pain bc of the block to the adjustment screw! I'll definitely be posting pics either today or tomorrow. Now that I have her back and have another car for a daily driver, there's a lot of things I wanna do to her

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hi and welcome to mightyram. The screws on the carb you have access to are the only ones you should be monkeying around with. Any with a dab of paint on the threads are factory sealed and tampering with them will lead to high/low idle issues unless you know exactly what you're doing. If the engine is the G63B 2.0, you'll find it more forgiving to work on (timing belt kits are cheap and a breeze to install once you get into it) We have a thread for those who are about to delve into the basic maintenance stuff but if you've already competent with a wrench, these trucks are easy enough to work on. Ask questions and post pics!
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Tallahassee, FL
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?

Array
    Status
    Moncks Corner, SC
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Hi guys! Sorry for the late reply. I found the model number for the engine. It's pretty worn out, but I think it says G635 or GG35? I'm also trying to post pictures of Susan (name of my truck ^-^), but I can't figure out how to do so. But here's the list of things I wanna do to her. I'm pretty handy and can do most if not all the work myself, but would like your opinions on how I should go about it. This is kind in highest to lowest priority, but it's pretty flexible. Also I have a pretty small budget but will get more with paychecks

-Engine/Drivetrain: I wanna rebuild this engine and add a turbo to get it up to 100+HP, or swap it for a turbo'd I4. I rebuilt the transmission a couple years ago so the only thing that'd need to be changed there is the flywheel and disc.Oh! IT HAS TO BE A MANUAL! XD

-Paint: Right now Susan is White outside. Originally it had paint splatter decals (in red, pink, and dark blue) and I throughly enjoy that look and would like to replicate it but modernize it a bit. I'm thinking a dark blue base and a digital style graphic in white, red, and/or pink going along the sides.

-Interior: Inside it's blue with a bench seat. I would swap out that for 2 bucket seats (ideally from an old montero), get them reupholstered, and design and build a center console.

-Brakes and suspension: I really want to convert the rears to discs if possible. If not just getting better brakes on there would be great. Suspension is also a bit soft and has a lot of rebound. I replaced the shocks 2 years ago, but they weren't great so I'd like to swap all the shocks and springs.

-Body: There's a lot of rust, dings, and dents from the 30 years add the 3 drivers she's had excluding me. 2 of them were really rough with her so it made her even more quirky and beat up. The cab, bed, tailgate, and side panels are in really good condition barring some rust, but the hood, front bumper, and rear left panel have a lot of rust and have been impacted in pretty hard. No structural damage I could see. I wanna replace those parts and design and print a custom body kit using ASA and my 3d Printer.

I'm sorry this is really long but it's easiest for me to get it out in one shot bc I'm very forgetful If you guys have any input or advice, I'd really appreciate it! ^-^
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Moncks Corner, SC
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    20200601_155816.jpg20200601_155700.jpg20200601_155710.jpgI don't know why they're all sideways but I hope these give a better picture of the state Susan's currently in

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    The engine code is G63B - this is the 2.0 Sirius SOHC engine. The 2.0 can make more than 100 HP in N/A trim without crazy mods. A decent wide duration cam, some port and polishing on the head, some headers (add some header wrap...) and swap the Mikuni Carb for a Weber 38DGES. Delete the balance shafts and swap the clutch fan for an electric thermofan to improved throttle response. You 'can' swap a turbo engine in (4G63 twin cam Mitsu engine will mount up to the KM 5 speed without mods) but needs work to convert it to RWD which is not that easy or cheap.

*Advice - the cooling system... You really need to be on top of it as this is the weak link in these trucks. Chemically strip the radiator and flush the heater out as thoroughly as possible. Check all the hoses and the heater bypass pipe at the back of the engine. The intake manifold has a hidden boobytrap in it - they are known to corrode out from underneath as junk from the cooling system can collect in the plenum base, so I'd remove the manifold when swapping the carb and give it a good check over. If the base plate has rotted you can get the plate cut out and a new piece of alu plate welded in (this repair kept a lot of shops busy for years - you will see weird corrosion from underneath if it has pin holed itself) Do NOT swap the all metal radiator for a plastic/aluminium core unit. Get it repaired as they are far more reliable and robust than the garbage aftermarket radiators for these trucks.

*weapons grade way to clean a filthy engine - use non LYE/caustic based spray on oven cleaner and a brush. If you've been using cans of degreaser and the mess (plus the bonus of an awesome fire risk and the stink) has got on your nerves, this will change everything. One can should be enough to scrub a whole engine bay. Pressure clean it off afterwards (a lot of guys say no to the pressure cleaner - just don't aim it into the distributor or alternator...) and it'll be minty fresh.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Moncks Corner, SC
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Thanks for the advice geezer101! I looked into the clutch fan and Weber 38DGES and am coming up with some weird results. Im assuming "thermo fan" is what you're talking about bc that's all I've been able to find so far. If you have any links that you could send me, id greatly appreciate it ��

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Any fan from an online vendor or auto parts store will work. There are options (push fan, pull fan) which will allow you to choose which mounting method works for you. If you have A/C, replace the fan with one that will pair with the aftermarket thermofan. I'm not using a brand name fan and I figured 2 x 10" push fans were the biggest I could squeeze into my truck (Gen 1). Here's a link to my thread with the fans being mocked up

http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...ll=1#post70328

I got a shop to modify a radiator so the fan sender is mounted in the bottom tank - this will trigger the main cooling fan when it reaches peak operating temperature. Don't hard wire the fan off ignition power or any location before the coolant reaches the radiator, or it'll never get up to operating temperature.