Thread: idle speed takes a dive, check engine light then....

Array
    Status
    Winter Park, FL
    Vehicle

1994 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

idle speed takes a dive, check engine light then....

Tonight pulling into the local Mickey D's drive thru with a/c on and at an idle.....the engine stumbles, belt squeaks, then idle speed drops like it's gonna stall and the check engine light comes on...I turned the a/c off but kept the idle up with the throttle and drove it home never letting it idle. I pulled it into the drive way, I then let it idle on it's own, it did but like at 500 rpm, turned the a/c back on....and no idle increase, hum. I decided to switch the truck off to see if it would restart, it did and the engine light went off and the idle increased to normal and the a/c speed increased when I switch it on too.....what the hell. What could have caused that? The truck is a 1995 with a 2.4

Array
    Status
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Ford V8
    it smelled the grease wafting out of Micky D's and started to gag

Array
    Status
    Winter Park, FL
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by Fordubishi View Post
    Well needless to say, we didn't have the McD's...I guess that's a good thing

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Ether the AC compressor bearings or the alternator bearings. One of the things running off the belts is locking up. It will stall an engine. Start it and run it for just a little while and feel for something that is real hot. Also check to see what belt is now loose. That can point you in the right direction.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Winter Park, FL
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by camoit View Post
    Ether the AC compressor bearings or the alternator bearings. One of the things running off the belts is locking up. It will stall an engine. Start it and run it for just a little while and feel for something that is real hot. Also check to see what belt is now loose. That can point you in the right direction.
    Weird thing is when I start it in the morning (before any of this happened) no belt squeak, but when I would start it in the evening after work the belts would squeal...every day, both belts are tight and are new Napa units, a/c bearing is new as well.

Also today on the way to the parts store after work it did it again with the a/c on, (stumbled, engine light came on and wouldn't idle) so I turned it off, restarted car, light went off and car idled fine again. I then continued my trip with the a/c on only at speed, when I slowed or got near idle speed I turned a/c off....idle didn't slow nor engine light lit. So Alternator bearings maybe or idle up solenoid (does it have one?)

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by Fordubishi View Post
    lmao - Fordubishi = sick bastage

Urban Dictionary:
    Wafting
    www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=wafting‎
    The olfactory phenomenon that occurs when a woman who neglects her personal hygiene chooses to use "natural" sea sponge tampons or nothing whatsoever.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Pretty sure a 4 cylinder engine has to have an idle up since the AC unit strains the engine so much. My MR2 is doing that low idle thing occasionally with AC on. It is acting just like yours without any belt squealing. I'm pretty sure the throttle positioner or idle up is going bad. Yours could have bearing issues that is restricting the belt from free spinning at a normal rate. Make sure you picked up the correct belt also. It should fit in the groove correctly with full contact of the pulley and not be riding up high on the groove.