Status
    Richmond, VA.
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B

Looking for a coil

IMG_0269.jpg
    Looking for something that looks a little more appealing than this cluster.

Any suggestions?

Array
    Status
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Ford V8
    You can go with an Internal regulated coil from a more modern EFI car. (ex. 86up Mustang) or a MSD Blaster coil.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Rewire the ghetto fix with a better connection block. The solid state coil is better than oil filled coils and changing coils won't sort out the eye cancer wiring.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Richmond, VA.
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Coil has had it.............. If I go with a blaster coil or the mustang coil what about the ballast would I need to run a ballast with either of these coils. I have went to the local auto parts stores and they all carry a coil which looks like a coil on my 95 Bronco (looks nothing like the original coil) and they don’t have a ballast do I need the ballast? Or is it internal? Thanks

Array
    Status
    pa
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    I have accel coil . Haven't had a problem . No ballast .https://sportcompactwarehouse.com/ac...f635680f31388&

Array
    Status
    Richmond, VA.
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    I am going to order one now.
    Thanks for the input.

Array
    Status
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by maxdsm View Post
    I have accel coil . Haven't had a problem . No ballast .https://sportcompactwarehouse.com/ac...f635680f31388&
    Ugh, I had one of those on my Lancia for a few months, figured I'd replace the 30+ year old original stock coil for preventive maintenance. Why only a few months? The 1-star Amazon review I left here tells the tale. Swapped back to the stock coil, still no problems 10 years later.

When I bought my Ram 50, the PO had repaired some pack-rat damage to the wiring, and the coil was a generic aftermarket oil-filled can-type coil zip-tied to the stock transformer-type coil, so my setup there was even uglier than Lil Red's pic. Chucked all that nonsense, tidied up the wiring, and installed one of these a year and a half ago, been running fine ever since:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/381825243549
    1987 Dodge Ram 50 4G54 RWD longbed ("Elmo")
    1979 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Lola")
    1982 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Luigi")

Array
    Status
    Richmond, VA.
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Well wish me luck, I stopped by advanced auto they said online they had one in stock picked up the coil. Used an old thread from 86MAX on the wiring diagram. Truck fired right up. I do have one left over black wire that has a female spade that went to ballast that I am not sure what it does. But truck is running fine with no ballast wired as the old thread said. Sure hope it doesn’t take a shit in 5 months.

Array
    Status
    west valley, silicon valley, bay area, ca
    Vehicle

1993 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by SubGothius View Post
    Ugh, I had one of those on my Lancia for a few months, figured I'd replace the 30+ year old original stock coil for preventive maintenance. Why only a few months? The 1-star Amazon review I left here tells the tale. Swapped back to the stock coil, still no problems 10 years later.

<>
    1979 was the first year that Fiat and Lancia changed to the electronic Magneti Marelli ignition - and for Lancia Beta and Zagato the rare '79 only block mounted distributor. Also the first year to use the Bosch electronic alternator.
    That older Magneti Marelli system does not like outsiders.
    I have a box full of Blue Streak ignition coils and Bosch Platinum spark plugs that I've removed from many Fiat "parts cars" that I bought because they wouldn't run.
    I knew daredevils and I ain't got nothin' against them, ........it's just they're all dead.

Array
    Status
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by Lon Moer View Post
    1979 was the first year that Fiat and Lancia changed to the electronic Magneti Marelli ignition - and for Lancia Beta and Zagato the rare '79 only block mounted distributor. Also the first year to use the Bosch electronic alternator.
    That older Magneti Marelli system does not like outsiders.
    I have a box full of Blue Streak ignition coils and Bosch Platinum spark plugs that I've removed from many Fiat "parts cars" that I bought because they wouldn't run.
    Ah, I see you too are a man of culture. Funny thing about that Marelli e-ign setup, the ICM is basically a GM HEI unit, might be somewhat different inside but at least the same shape and terminals outside, and I did replace that with an Accel unit along with the coil, so who knows...
    But yeah, people putting platinum or iridium plugs on really any carb'd engine is always good for a laugh.
    1987 Dodge Ram 50 4G54 RWD longbed ("Elmo")
    1979 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Lola")
    1982 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Luigi")

Array
    Status
    west valley, silicon valley, bay area, ca
    Vehicle

1993 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by SubGothius View Post
    Ah, I see you too are a man of culture.
    <>
    Attached Images
    I knew daredevils and I ain't got nothin' against them, ........it's just they're all dead.