Array
    Status
    Cullman, AL
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

New Member in Cullman, AL with 88 Power Ram Sports Cab

Hi everyone. Just wanted to check in and introduce myself and my new (to me) ride. I recently picked up a 1988 Power Ram extended cab with 2.6L, 5 speed, sunroof, and factory roll bar w/lights. Not surprisingly it needs some work, but seems like the engine and drive-train are in good shape. Brakes don't exist, steering is very loose, as is the shifter. So obviously, it needs some TLC and a good cleaning.

I've been tinkering on cars since the late ‘70's (yes, I’m an old fart!), but this is the first Dodge I’ve ever owned (I’m mainly a Ford guy that grew up in a Ford family, so I don’t know diddly-squat about Dodge (or in this case Mitsubishi)), so I’m interested in learning more about this Dodge. I enjoy modifying cars and building engines to meet specific needs. I’ve spent hours reading this forum and want to say this seems to be an impressive forum with a MASSIVE amount of knowledge. More reading for me!!

On a side note: If anyone has any questions about Fords or cars in general, just ask and I’ll help where I can.

So with that said, here are the pictures that I’m sure everyone wants:

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50 (1).jpg1988 Dodge Power Ram 50 (2).jpg1988 Dodge Power Ram 50 (3).jpg

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Welcome to the Forum

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Hello 88 welcome to MightyRam50
    Your new truck looks great, looks original, nice interior, nice colors... Just imagine what a new Dodge Power Ram similarly equipped would cost
    Member "Salteen" just bought a classic Ford truck; he might appreciate you contacting him about how to fix it...

Aloha--
    George

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hi and welcome to mightyram. The carb'd trucks are straight forward enough to work on. The sloppy shifter and steering are easy fixes - just need new shifter bushes (maybe the shifter assy bolts need tightening or checking) and the steering links aren't anything exotic to rebuild. You will find that they are tough lumps and the 4x4 capabilities are surprising. Your truck clearly has seen it's time as a work horse but hopefully the spilled paint will come off without too much of a fight. I've got a feeling the wheels are off a Montero(?) The black and gold paint option is a nice factory touch too.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Newburgh, NY
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Hello and welcome! your truck might need some TLC, but it's a very nice specimen. The Sport trim was the top of the line model, with all the bells and whistles available at the time. It even has what some might consider the most luxurious gadget: a lockable glove box! Seriously, they seem to be very rare.
    Looks like you even got some of the "extra cost" accessories, like the cassette stereo and A/C, only things that the original owner didn't spring for were the low-mount mirrors and the sliding back window.

More photos please. Can we see the engine compartment?

Array
    Status
    Cullman, AL
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome!! I started cleaning and making a list of parts needed. I removed 6 spoons, 2 small mirrors, 4 box cutter blades and about a dozen alcohol prep pads…. So yeah, a complete tear down is needed just to make sure nothing is “hidden”!!!

Surprising though, I’m finding that this truck is bone stock. I have yet to find ANYTHING aftermarket, which is amazing for a 32 year old truck. So far, the only thing I can find missing is the heat riser for the air cleaner! But of course, as I dig into this, I come up with more questions than answers (like why do I have fog (left of the column) AND driving (right of the column) light switches since I don’t have fog lights (just the roll bar lights). So, off to the forums for more hours of research. LOL

Nice weather and a new toy/project/bottomless pit…. Good times!! Good times!!!

Here are some more photos as requested:
    1988 Dodge Power Ram 50 Engine (1).jpg1988 Dodge Power Ram 50 Engine (2).jpg1988 Dodge Power Ram 50 Engine (3).jpg1988 Dodge Power Ram 50 (5).jpg1988 Dodge Power Ram 50 (4).jpg1988 Dodge Power Ram 50 Pockets and Stras.jpg

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    It has power steering - nice. The original style all metal radiator (brass tanks and copper cores) - that will need a big chemical clean out along with the heater core (a shot of black epoxy paint and it'll be like new afterwards) Really pay attention to the cooling systems in these trucks. If anything is going to grief you, it'll be the engine overheating from lack of maintenance. There is also an air duct missing from the air cleaner assembly that runs next to the coolant overflow bottle. Thanks for posting
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle

1980 Plymouth Arrow Truck
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Nice. My dad lives not too far from Cullman.

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    Welcome to the forum. You got a nice diamond in the rough.