Thread: 1988 mighty max carburetor vacuum diagram needed(actual photos)

Array
    Status
    california
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B

1988 mighty max carburetor vacuum diagram needed(actual photos)

Hey guys whats up new to the site. And i have a bit of a little issue with a little mighty max i just.got in the shop. This truck came in with a carb issue ..turns out the previous mechanic installed or tried to install a toyota aisan carb even made a steel plate to make it fit...very bad job...anywho i told my customer we need to get the original so we did. Now i have the issue of not knowing were all the vacuum lines go since they removed all of them. I have the tag were it shows you the diagram but i dont seam to get it. Any help will be apreciated or guidence.IMG_20200406_093538676.jpg
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Welcome to the site. Here's a post with the general hose routing:
    http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...vacuum+diagram

Plus here's another below that shows the color coding of the hoses and 'T's. It's for the 2.6L engine but most of it should apply to the 2.0L. If you find a difference, just ask.

I believe some 'T's may have restricted ports, so if the owner didn't provide them, you may have to get them and the hoses from a wrecking yard. Good luck.

Found the diagram for the California 2.0L, the lower one below.

Vacuum_Hose_Routing_2.0L_Cal.jpg
    Attached Images
    Last edited by FMS88; 04-06-2020 at 09:49 PM.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    I would advise you to ditch the lot and install a Weber for your customer. This will eliminate all of the vac issues, make it a lot easier to tune and set up and is a huge improvement in performance over the original Mikuni carb (both power and economy) It will require an electric fuel pump to supply the Weber and trial and error to tune the ignition. In all honesty, the Aisin carb is a headache (not in the same league as the Mikuni but not much better)
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Siskiyou County, CA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by FMS88 View Post
    Welcome to the site. Here's a post with the general hose routing:
    http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...vacuum+diagram

Plus here's another below that shows the color coding of the hoses and 'T's. It's for the 2.6L engine but most of it should apply to the 2.0L. If you find a difference, just ask.

I believe some 'T's may have restricted ports, so if the owner didn't provide them, you may have to get them and the hoses from a wrecking yard. Good luck.
    Wow! that has to be the most detailed vacuum diagram on the vacuum setup I have seen, sorry for the quick threadjack but what book is that from? my factory chrysler books only show the functional schematic showing how the system works. unfortunately it appears that the OP is in comifornia like me and almost all counties except 2 or 3 require smog inspections every 2 years with all counties requiring it upon transfer of ownership. I might have some extra vacuum line stuff if the OP cant find a complete vacuum harness although everything I have has came from the 2.6L and I am unfamiliar with the 2.0 so I may not have everything needed for it

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Ah damn. I should've checked the location Yep it's gotta go back to OEM for the political officers of Californiastan...
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by StarquestMan View Post
    Wow! that has to be the most detailed vacuum diagram on the vacuum setup I have seen, sorry for the quick threadjack but what book is that from? my factory chrysler books only show the functional schematic showing how the system works.

The diagrams are from a Chrysler training programs book I found on eBay some time ago.

Manual_1.jpg

Only covers 1987 and 1988, but probably applies to 1989, too. Includes sections for the Colt, Colt Vista, (Ram) D50 Truck and Ram Raider. I've created a compressed Word Doc of the D50 Truck pages, but at 28mb it's too big to upload. I'll add it once I reduce it's size.

Array
    Status
    Siskiyou County, CA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Nice! ill have to add that book to my collection, you would think they would have included that info in the main manual but they did like to spread out everything into multiple books. threadjack over

Array
    Status
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Not yet... Here's the D50 (Ram 50) Truck section. Couldn't get the full PDF to upload so broke it into two parts in case size (or corruption) was the upload issue.

1987-88 Mikuni Vacuum & Electical Fuel Control Systems_Part 1.pdf
    1987-88 Mikuni Vacuum & Electrical Fuel Control Systems_Part 2.pdf

I skipped pages that were duplicate illustrations or ruled for notes only. Has very good illustrations, explanation of component functions plus some diagnostic tests - easier to follow and more thorough than the FSM. It's not perfect but is the best I've found.

Array
    Status
    Siskiyou County, CA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    thanks for uploading that! that is very good, very descriptive! lots of useful notes from a previous technician too. Im always surprised to find keep finding more and more books on these cars and trucks that I was unaware of. I currently have my eye on a book just for the body repair aspect of the Chrysler imports of the era. if I get it Ill have to scan it in too for everyone here to use!

Array
    Status
    california
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Hey guys. That diagram helps alot. Thank you very much. Im currently looking for the vacuum hoses or i might just make my own. Im down here in baja California. If anyone has them im willing to pay for shipping. Since im having a hard time looking for a donar truck or anywhere online. ...... Im pretty sure imma have an issue due to the t's

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    In all honesty I'd be buying vac hose off a roll and making them myself. You are asking for headaches installing ancient vac lines that have potentially perished or split. Maybe get some spaghetti sleeving so you can mark and ID the hoses for future reference.

Array
    Status
    Newburgh, NY
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Does anyone know the spec (size?) on the vacuum hoses for 2nd gen trucks, and where to get some?
    When I was looking for some earlier this year I took a little piece to every car part store trying to match it to what they had, no luck. I wanted to order on line, just don't know what to order exactly.

Array
    Status
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Measured a scrap piece I have and found OD = 7mm, ID = 3mm. Looked briefly on line and mostly found Asian and European sources selling silicone rubber hoses. If you only need a small amount maybe try a motorcycle repair shop. They might have something compatible.

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Measured a scrap piece I have and found OD = 7mm, ID = 3mm. Looked briefly on line and mostly found Asian and European sources selling silicone rubber hoses. If you only need a small amount maybe try a motorcycle repair shop. They might have something compatible.
    Thanks FMS88 I downloaded the Chrysler Manual even though my truck a 1986 Gen1
    There are some similarities that the manual can help explain complicated stuff (for me)
    The Gen2 carbureted truck is worse than Gen1 IMHO ~ no wonder many folks have switched over to the Weber carb conversion...

Jacking Complete ~
    George
    Last edited by xboxrox; 11-13-2020 at 01:43 PM. Reason: I don't know how to spell

Array
    Status
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    George,
    There are two Chrysler publications that might be more helpful. This one is for 1986 models but for those with the 1.5l engine: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-CHRYSL...wAAOSw9bpcjvhE
    Not a great fit but I bet there's similarities with your carb.

The other one covers up to 85 carbs on the 2.0 and 2.6 engines, so again not perfect but hopefully some is applicable in your case: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrysler-Co...kAAOSwq~FeuHLa

These might be more what you need than the Gen2 carb info.

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    FMS88 You're GREAT

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    George,
    There are two Chrysler publications that might be more helpful. This one is for 1986 models but for those with the 1.5l engine: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-CHRYSL...wAAOSw9bpcjvhE
    Not a great fit but I bet there's similarities with your carb.

The other one covers up to 85 carbs on the 2.0 and 2.6 engines, so again not perfect but hopefully some is applicable in your case: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrysler-Co...kAAOSwq~FeuHLa

These might be more what you need than the Gen2 carb info.
    I just ordered the 1985 carb manual ~ the seller of the 1.5L book would not ship to Hawaii ~ Thanks again FMS88