Thread: Ram 50 1988

Array
    Status
    California
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    I’m going with using an electric fuel pump. I ordered one seen in the photo. That should work right? Also what do I do with the obsolete mechanical fuel pump? How do I remove it from the closed system?
    7964C19A-F661-4008-AB61-8E4ACD92A1E7.jpg03E88FF4-6C92-4C1A-91B4-BDF32808D2B6.jpg

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    You canbuy a piece to block it off or make one. I made one out of sheet metal and got some shorter bolts. Use a gasket. I also plugged off the return line in the engine bay.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Got a feeling popular inline 6/V8's have aftermarket block off plates that will work for the pump delete...
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    California
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    I’m trying to figure out where this ground goes
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Assuming you are talking about the brass O connector. Have you had the coil off its mount? That looks like it might be the wire that is grounded under one of the mount bolts on my 85. In that area there is a ground on the frame and the battery tray.

Array
    Status
    California
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    I ended up using the 94’ head with an electric fuel pump.

I did a compression test. I’m thinking cylinders #3 & #4 are filling up at the same time. So maybe bad head installation?

I redressed the carburetor. Was a learning experience. Im concerned i got my primary and 2ndary jets mixed up. The Hanes illustration was kinda unclear.

also, my fast idle cam isn’t functioning properly. After adjusting the fast idle it doesn’t return to the set position.
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    Id lean towards needing a re ring on those two because they came up when wet. They are not so low as to show a break in the head gasket between them

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    a difference of 120 and 90 on an old cold engine is not bad tbh, itl run happily for many miles id say

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Maybe check the head bolt torque and see if they need re-torquing?
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Ford V8
    If compression is more then 10% between the PSI the engine needs to either be re ringed or bores need to be oversized. Compression can also be lost through valve leaking through the seats. In that case you need to remove the head(s) and either lap the valves or take them in to get the heads rebuilt. A blown head gasket will push combustion gases into either the cooling system or Oil drain back system. Check the cooling system with the rad cap off and if you see bubbling it's pushing gases into the system. My 302 had that problem last year and the engine would show it was over heating even when the engine was running at 160-175 degrees as Air will heat up more then liquid so the sensor was getting a false reading.

Just a few things to look at, hope this helps.

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    Pressure came up when wet, so it's the rings for sure. Can do a leak down test to check the head/valves.

Did you get the engine up to running temp before you did the test? If it was on a cold engine, then I wouldn't worry about it, again on those readings, if blow by and oil consumption wasn't excessive I wouldn't worry too much. Maybe think about putting a few bucks aside for a rebuild in the future

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Looks like a tear-down is in this engines' future. If the bores aren't ripped up and there isn't an obvious lip on the tops of them, a set of fresh standard rings, de-glaze the bores and a once over of the head will bring it back into service. If the head hasn't come off the engine, it is definitely due for new valve stem seals anyway. Fingers crossed you don't find anything menacing in there while it's apart. The head is the most expensive part of a freshen up - factor in a head gasket kit, timing belts and tensioner, a water pump (engine is out and it'll be the best time to do it) and bare minimum new rings. Consider new alternator/AC belts, a thermostat and new hoses as well.

Array
    Status
    California
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Where can i find these exhaust manifold bolts?
    2 of mine are done.
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Look up metric exhaust manifold studs. Should be able to source them no problemo Pull a complete one out and measure it (they should be an M8 stud) 1G Talon, Lazer, Eagle, Eclipse etc will be a good place to start a search.

Array
    Status
    California
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B

im trying to figure out where this (coolant?) port goes to on the throttle body of the carburetor.
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by PrestigeWorldwide View Post
    im trying to figure out where this (coolant?) port goes to on the throttle body of the carburetor.
    IIRC, that goes to the coolant tee on the intake manifold which also feeds the heater.
    1987 Dodge Ram 50 4G54 RWD longbed ("Elmo")
    1979 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Lola")
    1982 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Luigi")

Array
    Status
    California
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    thank you!
    one more

this guy right here. seems like a hose goes here.
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    California
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    thank you!
    one more

this guy right here. seems like a hose goes here.
    Goes to the vacuum box

Array
    Status
    California
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    https://youtu.be/veGXGMIZ33c
    new head gasket installed. dash of gas in the air cleaner. wont start. have not troubleshooted to much yet. but ive been fucking with this thing for a year. ready to be done with this. any guidance is appreciated.

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    https://youtu.be/veGXGMIZ33c
    new head gasket installed. dash of gas in the air cleaner. wont start. have not troubleshooted to much yet. but ive been fucking with this thing for a year. ready to be done with this. any guidance is appreciated.
    PLEASE DON'T GIVE UP ~ ANYTHING NEWER IS ELECTRIC OR EVEN MORE COMPUTER CONTROLLED <--- A.K.A. GOOD LUCK FIXING THEM..! MY TRUCK DROVE ME NUTS TRYING TO GET IT RUNNING OVER THE YEAR BEFORE THE PANDEMIC ~ REBUILT THE CARBURETOR, REPLACED THE DISTRIBUTOR VACUUM ACTUATOR, IGNITION COIL AND ACURATELY SET THE INITIAL, CENTRIFICAL & VACUUM ADVANCE TIMING SETTINGS ~ ALL ELSE ALL NEW (SPARK PLUGS WIRES ETC YADA YADA...)

FINALLY GOT IT TO START & RUN ~ THE ONLY THING WRONG WAS THE CARBURETOR FLOAT HAD LEAKED AND WAS FULL OF FLUID CAUSING A FLOODING CONDITION ~ DAMN HINDSIGHT IS WONDERFUL ~ SETTING THE TIMING WAS WORTH IT THOUGH, RUNS MUCH BETTER NOW

HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND GUY
    Aloha ~ George
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    just run through it methodically. engine only needs fuel + air, and spark (at the right time) and compression

it sounds to me like the timing is out so double check your timing marks, plug leads are going to the right plug.,

see how it turns over and then kicks back a bit, try retarding the distributor a little. maybe its out 180 degrees

some basic tests you can do in general when an engine wont start are

pull the plugs and visually inspect them while turning the engine over, you should see them all sparking if so ign is good*
    put the plugs back in and spray some starting fluid down the intake
    if it starts right up on the ether then you probably have a fuel delivery problem (carb jets blocked, float stuck, fuel pump issue, injectors not working)
    if it chuffs and backfires and kicks back then there is probably a timing issue

compression is a bit harder to test with no tools, but you will notice it sounds funny when turning it over as the engine turns easier on the bad cylinder

Array
    Status
    California
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    exactly what i needed, thanks guys.

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    With all spark plugs removed ~ A remote starter switch is handy ~ use it with ign key in ON position to test for spark @ each spark plug ~ use it with ign key in OFF position to check for compression ~ if your thumb gets blown off the spark plug hole then compression is good enuff to start & run the engine ~ good luck

Be careful with key in ON position because the engine could start ~ key in OFF position a remote starter switch will only crank the engine over but there will NOT be any spark @ the plugs

Array
    Status
    California
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    "A remote starter switch is handy" thank you
    I did rented a compression tester.
    peep my numbers.
    Ive been obssessed with these timing marks, this is the best ive ever got them.
    I was beginning a timing belt guide that would have me remove a screw from the side of the block to the oil pump, and stick a flat head inside the hole to verify that the oil pump was timed correctly. But that screw was a flat head set screw that instantly became a job. Also, the cylinder header with cam came from a newer model D50. But TPDC should be the same on all models of upper cams right?
    The engine lurching during startup is concerning, timing feels off to me to. The upper cam wasn't in the greatest condition. I have not checked spark on plugs yet.
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    California
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    https://youtu.be/55sN81qlh0g
    todays startup attempt video

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast