Thread: Torsion bar lifting Gen 2 MM....little council please?

Array
    Status
    New Providence,PA
    Vehicle

1994 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G72

Torsion bar lifting Gen 2 MM....little council please?

Hey...new guy here. Needed to raise/lift front end f 94 gen 2 mm with 41K original miles. MM was garage kept too so its in great shape but not perfect. Need to make it mine. Oil is fresh, It was owned by Mitsubishu Fuso for plowing a small parking lot and some local parts runs. One guy drove it all those years since new. When it needed parts, it got Mitsubishi OEMs. Anyway...here goes my first adventures notes. Evened up tire psi, measured height at front fenders ...was a litle uneven, jacked up front end, pb blasted threads, marked socket to count turns, them like 4 turns and measured, still uneven but a little bit of lift. Only fractions on an inch were gained. So, cranked a bunch more turns and measured cranked and measured, now both sides are even at about 34 inches whole lotta turns and didnt test drive it yet. Must have turned 20 turns. Do i have to cut off bump stops? I only got an 1 1/4" on one side and 7/8"on the other, but they were uneven side to side and now they are even Can someone please advise me if i cranked them too much? Are the bump stops limiting my amount of lift? Havent seen them yet to observe if they are holding me back. Are my tbars pegging front suspension to the bottom. Shocks maxed out or what? Ive read about not cranking tbars more than 2 or 3 turns somewhere. P,lease advise my next move. Goal is to fit 265/70R17's on aftermarket rims and mostly level up rig. Rims are 6x5.5. 9" wide and 17" with a -6 mm offset . Tires will measure out at 31.6" high and 10.6" wide. Lookin for Gen 2 montero uca's and could use a little guidance where to find the right ones. Also, do i need longer shocks also?
    Thanks
    Last edited by Cchuckster11; 03-31-2020 at 05:01 PM.

Array
    Status
    Choctaw, Oklahoma
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    I would think your bump stops are holding you up,well down in this case. I cut mine down to 1/2". My driver side t-bar has been stretched to much so now it sags on the driver side. It rides like a box now,but I am currently cutting everything off an doing a sas. I have 32x11.5 on a 15x10 rim,I can remember the backspacing yet,but I also did a 2.5 body lift.

Array
    Status
    New Providence,PA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G72
    Thank you Rcornsilk, This is mostly good news sir. With the bumps cut back, how much am i probably going to gain in lift would you think.? Do you advise me to back off the t bars all those extra turns to just where it stays at top maxed out? Makes sence to me. Im pretty sure no one ever adjusted these tbars up before. My tires are an inch narrower and rims also an inch skinnier than yours so the -6mm offset should be about the same as you wider rims...maybe a little less wide over all than yours. What did you use to trim up the bump stops bud? Ihave some air tools, cut off wheels , saw zall, etc. I have to find the bumps first but i've only had this lil mm for a week or so. Do i need to get some longer shock also? Not going sas or anything that awesome, but if i need room for tires and rims to clear, i guess the montero uca's are in my future soon. I looked online for montero ucas and then i noticed i think they have to be 1st gen montero ucas and NOT montero sports ucas correct? Advance Auto or Pep boys dont have them even in the whole country . Id like to buy a new pair loaded withrods and ball joints, you know right and left uppers. Council welcome here for sure sir.

Array
    Status
    New Providence,PA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G72
    Thank you Rcornsilk, This is mostly good news sir. With the bumps cut back, how much am i probably going to gain in lift would you think.? Do you advise me to back off the t bars all those extra turns to just where it stays at top maxed out? Makes sence to me. Im pretty sure no one ever adjusted these tbars up before. My tires are an inch narrower and rims also an inch skinnier than yours so the -6mm offset should be about the same as you wider rims...maybe a little less wide over all than yours. What did you use to trim up the bump stops bud? Ihave some air tools, cut off wheels , saw zall, etc. I have to find the bumps first but i've only had this lil mm for a week or so. Do i need to get some longer shock also? Not going sas or anything that awesome, but if i need room for tires and rims to clear, i guess the montero uca's are in my future soon. I looked online for montero ucas and then i niticed i think they have to be 1st gen montero ucas and NOT montero sports ucas correct? Advance Auto or Pep boys dont have them even in the whole country . Id like to buy a new pair loaded withrods and ball joints, you know right and left uppers. Council welcome here for sure sir.

Array
    Status
    Choctaw, Oklahoma
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Yes sir I've heard 1st gen montys will gain you an 1" or so. Jm not 100% sure on this,but it seems like theres been a few that has used them. The bump stops are on the bottom side of the upper control arms. I took a saw zall to mine, I had them off already so it made it pretty easy to do. To tell ya the truth I didnt even measure the before an after,I took them as far as I could to clear the tires. Also the little less width of your rim should be money!

Array
    Status
    New Providence,PA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G72
    Gonna cut em back tomorrow. Thanks a lot. I appreciate it.
    Last edited by Cchuckster11; 03-31-2020 at 04:48 PM.

Array
    Status
    New Providence,PA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G72
    Yeah ...well New rims are here. 2 tires mounted and balanced...waiting on lug nuts a couple more days. Gonna borrow a set of jackstands so i can jack suspension while frame is up on jacks. Then cutting back the bumps. Im thinking there is a metal shaft inside the rubber bumpstop to cut thru eh? Anybody cut theirs back too? If the front works out, then thursday i can get the other 2 m + b'd and be golden. Crossing fingers....hope the wheel studs are long enough for these alloy rims. ....HOPE SOME SCIENTIST SMOKES THIS COVID 19 MOTHA.....MESSING UP PEOPLES LIVES AND WORSE. STAY WELL MITSUBISHI MOTORHEADS. PRAYERS 4 ALL.