Thread: Mikuni carburetor

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Not mislead 85RamGuy ~ "perfect timing" (pun intended) as I should get to the point of finding it today -- I got my battery back from OReillys, they charged it but said: "it FAILED the load test, might have a bad cell..." My computer died the FAN ERROR fatal startup failure & can't upload photo from my phone SO THANKS A BUNCH for this photo you sent... I broke down 'n bought the remote start switch a dang cheapo innova Made - in -

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Yeah, setting the timing on a G63B/4G64 is a little easier than the 4G52/4G54 as you can see everything. You have spark - this is the hardest hurdle to overcome on a no start engine. Checking the timing is a PITA if you can't see marks but seeming you haven't pulled the head off or replaced the chain, you at least know nothing has changed there.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    THX geezer man -- got the battery installed & connected the innova remote start switch to the starter seleniod terminals S small terminal & B large terminal lead to battery and the starter motor would spin but did not engage the flywheel -- taking a break now -- going down to work on the truck in a few minutes -- 1st thing I wanna try is cranking the engine using the ignition key -- if the engine don't crank I will be very disappointed -- my battery cranked the engine strongly before getting it charged -- I just wanted to make sure it was fully charged after sitting 3 months -- it cranked the engine very well yesterday
    End Rant

EDIT: The remote starter switch is cranking the engine ok now ~ with key in OFF position engine only cranks ~ with key in ON position spark goes to the spark plugs ~ tested all plugs, they are getting orange colored spark
    Last edited by xboxrox; 11-06-2020 at 01:23 PM.

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Found the pulley timing mark & found a major problem -- can you guess. ?

All four spark plug wires were in the wrong spot on the dist cap ~ all off by 90 degrees..!
    Last edited by xboxrox; 11-06-2020 at 12:02 PM.

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    IT STARTED & IT RUNS

VIDEO of the startup: https://youtu.be/zzV380LVKFM
    Last edited by xboxrox; 11-06-2020 at 01:34 PM.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Fuel hose orientation? Fuel cut solenoid on the carb not connected? No fuel - at all? Distributor 174 and 3/4 degrees out?
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    geezer ~ once I get my laptop computer fixed I can post a photo story ~ photos from my phone are not accepted for posting here... The wife happened to get a not too great short video of the sucessful startup ~ phone can't upload it either ~ all the more reason to try fixing my old puter...

Finding that pulley timing mark was the key to unlocking the mystery ~ it was strange because original problem was flooding then turned into an ignition timing problem ~ kinda like trying to discover a flu or covid vaccine but the darn virus keeps mutating ~ the truck was having mutating problems (too many hands touching stuff over 'n over )

More later & Mucho Gracias to all you MR50 Whizards

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    can you edit photos on your phone? If so reduce them to 800x600.

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by 85Ram50 View Post
    can you edit photos on your phone? If so reduce them to 800x600.
    Yes I can & have but they don't upload here...

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Dead truck towed home for a 3 month bed rest before a Mikuni heart transplant ~ https://youtu.be/Z4d6O2W-dsY

1st starup & running, too much fogging oil, sounds like WWII fighter plane startup ~
    https://youtu.be/zzV380LVKFM

2nd startup it's still fighting fogging oil ~
    https://youtu.be/oOPcH3FYD54

3rd startup WWII Merlin engine sound ~ https://youtu.be/GYcKdK7hmEo

Notice the oil stain under the steering gear area in the 2nd startup vid

Last edited by xboxrox; 09-20-2020 at 01:31 PM.

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B

Before I started "fixing" on my truck it started first time by just pressing the gas pedal once then cranking it. 2 seconds of cranking and it was running.
    Your second vid is unavailable.

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

Before I started "fixing" on my truck it started first time by just pressing the gas pedal once then cranking it. 2 seconds of cranking and it was running.
    Your second vid is unavailable.
    Links updated & working now

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    8 days later how is it doing Xboxrox?

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    8 days later how is it doing Xboxrox?
    Sitting parked & waiting for timing light, laser tach and vacuum/pressure gauge test kit to arrive from Summit Racing -- ordered @ eBay a new throttle cable from seller in Greece -- have appointment for the annual State Safety Inspection tomorrow (no smog checks in Hawaii) received the hose pinch clamp set from Harbor Freight -- have thought about reassembling the J/Y Mikuni carb to visually inspect it's adjustment screw settings because other than leaking float that caused the no start, it ran well and had good slow idle -- should also inspect & measure it's idle mixture screw hole since the tamper plug is gone (might drill out the plug in the 86 carb to chase the high idle speed problem) Also gotta rechech TPS readings at idle & WOT and adjust if needed...

Hurry up and wait for now (one SR box arrived just now, vacuum gauge ?) -- maybe get motivated to epoxy my busted throttle cable -- working on the truck is like being a prisoner at night trying to dig an escape hole -- no vehicle work allowed in the buildings garage -- resident mgr & a few cranky security guards limit what can be done during the night

ALOHA & THANKS FOR ASKING
    Last edited by xboxrox; 09-28-2020 at 06:11 PM.

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Once it gets a leg over the fence it runs like a top The broken throttle cable is annoying. It would be at this point I'd either substitute a cable or grind the shoulder off the broken cable and squeeze clamp a tube/pipe collar over it to hold it together and use the existing bracket on the carb to hold it down. Tip - HD mountain bike brake cables make great throttle cable replacements - just add a brass locking barrel on the pedal end once you have everything cut and routed.

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Seems bicycle parts work pretty good on these Mitsubishi overgrown lawn mower engines my carb has a bike shop provided ball bearing in the sub egr he he... geezer your Macgyver skills are top notch & often become my Plan B

Tried to Safety Check the truck today but failed at that too seems I tossed my old USAA Proof of Insurance too soon when I got the new one as it won't apply until Oct 7th which means I can't legally drive right now hmmm... On a positive note, tach & vacuum gauge arrived yesterday & timing light should arrive tomorrow... Although, I'm rather NOT motivated to tinker with our toy truck... Must be a sign of old age... Soon as we fix a computer I can post some pretty photos again, looking forward to that...
    Staying Safe
    MASKED MECHANIC IN TRAINING

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by xboxrox View Post
    S seems I tossed my old USAA Proof of Insurance too soon when I got the new one as it won't apply until Oct 7th which means I can't legally drive right now hmmm...
    Don't they have a computerized system in Hawaii? Cops used to give people tickets in CA and I expect other states when they did not have a physical copy of their insurance card on them. Turns out they knew the truth one way or the other as the state Licensing system gets an automatic notice from your insurer before you even get the card in the mail they already know you are paid up. Anyway someone caught one and it they put a stop to writing tickets for no card if the computer records indicated you were paid up. You are still supposed to have one on you. Seems like that should also be true over there.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    We have a similar issue here in Oz. South Australia did away with registration labels which allegedly saved owners money on their registration but the cops from the former democratic state of Viktorya ambushed anyone crossing the border with SA plates for failing to have valid registration details on them and fining them for having 'unregistered vehicles' (yes, they have access to the database but that takes time and effort blah blah...) The added bonus is they chose to launch their sting on a long weekend when there was an AFL grand final being held in the body cavity known as Melbourne. Cops were racking up revenue like they were printing money. Now everyone has wizened up and has DMV printed receipts on them.

Fun tip - I have been told that if you receive a fine interstate, pay an extra dollar. Apparently it screws up their system and they are unable finalise the infringement records (heard it drives the cops nuts lol)

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Hawaii is the (only) or one of the only (USAA phone rep said: "ONLY") state that requires the Driver's Proof of Insurance I.D. card to be printed on the USAA Companies special paper with company golden watermark logos... A copy is not a valid I.D. Card and all copies sent via email & other ways are PDF saying in bold letters: "NOT A VALID PROOF OF INSURANCE" the only way to get a replacement card with golden logo paper is via SNAIL MAIL... So might as well just wait; have driven less than 20 miles total since June anyway

Watching our Presidential Debate took away all desire to fix anything -- so me and wifey had a nice walk outside this evening

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    My point was that the state has a record making the enforcement of the requirement to have a card on you a bit dishonest.

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    My point was that the state has a record making the enforcement of the requirement to have a card on you a bit dishonest.
    Agreed ~ for the lawmakers they have a lot a B.S. ways to get more revenue ~ I'm pretty sure the min fine for not having the ins I.D. card is $500.00 even tho the police officer can see on his computer everything there is to know about your insurance coverage... I got ticketed once in Seattle for improper display of registration once ($75.00 ish?) even tho the policeman said I can tell your registration is current and paid... I had forgotten to put the little year sticker on the car's rear license plate...

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Truck sits unused while waiting for drivers insurance I.D. card effective date to begin Oct 7th -- recvd timing light vacuum gauge laser tach to help tune the engine and lower idle speed -- no working on vehicles parked here at the apartment garage

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Hey everyone -- truck passed safety inspection & runs but uses A LOT OF FUEL; it idles about 900 RPM -- the distributor vacuum advance not working the actuator diaphragm gave up the ghost -- plugging the vacuum hose did not lower the idle speed -- O'Reilly's has a Acardone rebuilt dist on island $154.00 -- Anyone know if these distributors have mechanical advance in addition to vacuum advance? Time to as Scotty Kilmer would say get your timing light & REV UP YOUR ENGINES -- except it too might be broke ($÷<^%:35/)

eBay has a 1984 D50 W engine dist vacuum actuator that looks similar dunno if it might work on my 1986 truck?

I rebuilt my Mikuni carb and am thinking to just stop trying to become a mechanic -- initial ignition timing now set @ 8° BTDC -- fiddling with carb adjustment screws no help so far --

Day 2 of opening tourism and Kailua beach is busy again, I wonder about Waikiki ? Last night saw two couples get cited on the beach by police on ATVs <--- ? Why I DUNNO ??
    Last edited by xboxrox; 10-17-2020 at 06:16 PM.

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    Fuel hose orientation? Fuel cut solenoid on the carb not connected? No fuel - at all? Distributor 174 and 3/4 degrees out?
    Spark plug wires on the dist cap were all off by 90 degrees of timing, sheeesh..!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast