Array
    Status
    Lexington nc
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B

88 no spark

I'm looking for some help with the ignition system on my 88 2.0 with a Weber carb. My truck suddenly died and would not turn over when I tried to crank it. So I replaced the stater. Now the starter spins and turns the engine but I have no spark. There is power on the coil when the switch is on. I have replaced the coil and the distributor still no spark at the coil or distributor. The only other component in this system I am aware of is the balast resistor. Is this correct or is there something else I'm missing? What should the impedance on the balast resistor be? Where can I buy one for an 88 the only ones I see for sale are for 84-85 & 87.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hmmm, if you've got power either side of the resistor IDT that is the problem. Did it suddenly die or have you changed something recently? If the ballast resistor has failed it'll show typical signs - will start, runs for a while and then the engine dies. You come back later - same thing. The ballast will get white hot, easily hot enough to burn your fingers. The ballasts for Mitsubishis of this era are all the same. Even if the coil is weak it will still generate spark and fire under normal load. Check your timing belt and your timing marks (belt could've stripped a few teeth - it does happen) do a visual on the plugs. Make sure you don't have a dead short somewhere attached to the ignition circuit like the fuel cut wire to the stock carb set up.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Lexington nc
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Thanks for the suggestions I'll check it out. Any idea where I can get a pin out of the stock carb connector?

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    The fuel cut solenoid wire is the same as all of the ignition system power wires - a black wire with a white stripe. What are you using for power to run the Weber fuel pump? Is it still pumping fuel? - if not there's every chance the faults are related.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function