Array
    Status
    Christiansted, Virgin Islands
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

Trouble with both OD and Reverse Lights

I’m only finding people with either OD problems alone or Reverse Light problems. My problem is I bought the truck and the reverse lights nor OD was working. One night I realize that my reverse lights are working, and guess what my OD was working too!! Sadly after I broke my tailgate handle (If you have one say something please).

The other day it stop working by started working again. Anyone has had any issues like that?

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    I would get under the truck and have a look at the wiring harness. If for some reason it came loose and got caught up on something or has just frayed through from movement/vibration it would explain both of them not working. Either that or someone had pulled the connections and didn't know which connector went where. If the switches have been removed and the person wasn't paying attention, they could've easily lost the steel ball bearings inside of the switch galleries, which would leave them inoperable as well. A couple of things to check over...
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Thanks geezer101, I’m not totally pressed on it now because they’re working at the moment but next time they stop I’ll get under there and check. I just wasn’t sure whether to start from under the dash or by the tranny. Could it be a ground?

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    These switches aren't grounded - they're a loop circuit. Power goes in, power goes out. And they are 2 completely different circuits as well. Curious that they've both decided to start working at the same time The majority of the abuse goes on under the truck so that is where I'd start. That eliminates faulty or badly installed switch assemblies though...
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    These switches aren't grounded - they're a loop circuit. Power goes in, power goes out. And they are 2 completely different circuits as well. Curious that they've both decided to start working at the same time The majority of the abuse goes on under the truck so that is where I'd start. That eliminates faulty or badly installed switch assemblies though...

Yea they stop working again last night and started working again today. I know I have OD when I see my reverse lights come on.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Something is bridging the circuits together?

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Haven't been on in awhile, but just an update for those that may be having the same issue as I was. I found out that the fuse for reverse lights was not making a good electrical contact. cleaned it up, but it still jiggles in the fuse socket. When I'm driving and I have no OD, I move the fuse around and I can feel OD engage. No fuse No OD. So if you having OD issues, try playing around with the reverse fuse. Hopefully it helps someone out.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    That is a really important observation. Thanks for posting it. Seems quite a few glitches revolve around bad fuses... Hopefully anyone who runs into an OD failure and has a simultaneous reversing light problem will go straight into the fuse block and find the problem