Array
    Status
    Killeen Tx
    Vehicle

1987 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

I.D.K.?

No clutch master cylinder...

Hi everyone ..newb 87 mighty max owner here..went to check clutch fluid level and found out it doesnt have a clutch master cylinder where its supposed to be. It still runs fine but wanted to know how? Im gonna order a new one and install it but before i did wanted to know if this was some kind of mod the previous owner did...thanks.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hi and welcome to mightyram. There's something going on here as AFAIK all manual transmission trucks are cable actuated clutches. Any chance you can post a pic of it? This will indicate that it has also undergone a possible transmission swap...
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Kent, WA
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Get down under your dash and look at how the clutch pedal works. You'll probably see the clutch cable mechanism. That's what mine has. Be glad! Less maintenance than another hydraulic fluid to have to change.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    There are pros and cons with clutch mods in our trucks. An uprated pressure plate exerts more load on the cable through a weak point - the firewall. Sheet metal around the adjuster has been known to flex til it has become fatigued and subsequently cracked. Getting a hydraulic clutch to work in a regular gas truck is no mean feat and requires extensive mods, but it eliminates the firewall problem and allows more industrial clutch and pressure plates to be installed which is good for heavy towing or guys going for all out power from turbos etc.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Killeen Tx
    Vehicle

Engine

I.D.K.?
    Thank you for the help...here are some pics...when I pressed down on the clutch to see what moved it looked like the brake booster was also connected to clutch...20200319_170238_HDR.jpg20200319_170215.jpg20200319_170156.jpg

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    By the looks of things you have a cable clutch. I did see a clutch master cylinder on Rock Auto for the 87. Can you remove the aircleaner I think the cable come out the firewall behind it and you will be able to get a better idea. And rock auto has a picture of the master cylinder if you need that to find out.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Yeah it's a factory cable. The cable is tucked in there by the brake booster hiding below the air cleaner box.

Array
    Status
    Killeen Tx
    Vehicle

Engine

I.D.K.?
    Thanks guys y'all are awesome!!

Array
    Status
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    On a different note, why is there a disconnected brake line resting on the fender well next to the brake booster?

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Ohhhh, I didn't even notice that. Yeah there is something not right going on there

Array
    Status
    Killeen Tx
    Vehicle

Engine

I.D.K.?
    Checked the line and where it went and it llokks like it would have connected to where the original clutch madter cylinder went. Didnt see it go to the brakes...but ill get under it and get a better look. I really think its a combo booster (brake and clutch) like one of the earliest posts suggested.(well I hope it is or oof...)

Array
    Status
    Killeen Tx
    Vehicle

Engine

I.D.K.?
    Will investigate further...thanks

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    I doubt anyone would go through trying to reverse a hydraulic clutch set up in one of these trucks. And I have never personally heard of a dual brake/clutch master in a Mitsubishi before. Maybe someone did a BMC swap for some unknown reason and had to change the front brake line joiner to something mounted to the firewall (some had a splitter on the master cylinder and some have a line splitter on the firewall IIRC)

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    my guess is that a brake line was damaged and they didnt remove it when they put a new one in.

Array
    Status
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I agree with geezer101 that the disconnected brake line probably went to a splitter. I can't tell from your photos, but I bet it is (or was) attached to the booster below the master cylinder.
    Can you determine to what the other end of the disconnected brake line is attached? If it connects to a flexible hose that's bolted to the fender well and descends down toward the frame, that's one of two lines to the rear brakes. Either you have no rear brakes or if you do, I bet someone deleted, modified or by-passed the load proportioning valve that's located on the frame above the driver's side of the rear axle. If that's the case you can get by with that, but it's not the safest. If a front hydraulic line failed, you'll have no brakes at all instead of only the rears as designed.

Array
    Status
    Cant Say
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V6
    NO mitsu truck had a hydraulic clutch. not even dodge. its all cable for the manual. you probably have a KM145 transmission, which is the 5 speed. these are super reliable behind the 4G63 (i think is the name) and G54B (2.0 and 2.6)

Array
    Status
    Ca
    Vehicle

1993 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Hawkfan,
    A picture of the chassis termination point of the mystery brake line ???
    Thx!!