Array
    Status
    Kent, WA
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

Weber carb and air filter question

My truck seems to have come with a weber carb which is the best way to go, right?
    IMG_2084_weber_carb.jpg

Just got one question. Here is the air filter removed. It's about 4.5" x 6.5" x 2.5" high.
    It looks like it might be a K&N filter (or similar) and can be cleaned and reused many times.
    Can anyone confirm this? If not, what does this look like to you, and where would I find replacements?
    IMG_2083_air_filter.jpg

Thanks,
    cj

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Having the Weber already set up for you is a win. I can't confirm if that is a K&N filter, but you can buy air cleaner assemblies identical to that style on ebay for about $30 USD (K&N's are usually an oval shape) I am also not sure of their serviceability either. I am not big on 'open element' style air filters as they draw hot air into the carb from the engine bay and rob the engine of power and economy, but it's the cheap filters that worry me as if the filter medium perishes it'll go straight into the carb. That one appears to be tired but decent quality.

Got a link to listings on ebay - https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...r&_sacat=33549
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Cant Say
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V6
    This is the Filter that weber supplies woth the carb, I bought a 38 38 and this is the Filter i got, though a gray color not black. Idk if weber supplies a different brand for the after or what but that's what I have, so I can confirm

Array
    Status
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Having it already Weber equipped is a score, and that does appear to be a genuine Weber.

Curious it appears to still be using the stock-type mechanical fuel pump next to the carb, as those typically push more pressure than Webers prefer, and down-regulating the pressure tends to cause premature pump failure.

If that filter element media is just foam, you should be able to clean it out with a water-soluble degreaser like Simple Green or the purple stuff.

Otherwise, you can search K&N reusable elements by dimension here:
    https://www.knfilters.com/search/universal

If you'd prefer to duct intake air from a cone filter in a cooler-air location, plenum adapters for that are more typically made for the Weber DG(E)V, but I found this one suitable for your DFEV:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/283759965463
    1987 Dodge Ram 50 4G54 RWD longbed ("Elmo")
    1979 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Lola")
    1982 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Luigi")

Array
    Status
    Kent, WA
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by SubGothius View Post
    Curious it appears to still be using the stock-type mechanical fuel pump next to the carb, as those typically push more pressure than Webers prefer, and down-regulating the pressure tends to cause premature pump failure.
    Good info. So the installer may not have been that knowledgeable about fuel pressure issues. Is this something I should be concerned about? Like, will excess pressure cause the carb needle & seat to pop, resulting in excess rich mixture or even fuel overflow?

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    It will cause it to run rich at idle and lean on long open throttle. At idle, the mechanical pump is overpowering the needle and float but once you've got it up on open throttle on the highway, the mechanical pump can't keep up with fuel demand and it will starve the engine. Putting a regulator on it only solves the rich idle problem, but the mechanical pump is being restricted to the point where it damages the pump diaphragm and it fails. It really needs an electric pump to adequately supply the carb.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function