Thread: New owner 1980 D50 Sport

Array
    Status
    Lewiston Idaho
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    My family got me new front shocks for Father's Day. Got them installed yesterday afternoon and took a short test drive. Definite improvement. The old shocks were completely shot and could be compressed and extended without any resistance.

All that is left are the new tires and repainted wheels (waiting on second set of wheels to be color matched to the pickup).

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Family support is GREAT

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    What brand of shock did they get you? Always good to know this stuff. All you need is the suspension bushes and rod ends and it'll drive like new (or better)
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Lewiston Idaho
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    What brand of shock did they get you? Always good to know this stuff. All you need is the suspension bushes and rod ends and it'll drive like new (or better)
    These are what I got: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083WML17D..._N1I8EbZXSEE0H

The shocks that I removed were also Monroe, but were yellow instead of blue. I don't think that these were as expensive as the ones that I took off, but they are new and for my intended use should work just fine.

Steering and suspension components are definitely on the list. I think that the previous owner (prior to the young gal that I got it from) was obsessed with greasing things. All of the joints have been over greased and have grease caked around every grease fitting and boot. They all seem to be in good shape, just really covered up in caked on grease/dirt mix. A few of the boots look to be in rough shape, so I know that the time will come to get those all replaced as well.

Array
    Status
    Lewiston Idaho
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    I got the second set of stock wheels painted last week, and finally got the newer tires mounted and installed. WOW! What a difference having a matching set of tires makes! It handles so much better, and now I feel safe going above 50 mph.
    20200710_114925.jpg
    20200710_114958.jpg

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    looks sweet.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    ...and it looks like you fitted new centre caps and wheel nuts too. It looks sharp
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Fresno
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Very clean!!! Wow!

Would you mind snapping a shot of your motor & mainly ignition system, for reference? I have a 79 sport & I screwed up somehow when I changed the plugs & wires. Mainly the orientation of the dist cap, this would be vastly helpful sir!

I'm in love with your d50 btw, very nice work!

Array
    Status
    Fresno
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Sorry Valient! I've been reading through your posts & I caught your gallery photos. You've put quite a lot of love & energy into your d50, I'm really impressed. Forgive me, I am a rookie here, so I plan on using this thread as a reference guide & your work as inspiration to revive & resurrect my injured steed. I believe that I may have a cylinder head issue as well, as all of my problems began back when my radiator sprung a leak, so disassembly if the head is looming. Thanks for the documentation here, & glad to see your d50 is thriving!!

Array
    Status
    Lewiston Idaho
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by 85Ram50 View Post
    looks sweet.
    Thank you!

...and it looks like you fitted new centre caps and wheel nuts too. It looks sharp
    Thanks! Luckily my pickup came with all of its original center caps. I just scrubbed them up. The lug nuts are newer and came from the parts pickup that I had.

Array
    Status
    Lewiston Idaho
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by Onehairysalad View Post
    Very clean!!! Wow!

Would you mind snapping a shot of your motor & mainly ignition system, for reference? I have a 79 sport & I screwed up somehow when I changed the plugs & wires. Mainly the orientation of the dist cap, this would be vastly helpful sir!

Thanks! I will snap a pic of the distributor this evening. Thanks for your kind words. I tend to get a bit obsessive with my projects, I like things to be fully functional and look good.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Good paint, a wax and a clean always gets noticed but it's the small stuff that adds the jewels to the crown. And I've always liked the idea of having a yellow truck (I got one but it was a rolled wreck - and it was in better shape than my project which only rubs salt into the wound )

*What do you think of adding contour fitted mud flaps? It would help fend off some stone damage to the skirts and sills.

Array
    Status
    Lewiston Idaho
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Good paint, a wax and a clean always gets noticed but it's the small stuff that adds the jewels to the crown. And I've always liked the idea of having a yellow truck (I got one but it was a rolled wreck - and it was in better shape than my project which only rubs salt into the wound )

*What do you think of adding contour fitted mud flaps? It would help fend off some stone damage to the skirts and sills.
    I am actually looking for a set... I have them on all of my other vehicles, just haven't found a set that I like yet. I am thinking that I would like to find some vintage flaps to keep it all somewhat period correct. Definitely getting them put on before winter.

Array
    Status
    Lewiston Idaho
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Very clean!!! Wow!

Here are a few pictures of the distributor:
    20200715_172620.jpg 20200715_172635.jpg 20200715_172649.jpg

Hopefully one of those helps.

Fun fact: While taking these pictures last night I noticed a vacuum plug was missing on the intake... after replacing it, I took a drive and noticed that the truck seems to be idling better at stops... I put a zip tie around it this time. Guess I need to keep a couple spares in the glove box.

Array
    Status
    Fresno
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Valient, thanks! & extremely helpful! I was going down a vacant rabbit hole thinking that my dizzy orientation was screwed up. One little step at a time for me. Time to replace rotor and maybe dizzy cap.

Yup, I had this vacuum unit next to my coil that I plugged off and tied the wires together became see the barb broke. I noticed that you don't even have one, that I can see.

Array
    Status
    Lewiston Idaho
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Valient, thanks! & extremely helpful! I was going down a vacant rabbit hole thinking that my dizzy orientation was screwed up. One little step at a time for me. Time to replace rotor and maybe dizzy cap.

Yup, I had this vacuum unit next to my coil that I plugged off and tied the wires together became see the barb broke. I noticed that you don't even have one, that I can see.
    My engine compartment is void of all unnecessary hoses and wires. The only vacuum lines that I currently have are the advance on the distributor, the vacuum line that opens the air valve on the charcoal canister for the fuel tank breather, and the large one for the PCV. Since I am running the Weber carb and exhaust header, I was able to eliminate a lot of the extra vacuum lines that went to the carb/emissions/air cleaner stuff that is no longer there.

Array
    Status
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    I don't know why, but I think the orange bug shield looks super rad! You should paint the roll bar (if you can call it that) that same burnt orange color. I guess it's more of a cab ding protector since it doesn't provide the window any protection.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    It's more of a tradesman carry-all frame. I'd get a real roll bar after seeing what happens to Gen 1 cabs in even a minor roll over...

Array
    Status
    Lewiston Idaho
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Spence View Post
    I don't know why, but I think the orange bug shield looks super rad! You should paint the roll bar (if you can call it that) that same burnt orange color. I guess it's more of a cab ding protector since it doesn't provide the window any protection.
    The bug shield is actually red, it doesn't show up well in the pictures. The bang board was a hold over from my parts pickup. I really just have it on there for the dog leash attachment points that I welded to it. I just rattle canned it black to cover the rust that it had going....

It's more of a tradesman carry-all frame. I'd get a real roll bar after seeing what happens to Gen 1 cabs in even a minor roll over...
    The pickup already has holes in the bed and fender wells for a roll bar that a previous owner must have had installed... if I were to come across one and the price was right, I would consider putting one back in there.

Array
    Status
    Lewiston Idaho
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Update, been driving the D50 for a year as my work pickup (when the weather isn't good for motorcycling) and other than having to reseal the valve cover a couple of times to get it 100%, and the occasional bout of dieseling when shut off, it is still running strong. Just over 4000 miles so far on the rebirth of the D50. I am noticing that the front end needs some work as it is starting to wear the insides of the tires a bit, but for a bomb around town rig it works fine as is. My 16 year old daughter is in love with it, and once she feels more comfortable just driving a vehicle, we have plans to learn how to drive the manual D50. I think that she may inherit it as her daily eventually.

Hope all are doing well!

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Valiant a mechanic noticed my FRONT A/T tires had cupping on the tread ~ he said it happens on the aggresive tread tires ~ he told me to remount the front tires on the rear & mount the rear tires onto the front ~ the rears stay on same side but the fronts go to the rear X'd over to opposite sides AND it's working to level out the tread again !!

Doing great here Valiant thanks

Array
    Status
    Gray,Georgia
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    I love the look of that old school bug sheild any idea where it came from? Or is it homemade and if it is can I get some dimensions lol might have to try my hand making one.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345