Array
    Status
    Kent, WA
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

New guy and looking for help on valuation

Hi everyone, glad I found this forum and they let me join in!
    I'm close to deciding to buy a ram 50 and could use help with valuations. Anyone got an opinion on the following?

I saw one today, 1987 blue 4wd model
    long bed
    2.6L engine & 5 speed manual
    PS and PB; no AC
    250,000 mi
    seems to run and drive well, all gears, 2wd & 4wd
    body is straight, rust free, and not abused; couple minor bruises
    paint is sun faded
    tires are just okay but have minimal tread depth
    seems like everything works, I might have missed some minor things though

Asking price is $2800

Cheers,
    charger_john in Kent, WA.

Array
    Status
    Kent, WA
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    One more thing.
    It kinda bothers me that this truck has a bed liner and has apparently always been parked outside. Should I be concerned that the bed liner is concealing rust or damage on the bed?
    I was not able to lift it up and see under.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hi and welcome to mightyram. Prices are always subjective - it's whatever someone wants to pay. That out of the way I think it's an asking price and not what the seller will take for it. I think it's steep considering how many miles it's done. I'd knock some off for the tires and I'd get under the truck and have a look at the frame and bed. Depending on where the truck has been in it's life it could be hiding some scary rust. Typical places are lower front fenders, rocker panels and cab/bed supports and anywhere hidden in the frame. The bed liner is a loaded gun - could be a nice bonus or your fears could be lurking under it. If there aren't any receipts for engine repairs it will be due for a timing chain bare minimum - more than likely head work and a freshen up @ 250,000+ miles. The engine would normally have a timing chain and valve stem seals etc at about 125,000 miles. Eyeball the coolant. 2.6 heads are known to crack and if the radiator and coolant look sketchy, a cooling system service is one of the first things you should think about if you buy it (cheaper and easier than a new head) Look in the oil filler cap for gunk and check the oil. Look around for something similar if your heart is set on owning one and don't get sucked into buying the first thing you see. Remember these are 30+ year old trucks and you're going to need to spend coin on it either way. Don't think there's any other advice I could offer you.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Hello charger_john and welcome... If the truck lived in western Washington then you know rust won't be that big a deal... You also know Boeing causes prices for everything to be higher... O'Reilly's loans out combustion gas testers, pop the radiator cap, get the engine warm & see if any bad gas is coming through the thermostat... Put some strain on the clutch, it could need replacement someday sooner than later... If you like the truck & it drives straight & smooth then offer less than asking price; seller might refuse BIG DEAL offer a little more... PicknPull is your friend in Arlington & Lynnwood and Ft. Lewis has a body & paint shop just inside the FWY 5 Dupont Exit gate...

Former Everett Guy

Array
    Status
    Cant Say
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V6
    I would do it, but again, new tires, timing chains, I would just send the head to a machine shop. As for the bed liner I would say if it's in your area then no worries. If it's a northern truck then it's likely rusted to shit unless it has been sprayed completely on the underside (like mine the homeowner had the underside frame and bottom of cab and bed completely sprayed in rust preventative stuff.

If it's a southern truck like mine water is a big issue too, rivers, swamps, mud, etc (we have alot of clay here in the south east and if you look in the album of the 82, that engine is dirty af) but some regular maintenance and a good fluid check and you should be good to go!

Array
    Status
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Is this the truck you're considering?
    https://portland.craigslist.org/yam/...065736206.html

If so, it does look good as much as the single photo can reveal, but with 250k the asking price seems high, especially if it needs tires. As geezer101 stated ask for receipts of prior work. With that many miles I'd expect it's had significant engine repairs as well as trans, brake and possibly suspension work. Receipts will support the sellers price, but in their absence, a lower offer is appropriate. Consider the near-term costs (tires, title and license transfer) first, then take a guess at more long term, potential costs and repairs based on the truck's documented service history to arrive at an offer you can afford and consider fair.
    As to the bed rust potential, look underneath around the drain holes at the front corners of the bed. Also inspect the tailgate hinges for rust. Their condition might provide warning clues.
    Also, in case you didn't see it, there was a Gen2 4wd long bed on CL in Vancouver, WA. Body was rougher and the seller didn't state year or mileage. But he claimed to have rebuilt the engine. The ad is now gone and he was asking 1850 or best offer.
    Good luck.

Array
    Status
    Kent, WA
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Great thanks everyone for the responses!

FMS88 - yes that is the truck I looked at.
    The engine was recently replaced, apparently with another 2.6 that has 220,000 miles.
    I seriously doubt if any other receipts or history are available. Current seller has owned it 4 years.
    If it was $2000 I'm pretty sure I'd jump on it. A bit more ?? - maybe I'll risk it.

In the end I do want a reliable work truck and I'll need to budget $1000-$2000 for near term fixes.
    That other truck in Vancouver, WA, seller didn't return my calls.

Array
    Status
    Newburgh, NY
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    This truck might be too far for you, but check it out for the sake of price comparison. Forum member steve1814 is selling his blue 4x4 for $2000 obo with less than half the miles. It's not a long bed, but it's a macro cab with auto.

Here's a thread that shows some of the work he put into it (its a lot)... http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...ab-4x4-musings

Here's the ad https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...3436248656070/

If you like the ram 50 now that you know about it, maybe you can figure out how to get this truck from Maryland. Even if you drove it the 2,700 miles back home the truck would still have less than half the miles of the one you're considering, for less money. And you'd know that someone has taken great care of it and put a ton of work and money into it already...

Just a thought, good luck!

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    charger_john
    Assuming you drove the truck & bartered a price with the seller..?
    Assuming you had no cash & made no offer when you drove the truck & bartered with the seller..?
    Assuming you made no offer because the seller said he was firm on the price..?
    If you did not, next time, take cash money to shove in the sellers face...? A $2,000.00 stack of fresh $20.00 bills looks very good & tempting... Maybe have one or two fresh $100.00 bills to also show as you begin to leave..?
    P.S. don't flash an envelope with money inside -- pull out the cash & flash it..!
    Oh, as you look voice the problems/flaws you see to the seller, they will know why your offer is lower...

Patience & even stopping is good progress; a nice truck will be yours sooner than later... We want pics OK

Array
    Status
    Kent, WA
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by xboxrox View Post
    charger_john
    Assuming you drove the truck & bartered?
    Assuming you had no cash & made no offer?
    Assuming the seller said he was firm on the price..?
    If you did not, next time shove in the sellers face $2,000.00 stack yada yada yada...
    We want pics OK
    Yes boys & girls, PICS for sure, when this happens!
    I was prepared to buy on the spot but wasn't that sure if I wanted it. I'm warming up though!
    I plan to look at another soon.