Array
    Status
    Cant Say
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V6

Cutoffs???

I was thinking ig a manual/electronic exhaust cutoff for my truck, like a bypass pipe that goes around the muffler. I have deleted the cats, res, and egr system and I like the sound, but I dont want 2 tailpipes in 2 locations. Would a bypass pipe and a cutoff work? Here us what it sounds like now: https://youtu.be/Jd1E2zapQeM

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Yes a bypass would work. Get one with a dual butterfly in it so it shuts off the primary exhaust and redirects all off the gas flow to the bypass. Next is operation - manual cable, electric solenoid or vacuum solenoid? What diameter exhaust do you currently have? Your current exhaust sounds raspy - a straight through will be hell noisy. I've thought about doing this too but was thinking of having the bypass body somewhere under the cab and have the exhaust exit the side of the truck.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Cant Say
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V6
    It's the factory pipe, like 1 3/4 or 2" or whatever came on the 87 2.6L 4x4 short bed trucks. It's pretty small. I was thinking just a manual would do, but an electric would be nice. I will remember the detail about the twin butterfly.

Array
    Status
    Cant Say
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V6
    And it actually exits behind the rear tire right now. I like the straight through sound, but for normal driving I would like to keep it quiet. Like I said no cats no res no egr just some pipe and a muffler.

Array
    Status
    Cant Say
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V6
    I might change it to a flowmaster super 40 delta flow I have but I am gonna see how the stock reverse flow muffler does before I fool with that. Luckily the stock bolts to the pipe so if I dont luke it it's easy to put back on lol.

Array
    Status
    Cant Say
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V6
    And I could bypass the factory into a super 10 or a dual super 10 I have (I have 2 super 10 and 2 super 40 mufflers) it's some endless possibilities lol. I will be upgrading to 21/4 pipe sometime.

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    There are some good ones out there. I picked up a kit that has the stainless Y and the electric butterfly valve that you can install just before the main Cat.

Here is a video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSjpa22Gj20&t=14s

Array
    Status
    Cant Say
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V6
    Thing is I dont have a main cat, it's all gone. In my state we have no emissions control/laws and no inspections, so it's gone. That is a good spot to start a bypass pipe though. I would like to go under the muffler and back up into the tailpipe, or maybe even go right beside the muffler and have a super 10 or dual super 10 bypassing a super 40 or a factory muffler. Idk what imma do, but thanks for the tip!

Array
    Status
    Cant Say
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V6
    No EGR valve, no resonators, no catalytic converters. Both res and both cats are gone, pipe in its place. I am upgrading to a 2" or 2 1/4" exhaust, the collector tube that came with my header is 2 1/4". I am thinking I will bypass into 1 super 10 and keep the factory muffler.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Go up to 2.25" exhaust. I wouldn't keep the factory muffler box as it will defeat the improved exhaust gas flow with the headers and the rest of the system. I personally would keep a resonator in the exhaust. An aggressive exhaust is fun - for a while. Then it will get on your nerves. Then it'll get on the po-po's nerves. That's why you run a bypass valve on it - for those moments where you wanna scare the living sh*t out of some poor fool
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Cant Say
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V6
    That's why I want the factory muffler, I could re cut the opening to 2 1/4 and put in all new pipe, but the super 40 is a 2 1/2 muffler. That's why i cant do too much without adapter pipes. I have a 4" ice man tip from exhaust kings, it's supposed to change vcg the flow a good bit.

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    Put a full exhaust back on it. Trust me there are times you get tired of the racket and want quiet. I actually drive it more often in quiet mode now. No gas stink, or noise and i only loose 6hp.

Array
    Status
    Cant Say
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V6
    Oh, I am not using that truck. I am using a 87, the motor in it was bad so I am swapping the 82 motor out. I am keeping the muffler, cutoff or no. Here is my truck that I am driving. The way it is on Jack stands with me under it is how I want to to sit when I am through with it. Looking online 2 1/4 is perfect size for a single pipe and a 200hp motor. I am hoping to achieve that down the road with a turbo, intercooler, twin carb, and a head upgrade with towing cam. What did the factory star fire turbo engines make? If I can get a hold of one I'll strip it if everything except the fuel injection and I will run it.

20190322_142734.jpgScreenshot_20200118-214906_Messages.jpg

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Don't know if it's been recommended to you, but use a Starquest/Conquest 2.6 turbo engine. It'll save a whole lot of headaches. Turbos and carbs are not easy to get working together and the turbo 2.6 can make power easily with a few mods.

Array
    Status
    Cant Say
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V6
    Yeah, you said that in one of my first threads. I will find one (if they were even in South Carolina USA lol) and steal the stuff, or maybe just find all that online and get it brand new.