Thread: Electric fuel pump feeding mechanical pump with OEM carburetor?

Array
    Status
    Champaign, IL
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Please Select Your Engine Type

Electric fuel pump feeding mechanical pump with OEM carburetor?

So, this project I picked up, 1988 2.6L 4x4, has a Mr. Gasket electric fuel pump wired in. What doesn't make sense to me, is why, when the stock mechanical pump as well as stock carb are still in place? IS this a common thing to do as a "lift" pump with the factory setup? Because to my understanding, the truck should run just fine without it.

I'm thinking that the electric pump was installed due to a problem of some sort, however the factory fuel pump has not been removed or disconnected.

All of my experience with cars is with port fuel injection, so carbs are a mystery to me.

Should I remove the electric pump and just run the mechanical one?

Can I remove the mechanical pump (prone to leaking fuel inside engine when failed) and use this pump? https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...s/parts/12-426

Can I use a self regulating pump with the factory carb? Or do they not like that and I would need to run a regulator anyway?

Last question: When Installing a Weber DGEV 34/36 later on, (Also, is this correct size for 2.6L?) can I simply run that fuel feed line out of the tank to the holley self regulating fuel pump, and eliminate the fuel return line? I couldn't find concrete info on this.

Sorry for all the questions but I'm still trying to wrap my head around carby engine things.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    OK. The mechanical pump could be tired and the PO took the easy way out and fitted the electric pump upstream. Running a Weber - it requires a HVLP type electric pump (high volume/low pressure). If the Mr Gasket pump is a 42S, you're ready to go. Just bypass the mechanical pump and block off the return line (there is a ton of info on setting up a Weber on the forum) The 32/36 may need to be jetted for the 2.6 unless you're buying it new and it's been specified for the 2.6. If you are wanting a more modern designed Weber, the 38 DGES is the new go-to. Guys here have been using them and they've been happy with the results.

*running a regulator on an electric pump is a bad idea, they need fuel flow to keep their innards cool and restricting them will lead to a premature failure. If the Mr Gasket pump you already have is a high pressure pump, go onto ebay and look for the Carbole 42S. It is the identical pump to the Mr Gasket right down to part numbers except it's like half the price.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Does it run fine when the electric pump is unplugged?
    if so then hook a switch to it so you can use it when needed. I would guess the filter was causing problems and they could not find it. So they added it in not knowing where the filter was.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Newburgh, NY
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by camoit View Post
    I would guess the filter was causing problems and they could not find it. So they added it in not knowing where the filter was.
    Max, if you're wondering where the fuel filter is in your truck, you might want to check out this thread (stay with it till the end)... For whatever reasons the location on some models are trickier than you'd expect.

http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...model-specific

Array
    Status
    Champaign, IL
    Vehicle

Engine

Interesting, there were some posts saying to block off the return and some saying to use it with the weber.

The Holley Mighty Mite ($49) pump I would like to replace the unknown condition Mr Gasket with is a 1-4psi, so that should work too yeah? (I posted a link to it in my original post)

Also, I could delete the mechanical pump when still on the stock carb? (I have not done the weber upgrade yet but plan to in the future).

Array
    Status
    Champaign, IL
    Vehicle

Engine

Thank you. Ironically, my fuel filter was easy as pie to find, it was hanging off the frame rail. I already bought a fram oem replacement filter.

Array
    Status
    Newburgh, NY
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Next time you're down there make sure the original is not still there. On my truck someone added a new easy to access filter because they either couldn't find or access the original one. I found the original, juts haven't gotten around to replacing it, thank fully it's not clogged.
    If your truck is the regular cab and short bed, like mine, it's the hardest one to get to (you have to go though the rear wheel well). If you have the extra-cab or the long bed, it's pretty easy.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Yes you can delete the mechanical pump. There is a delete plate you can use off the shelf (for a Ford or Chev?) but making one out of an offcut of alu plate is easy. If the carb you're using has a return barb on it, that is straight forward to rig up but most Webers don't.

*The Mighty Mite fuel pump is capable of running a Weber carb so you're good to go on that.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Champaign, IL
    Vehicle

Engine

Thanks so much for the quick replies gentlemen!

Array
    Status
    Champaign, IL
    Vehicle

Engine

Update: Stock carb was fine. I drained all the gas, blew out the lines, installed a new filter, and threw in some HEET and about 5 gallons of gas. She now runs!!! Of course after sitting for 8 years the truck was a little pissed off, but tonight I’ve driven it the most it’s ever driven since 2013!

super happy, got the title today and the truck if officially mine! ��

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Most excellent