Thread: Alternate ouput shaft seals for 89 Ram 50 2.6L?

Array
    Status
    Kapolei, HI
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

Alternate ouput shaft seals for 89 Ram 50 2.6L?

The tranny oil was leaking the day I bought the truck. More than I'm comfortable driving with. I ordered a 2 pack of what I believe is the exact seal meant to be used (National 710319. Bore:2.283" OD:2.287" ID:1.496" Width: 0.433"). It's a press fit seal and I tried tapping it in with a large socket for even force distribution. Today I managed to bend both new seals after getting impatient from not being able to get them in. I already ordered another one, but is there an all rubber seal that I could use in lieu of the press fit? I've looked extensively online and can't seem to find one with dimensions that I would be comfortable with using. Every YouTube video I've watched of people doing that job involves what seems to be a rubber seal every time. Seems like it would be a lot easier than what I've been dealing with. Please help me lol

Array
    Status
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Is the transmission manual or automatic? 2wd or 4wd?

Array
    Status
    Cant Say
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V6
    I could not find one, maybe try a smaller socket?

Array
    Status
    Kapolei, HI
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    2WD automatic. Also worth noting, whoever installed the previous one did not use a press fit seal. It was all rubber with silicone sealer around the bore. I'm assuming it worked when it was initially installed or they probably wouldn't have left it there.

Array
    Status
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Here's another forum post from a member who appears to have had the same problem:
    http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...put-shaft-seal

From what I've been able to find, the MD951482 seal is smaller (1.575 x 2.244 x .5118 (40x57xx13mm)) than the National 710319 seal. Have you measured the bore of the trans tail/extension housing and the the diameter of the slip yoke? If you have those numbers, you should be able to find a seal that corresponds to those dimensions.