Array
    Status
    Cant Say
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V6

Help! Motor swap soon

ok, so i am going to swap the motor out my 82 power ram 50 into my 87 power ram 50, both 2.6L. my question is, what does it take to get both motors out? i know i have to do stuff like vacum lines and motor mounts as well as unbolt the tranny's but what else? am i missing anything? exhaust has been removed on the 82, just a factory muffler will be on the 87. what clears? what doesnt? thanks! -Paul

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    They are basic motors to pull. Getting to the transmission mating bolts are easy (some engines are so tight up against the firewall you need a crazy wrench to get to it). Heater and radiator hoses, throttle cable, wiring harness (starter motor, ground leads etc don't forget to label sender wires so you know where they hook back up to) Make your life easy and remove the hoods and radiators to minimise damage and gain clearance. Not much else to it
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Siskiyou County, CA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Before you get too involved are you positive that your 82 has a G54B and not the very similar looking G52B (2.0L)? I ask this because I once had a 79 parts truck that I thought at the time had the G54B but looking back I think it may have had the smaller G52B engine. also there may be an issue with it possibly having a narrow block engine in it, though I think the narrow blocks may have been only used for automatic transmissions, I know all the FWD cars had the narrow block but i think that they were in our pickups as late as 86' then in 87' they went all wide block. I am having a bit of trouble finding a reliable chart that i remember seeing somewhere that broke down all the different variations of engines so I could be totally wrong. just wanted to give you a heads up before you pull the engines out.

Array
    Status
    Siskiyou County, CA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    OK here we go, found a thread on info for our engines! looks like the G52B was used from 79-82 and is a narrow block although they did have the G54B in that year range too but it came in both wide and narrow blocks depending on manual or automatic respectively so you will want to be sure.
    http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...e+and+markings

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    All of the 2.0 engines used in our trucks were narrow block (4G52/G52B/G63B) Other than the anomalous G54B in the early trucks, the 2.4 and 2.6 are wide block. I think the obvious way of checking is the inspection side cover plate on one of the balance shaft housings (they were only used on the early timing chain engines...?)
    I overlooked the possibility of one of the engines being a narrow block - that would screw up the engine swap plan badly
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Cant Say
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V6
    the numbers match, its a 2.6 for sure, 60k original miles. both are wide block engines. both are G54B. the 82 is a 4x4 truck so unless it was swapped, which im sure it wasnt given its originality, it could only have the 2.6L. both are manual 5 speed, one a KM 132, one a KM 145. my 87 is actually carberated, so no tank swapping needs to be done, i can jeep the 15 gal. is a carbuerated 87 rare? i have seen alot of FI 87 trucks but i am the only one in my group with a carbuerated 87. excuse my spelling, lol

Array
    Status
    Frederick, MD
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    2nd gen trucks were factory carb'd until 1990. A lot of people swap in the 2.4L because it has bit more power and better fuel economy.

I would suggest taking this opportunity to freshen up the 82 engine, replace all of the gaskets and check the timing chain, balance shaft chain, and oil pump for wear.

Array
    Status
    Cant Say
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V6
    I am gonna redo it all, gaskets oil pump water pump alternator belts distributor plug wires plugs and the 87 intake which was better flow I think. I got the motor out today, I missed a ground strap. I'll splice it when the 82 motor goes in, no biggie. It was the one under the block.Screenshot_20200118-214945_Messages.jpgScreenshot_20200118-214906_Messages.jpgScreenshot_20200118-214831_Messages.jpgScreenshot_20200118-214719_Messages.jpgScreenshot_20200118-214706_Messages.jpg

The second photo it was on Jack stands, that's how I want it to sit when I am through with it. It sits really low in the front now, that's gonna get fixed when the bed is back on and the torsion bar are reset, as well as a possible lift up front

Array
    Status
    Cant Say
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V6
    You can see the frayed wire behind the ac condenser hereScreenshot_20200118-224145_Chrome.jpg