Array
    Status
    Cant Say
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V6

Radiator shenanigans

so I was looking into radiators for my 87 dodge because the one on it now has a slow leak, and these 4G54 engines are bad about blowing gaskets and cracking heads. The factory replacement is a twin core radiator, but i can only find a single core radiator. will it be ok to run a single core? where can i find a twin core? electric fan and a single core???

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    I say this plenty - heat is the enemy of these trucks. They suffer from heat soak badly. If you can get a twin core, do it. If you get a replacement radiator, get one with brass tanks and copper cores. The plastic ones are... well, junk. Hell, there are 3 cores around but expect to pay $$$ for a replacement core like this. I would find an aftermarket all alloy radiator and modify it to do the job (might take different radiator hoses to make it work) They aren't that expensive now. Next is to ditch the clutch fan. Sitting at the lights and stop/go traffic on hot days tortures our trucks and an electric thermo fan works when the engine needs it most. Too many advantages to going electric not to do it. I would consider going to a lower temp thermostat too if you don't live somewhere that gets really cold.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Cant Say
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V6
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    I say this plenty - heat is the enemy of these trucks. They suffer from heat soak badly. If you can get a twin core, do it. If you get a replacement radiator, get one with brass tanks and copper cores. The plastic ones are... well, junk. Hell, there are 3 cores around but expect to pay $$$ for a replacement core like this. I would find an aftermarket all alloy radiator and modify it to do the job (might take different radiator hoses to make it work) They aren't that expensive now. Next is to ditch the clutch fan. Sitting at the lights and stop/go traffic on hot days tortures our trucks and an electric thermo fan works when the engine needs it most. Too many advantages to going electric not to do it. I would consider going to a lower temp thermostat too if you don't live somewhere that gets really cold.
    thanks for the info, i live in southern america and it was 50-60 outside today so yeah it stays hot alot.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by Salteen View Post
    thanks for the info, i live in southern america and it was 50-60 outside today so yeah it stays hot alot.
    We've been regularly hitting the 110+ mark (40ish C) so I am a touch paranoid about cooling systems. I am even considering adding an emergency surface water sprayer for those moments where the engine looks like it's sweating harder than I am... going to use an old washer bottle with a couple of irrigation mist sprayers aimed across the front of the condenser/radiator and have a temporary contact switch to give the washer bottle a short burst onto everything.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function