Array
    Status
    Orange Park, FL
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

Exclamation More of a RE-build Thread

[EDIT 10/23/17: I've gone through and fixed all the broken Photobucket image links, and instead have attached the images, so they shouldn't become broken again]

Like the title states, this is more of a repair thread than it is a build thread. Bought this truck for $1400.. over paid, big time. Here she is in all her glory

IMG_1428.jpg

And here she sits.. now

IMG_1470.jpg

I've been doing nothing but repair it. Previous owner said it ran fine without the MAF hooked up. Assumed it was just a bad MAF, and that's all that needed replacing. Nope.. I've got a can of worms on my hands. Been through 3 of those suckers, no difference in the way it runs. It runs rough and misfires badly. So this is my diagnosis thread of what I've had to do so far to figure this truck out.

Tally list so far:
    • Swapped out the ECU with another one that functioned fine
    • New O2 sensor
    • Swapped out 2 more MAF's.. no change
    • New distributor cap,wires, and plugs
    • New fuel filter

There's probably more in there, nothing I can think off off the top of my head right now. I have checked all wires.. fuses.. any connections to see for corrosion. Can't find a thing. Vacuum hoses all looked great, until now since I hacked them up to remove the intake plenum and throttle body. I'm merely going on blind gut feelings now.

Which brings me to my current operation, replacing the fuel injectors with used ones that were on my old truck (which ran fine). I didn't bother testing the injectors to see whether or not they were bad.. I couldn't think of anything else that could be the problem at the time, so I started wrenching away. Got the intake plenum and throttle body off. Didn't realize until afterwards I didn't even need to remove the plenum to get to the fuel rail. Thanks go to the Haynes manual on that one!

IMG_1467.jpg

I've got the intake plenum reinstalled. Just waiting on the new O-rings to arrive to continue re-assembly. Apparently no auto parts store here carries on hand the rings that go onto the forward spraying end of the injectors. Think I'm gonna also replace the regulator as well while I've got it right in front of me.

But that's the idea of this thread. I'm going to keep updating it each time I replace or repair something related to this ongoing issue. Once I fix this truck, hopefully this thread might come in handy for someone else having a similar problem. My actual build thread will come once this truck gets running good.
    Last edited by blindeyed; 10-23-2017 at 06:40 PM.
    - Jason
    1995 Mighty Max || FQuick | My Build Thread

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

6G72
    I swapped a used japanese imported motor into my '91 and it idled fine but ran rough on acceleration, had the injectors cleaned and reinstalled w/ new o rings and it runs great. Are you sure the timing is set correctly? Has the timing belt been changed lately, which could have been an opportunity for the timing to be set incorrectly.

Array
    Status
    Orange Park, FL
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    I'm no expert on timing, but from what I could tell it seemed to be lined up correctly. I had to replace the water pump right after I got it because it was leaking. Removed the timing belt to do so and while reassembling it I made sure to not move the crank or the cam. Before I removed it, I set it to TDC. Can't say for sure if the camshaft was lined up perfectly. The timing mark wasn't exactly easy to find. It was really just an educated guess with the help of a crappy Haynes manual.

And since I'm a little terrified of messing with timing, I'm saving the distributor and any timing adjustments for last. I'm worried I'll just mess things up even worse. One of those situations where I would feel more comfortable with an expert looking over my shoulder and teaching me ya know. I've watched dozens of videos and read countless articles on how to set timing.. but nothing was really clearly explained enough for me to grasp.

Weird thing is, when the mass air flow isn't plugged in, the computer goes into "limp" mode and mechanically it will run fine. No misfires, or bogging down at all. But doing so, it will get around 8mpg, and the exhaust manifold starts glowing red hot. After I realized that I parked it. So it's been hard to tell if it's something electronic somewhere (despite all the sensors I've swapped out) or if it's something mechanical related.
    - Jason

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    Don't loose hope man. I replaced my injector o rings with some grommets at home depot. Way cheaper then the dealership, but this in on a dsm 4g63 in my max. Hope you find the problem soon. Oh, and try to test for fuel pressure and vacuume. A vac leak can lower idle and a big vac leak can cause a really bad stumble to a stall. Similar to the mpi relay acting up causing bad fuel pressure.

Array
    Status
    Orange Park, FL
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by 4doorciv View Post
    Similar to the mpi relay acting up causing bad fuel pressure.
    What is this MPI relay you speak of, and where is it located? Haven't heard of it.

Definitely not giving up hope, already did that on my last truck and sold it. This time around, if I gotta replace every bolt on this truck to get it going then so be it.
    - Jason

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    The mpi relay is the fuel pump relay I believe. I have on on my eclipse wiring harness that is closest to the ecu. I seen one on lsr mike's truck in his picture thread of his buildup. I am not too sure if yours is in the same place though.

Array
    Status
    Orange Park, FL
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Great news! The truck is running!

To all of those who posted, thanks a ton for your help! I did some more research last night on the coolant temperature sensor, and 4door, you nailed it on the head. Computer relies on that to help determine how much fuel to dump. Took the old one out, it was nasty, gunked up and corroded. New one in, it no longer stalls out after a few seconds of running. However, it was still running horribly as if it were about to stall out.

For shits and giggles, I figured I'd play with the distributor and try advancing/retarding the timing to see if that helps. What do you know.. it purrs now. Well, not really, the exhaust manifold leaks badly at the down pipe connection so it sounds like crap.. but compared to before, sounds like a freakin BMW.

Goes to show how simple the solution really can be. Not to mention how dumb it can make you feel for not thinking of it earlier

Haven't taken it for a test drive yet, probably will in the next couple of days. Will report back with more then.
    - Jason

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    So it's like flying in a Cessna airplane.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V8
    Lmfao^^^^^

glad to see you got it running better man......

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    Glad you got it running. I just gotta wait for a burnout video. jk. Happy trucking.

Array
    Status
    Orange Park, FL
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Just took it for a test drive around the block (didn't want to jinx myself, and have it break down) and it ran great. Better than I could have hoped! It still has a slight hesitation to it, nothing too noticeable. Pretty sure the timing still isn't dead on. But at least now I can drive it to a shop or something. Going to try to find someone local to help show me how to do timing. One of those things where I need an instructor, a book or pictures just don't work for me.
    - Jason

Array
    Status
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B-T
    Quote Originally Posted by blindeyed View Post
    Just took it for a test drive around the block (didn't want to jinx myself, and have it break down) and it ran great. Better than I could have hoped! It still has a slight hesitation to it, nothing too noticeable. Pretty sure the timing still isn't dead on. But at least now I can drive it to a shop or something. Going to try to find someone local to help show me how to do timing. One of those things where I need an instructor, a book or pictures just don't work for me.
    Give me a call man.....we can make it happen.

Array
    Status
    Orange Park, FL
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by crvtec90 View Post
    Give me a call man.....we can make it happen.
    Awesome man, thanks. I'm off work the next 2 days, I'll hit you up.
    - Jason

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    You got a timing light? That's always a first step. Lol. Then you follow the directions in the manual on how to get base timing instead of timing advance and adjust the distributor till you got the right timing. I'm sure it shouldn't be much at a shop though. Gl.

Array
    Status
    Orange Park, FL
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Long time, no update..

Truck has been running great the past week or so. Even better recently, until it started blowing smoke out of the tailpipe. At start-ups.. I was used to it and didn't mind so much. But recently it started blowing smoke while driving.. sitting at red lights.. and got even worse at start-up. So I knew the time had come to replace the valve guide seals. With much success, I knocked it out with flying colors. This was the issue I had on the last truck. I over torqued the valve cover and broke one of the camshaft main bearings, then the front of the rocker assembly had broken in half, and in the end I dropped a valve in the cylinder. So sadly, I wiped my hands clean of that truck.

I was terrified of destroying this one. But fortunately, learning from my mistakes, nothing went wrong, and she no longer burns oil or blows any smoke. Oh, what a relief. Here's a comparison shot of my filthy valve cover before and after I cleaned it during this process.

Before (when I was replacing the injectors):

IMG_1470.jpg

After:

IMG_1484b.jpg

and if you notice, I did a small wire tuck. Instead of having the wire harness come over the valve cover in front of the intake tube; I ran in behind it and under the throttle body. Much cleaner look IMO

IMG_1481.JPG
    Last edited by blindeyed; 10-23-2017 at 05:53 PM.
    - Jason

Array
    Status
    Fernley, NV 89408
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    now for some cold air intake

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    Good update. You seen honda-tech forums? They got a lot of wire tuck info on there.

Array
    Status
    Orange Park, FL
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by dmr8x2 View Post
    now for some cold air intake
    It has a mass air flow adapter on it that allows it to fit a cone filter. It's not technically a cold air intake, but a nice upgrade over stock. I don't plan on doing a CAI since it's a daily driver and I enjoy running through the deep puddles

Quote Originally Posted by 4doorciv View Post
    Good update. You seen honda-tech forums? They got a lot of wire tuck info on there.
    Thanks. I've browsed on there a time or two. I won't be going gung-ho on wire tucking. But if I can find a better, less of an eye sore, way to route wires.. then I'm going to take it
    - Jason

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    The deep puddles make the best waves. Lol. It was just a suggestion if you were going further into a wire tuck.

Array
    Status
    Orange Park, FL
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Motor is still running good, so I was finally able to focus on something else today. Got my new back slider glass and new weather stripping installed.

Out with the old

IMG_1489.JPG

and in with the new

IMG_1490.JPG

IMG_1491.JPG

IMG_1492.JPG

Will finally be able to see behind me now! The old glass was etched with some logos, making it nearly impossible to see through it and the 2 layers of tint. Next plan is to get the new glass along with the side windows tinted.

Total investment on these:
    $15 for the brand new glass (ebay)
    $60 on the new weather stripping (JCWitney)

Ironic I got the glass for 1/4 of the cost of the weather stripping, but I'm pleased overall for $75 and only 15 minutes of work removing and installing.
    Last edited by blindeyed; 10-23-2017 at 06:02 PM.
    - Jason

Array
    Status
    Chesterton, IN
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    i really wish you would have taken some pics during the swap and a little how to...id like to remove mine and re weather strip but not completely sure on how to...

Array
    Status
    Orange Park, FL
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    It was honestly ridiculously easy. This was my first time ever doing one.

I watched these two videos to gain some perspective on how to do it, they should help you too.
    http://youtu.be/ZVJdYinyASs
    http://youtu.be/hW-2PD-hcCM

All you really need is a flat head screw driver to pry the window out, and about 12 feet of small string, which I got from wal-mart for $1. They have it in the craft section, just look for some that is about the size of kite string. When installing the window, you wrap the string in the weather stripping and spray the whole seal down with some water/dish soap mix. Have a friend hold it in place, and pull the string from inside the cab. It grabs the lip of the weather stripping and lifts it over the edge and inside. If you can change a spark plug, then this is nothing.

Here's another link that might help you with the install:
    http://www.fordmuscle.com/2007/05/in...ng-back-glass/
    Last edited by blindeyed; 06-30-2011 at 06:05 PM.
    - Jason

Array
    Status
    Bolivar, TN
    Vehicle

1992 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    It is really easy. I had to replace the back glass in my '92 Ram 50 after someone CUT IT OUT and stole it, along with my speakers, amp, and cd's.

Anyway, my boss at the body shop I worked at at the time found me a back glass and seal for $35 at a nearby salvage yard. A short trip later and I was back with it and ready to put it in. Having never installed one of this type before, I asked one of the guys I worked with to help me. We had it installed in less than five minutes. More like three. This was in '96, and it's been in and problem-free ever since... until now. It's not really a problem (yet), but I noticed the weatherstripping/seal is starting to split in places, and when you rub your finger or a rag across it, it'll leave you with a nice black mark for your troubles. Time is catching up to it, so it looks like a replacement is in my future.

What I'm really trying to say, in my long-winded-ass way, is that replacing yours shouldn't give you any problems or headaches.

Array
    Status
    Chesterton, IN
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    nice to know..i see a new rear window seal in my future.

Array
    Status
    Orange Park, FL
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Scored a set of "new" rims yesterday for the truck! They came with 4 pretty decent tires too. Finally, something on my truck actually looks good!

IMG_1496.jpg

IMG_1498.jpg

IMG_1497.jpg

They came with all 4 center caps too, I just didn't put them on yet. Cleaned them all last night, they were pretty filthy. They still need some polishing pretty bad, but man they look a ton better than my mismatched set of rims I had before.

Also.. don't ask about the primered rectangles on the doors. I have.. no idea? Possibly a decal was there that got painted over.. Seriously, the whole truck looks like it was roll painted with some rustoleum.
    Last edited by blindeyed; 10-23-2017 at 06:04 PM.
    - Jason

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast