Array
    Status
    Orange Park, FL
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

Exclamation More of a RE-build Thread

[EDIT 10/23/17: I've gone through and fixed all the broken Photobucket image links, and instead have attached the images, so they shouldn't become broken again]

Like the title states, this is more of a repair thread than it is a build thread. Bought this truck for $1400.. over paid, big time. Here she is in all her glory

IMG_1428.jpg

And here she sits.. now

IMG_1470.jpg

I've been doing nothing but repair it. Previous owner said it ran fine without the MAF hooked up. Assumed it was just a bad MAF, and that's all that needed replacing. Nope.. I've got a can of worms on my hands. Been through 3 of those suckers, no difference in the way it runs. It runs rough and misfires badly. So this is my diagnosis thread of what I've had to do so far to figure this truck out.

Tally list so far:
    • Swapped out the ECU with another one that functioned fine
    • New O2 sensor
    • Swapped out 2 more MAF's.. no change
    • New distributor cap,wires, and plugs
    • New fuel filter

There's probably more in there, nothing I can think off off the top of my head right now. I have checked all wires.. fuses.. any connections to see for corrosion. Can't find a thing. Vacuum hoses all looked great, until now since I hacked them up to remove the intake plenum and throttle body. I'm merely going on blind gut feelings now.

Which brings me to my current operation, replacing the fuel injectors with used ones that were on my old truck (which ran fine). I didn't bother testing the injectors to see whether or not they were bad.. I couldn't think of anything else that could be the problem at the time, so I started wrenching away. Got the intake plenum and throttle body off. Didn't realize until afterwards I didn't even need to remove the plenum to get to the fuel rail. Thanks go to the Haynes manual on that one!

IMG_1467.jpg

I've got the intake plenum reinstalled. Just waiting on the new O-rings to arrive to continue re-assembly. Apparently no auto parts store here carries on hand the rings that go onto the forward spraying end of the injectors. Think I'm gonna also replace the regulator as well while I've got it right in front of me.

But that's the idea of this thread. I'm going to keep updating it each time I replace or repair something related to this ongoing issue. Once I fix this truck, hopefully this thread might come in handy for someone else having a similar problem. My actual build thread will come once this truck gets running good.
    Last edited by blindeyed; 10-23-2017 at 06:40 PM.
    - Jason
    1995 Mighty Max || FQuick | My Build Thread